Stuff flying all over the place! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2017, 04:23 PM   #1

Name: Riki
Trailer: 1976 Boler
British Columbia
Stuff flying all over the place!

Hi all,

We went on a four week trailer trip with our 1974 Boler trailer that we got in April. Everytime we travelled with it, all of our stuff would be all over the trailer. Cushions, curtains, etc. We are towing it with a 2003 Subaru impreza outback.

Is this normal? Do the bearings need to be re-packed? Any others suggestions?

Thank you!!

Rebecca
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5759.jpg  
rdyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:01 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Not normal. I'd start by checking the axle. Jack up the trailer on the frame behind the wheel and see how much the axle arm drops as the frame rises. Several inches is normal. Little or no movement means the rubber inside is hardened and the axle is aged out. Rubber torsion axles have a lifespan of 15-20 years but can keep on rolling well beyond that with gradually decreasing ride quality. Inside tire wear is another indicator of a worn out axle, but that would only show up if the tires have some miles on them.

If the axle is good, check tire pressure, condition, age, and wheel balance.

Wheel bearings wouldn't normally cause excessive bouncing, but you should definitely check them with a new-to-you trailer. If they run cool, there is no excessive play (with trailer raised grip the tire at 9 and 3 o'clock and try to wiggle back and forth), and a spin doesn't bring any unusual noise or roughness, you're probably okay for now.

The lower table support should be held in its wall bracket with a plastic retaining clip. That will at least keep the table from jumping out of its lowered position. Pretty sure most RV stores would carry the clips.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1867.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	372.8 KB
ID:	112933
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:34 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
In addition to Jon's advice, how and where you stow things can also help things "kind of" stay put. I keep anything heavy on the floor pretty much over the axle. The table is in the bed mode with only tote bags and pillows on it. Even with a good axle, TTs are kind of known as a rolling earthquake
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:26 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Unless the axle has been replaced, that's most likely the problem. Our former 1974 Boler 13 had the original axle when we bought it. It bounced down the road to the point that it jerked the tow vehicle. Needless to say, we replaced it and the problem went away, i.e., very smooth ride.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:45 PM   #5

British Columbia
Thanks for the info! What was it like to replace the axel? Do you remember how much it cost?
Old 10-22-2017, 10:46 PM   #6

British Columbia
Thanks so much for all the advise. Going to go take a look at it this week and see if we can figure it out.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:18 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
The biggest cause of stuff "flying around" is driving too fast, and/or rough roads and going too fast. Slow down the trailer will bounce around less and slow down a whole lot more on rough roads.

The other thing you can do is to keep heavier stuff from hitting the cupboard doors. I put plastic boxes inside the cupboards small stuff goes in them. Keep heavy stuff low and light stuff high.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:49 AM   #8

Michigan
Registry
Byron, in my case (former Boler 13) I never drove faster than 62 mph. Slowing down to 55 mph didn't reduce bouncing much with my 40 year old axle. The axle was "dead". If the OP has a 40 year old axle, it is likely "dead". As others have posted on other threads, torsion axles last maybe 15 to 20 years. The rubber rots and hardens.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:53 AM   #9

Michigan
Registry
Riki, if you need a new axle and if you replace it yourself (requires welding), I recommend ordering the axle with brakes, and in that case it will cost $400-$500 USD. Couple hundred dollars more to have a mechanic install.

Folks on this forum that live in your area can give you suggestions on where to order and where to have installed.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:03 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
The biggest cause of stuff "flying around" is driving too fast, and/or rough roads and going too fast. Slow down the trailer will bounce around less and slow down a whole lot more on rough roads.

The other thing you can do is to keep heavier stuff from hitting the cupboard doors. I put plastic boxes inside the cupboards small stuff goes in them. Keep heavy stuff low and light stuff high.
I found as Byron stated that if I slow down I have far less to pickup when I get to my destination.
Take a SHORT ride down a bumpy road riding in your trailer and you will soon see why stuff is scattered everywhere.

** NOTE : I AN NOT ADVOCATING TRAVELING / RIDING IN A TRAILER **
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:42 AM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
speed

I don't have much trouble I do as someone mentioned all the heavy flyable stuff is put on the floor. No dodads laying around either all put on either the bed for futon for traveling.

As mentined speed causes all sorts of different problems. I was amazed to see on a tire board here people wanting tires rated for 75mph. I learned an important lesson as a commissioned salesman leave 30ms early have a leisurely drive get there relaxed and you would get so many more miles out of you car more money in your pocket!

I do not understand the need for speed with a travel trailer. A time to relax!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:29 AM   #12

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I do as others have said heavy items like the microwave which isn't fastened down go on the floor, on a rubber kitchen mat - keeps it from sliding around. Other things, like the TV, cutting board cover for the sink, etc. lay face down on the bed. I usually wrap these things in a blanket in a way that they cannot easily slide out. The blanket has better "purchase" on the bed and you can tuck the edges of the blanket into the cushions - have never had one end up on the floor. The few loose things on the counter like the coffee maker and Single serve blender get moved into the sink for travel - holds them securely.

Finally, I secure the closet door shut. This will depend on your set-up, but I've found a plastic bag with the handles looped over the closet knob and the bulk of the bag threaded back between the screen door and closet wall, then knotted does an excellent job.

Most things inside the cabinets are normally in their own small plastic organizer boxes, which keeps them from flying out. I have some open shelves on which I have more plastic organizer baskets - these are secured with small bungees. Of course, lock your refrigerator closed.

While this sounds like a lot of work, it really only takes a few minutes and saves a big clean-up when you get to where you are going. Mostly trial and error until you find what works. Just assume that if something is not fastened down or secured in some way, it will not be where you left it.

I also agree about the axle, they don't last forever. I replaced mine a couple of years ago. Bought the axle, with brakes, from Scamp. They sent it out to me Fed Ex, the day after I ordered it. I had a local shop install it and wire the brakes. Scamp gave them a lot of tips via phone for converting the welded on old axle to a bolt on arrangement. Total cost, if I remember correctly, was about $500 for the axle and shipping, around $300 for the install and wiring (they also did a few other little things and filled my propane while in the shop).

As others have also said, keeping you speed down also helps a lot. My top speed in normally 62 mph, even slower on rough roads. I'm retired, in no big hurry.

Hope this gives you some ideas, while things do get bounced around, if you spend a little time on prevention, it shouldn't be as bad as you're experiencing. Good Luck.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:50 AM   #13

Missouri
lyle

we camp simple some don't we usually can be ready to go in 5ms or less depends what we haul overnite at the Walmarts. Even when we go out for a few days its no beg deal and saves on cussworkds broken glass and such.

I wont go into your addition of the brakes on your new axles the previous owner put a new axle on but never hooked up the brakes. I am going to not use them either as I am not a speed demon but our stevie is only a 13f!

I was watching yesterday we had Mo. homecomeing Sat. so the fast drivers were out and how they know there are stoplights on the hiway but blast till they get there and slam on their brakes.

Why put so much stress on yourself for a few minutes savings? Like minds think alike!!

bob
Old 10-23-2017, 08:02 AM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Agree. You will probably have to work on both ends of this problem. Do check the running gear carefully, starting with the axle. But all the loading advice given is excellent. Even with a brand new axle, trailers still bounce a lot more that your tow vehicle. Some things I've learned, most of which echoes advice already given:

(1) Heavy items low and centered or forward; light stuff high and rearward.

(2) Use bins and anti-skid drawer liners to secure items in every cupboard above floor level.

Name:	Cabinet crates.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	112950

Name:	Closet bins.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	112951

(3) Stuff on the rear bed will have a tendency to work its way forward, so I only put light items that won't be damaged if they land on the floor, pillows and the kids' boogie boards, towels laid out to dry... I saw a post where one person rigged up a net between the closet and galley to keep stuff on the bed.

(4) Adjust cabinet hardware to make a tight closure, change it out for a better type with a positive latch (Scamp uses a simple spring roller latch), or use bungees or other means to prevent them from popping open.

(5) Secure curtains by tightening the clips that hold the rods and/or using zip ties.

(6) Rubber bands from the crank to a small screw keep vents and crank-out windows tightly closed. Small bulldog clips on the tracks keep sliding windows from vibrating open.

My worst experience was the time the silverware drawer ended up on the floor. Found out the screws holding the drawer guides had worked loose and the lightweight screws Scamp uses as a drawer stop tore out. Put it all back together with larger screws dipped in glue, adjusted the latch, and added a more secure drawer stop. All is good now.

Over time I've gradually come to where things pretty much stay where I want them, subject to the occasional whoop-de-do. It is an achievable goal!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:53 AM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
The title of this thread made me recall a thread from a few years back concerning how to keep the cupboard doors from opening in transit. Here's a link to it:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ers-51432.html

My favorite response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
i take everything out of all drawers and cabinets and throw it on the floor. saves time.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:55 AM   #16

Missouri
doors

mike that is one think my scamper 13f wont do they make a really good cabinent catch!

bob
Old 10-23-2017, 10:13 AM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Bouncing vs Tire Pressure

Besides and old, stiff axle. Consider Tire Pressure. Hard tires bounce more than soft tires. Measure the actual loaded weight on the wheels and adjust tire pressure accordingly. You should be able to see a small amount of bulge in the sidewalls at the bottom of the wheel. Then, drive 50 or so miles at highway speeds, stop and feel the tires. They may be warm, but as long as you can hold your hand on them, you're good to go. Likewise, feel the hubs for signs of bearing problems.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:52 AM   #18

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We secure everything that can open with little bungees before we move Peanut. It takes less time every trip as it's becoming 2nd nature.

We didn't do this before our drive up the Oregon Coast Highway 101 in 2016; at times every one of our six wheels was on a different plane and at a different angle.

When we stopped for lunch, the toilet paper storage bin had fallen from the closet and several rolls had unrolled all over the floor and were mixed with a wide range of everything else.

The little folding table had fallen from its storage hooks, and we had to force our way in, over and through to start picking up and re-rollilng what we could salvage.

Ever after that, we bungeed. We added screw eyes where necessary...so far we may have finished adding them; each trip till now has shown us new locations where a bungee wouldn't be a bad idea.

Luckily, we don't put glass in Peanut, so there was no broken glass and nothing else broke, either. Talk about a rolling earthquake, though!

We don't drive fast; Paul seldom gets up to the posted speed limit and never up to 70. But the Coast Road was a thing of wonder in its variety of bumps, lumps, jumps, rolls, roots, potholes, crowns, dips, changes of altitudes, and general chaos and excitement.

Never again will we allow Peanut to TP itself from the inside!

BEST
Kathleen/Kai
Old 10-23-2017, 12:01 PM   #19

Missouri
adventure

we haven't hit anything like that yet. you guys have came up with some great ideas!

bob
Old 10-23-2017, 12:18 PM   #20

British Columbia
Great - this has all been very helpful!

Our cabinets do seem to keep closed, and we bungee one of them.

I have a feeling our axel probably needs to be replaced. I will examine our Boler better later this week. We don't drive over 60 mph (I don't think our towing vehicle could handle any more than that).

Maybe it is more about setting our expectations. Are you all able to travel with the table in position? Or with the bed set up? We always need to take the bed down and put it directly on the floor, otherwise, as soon as we start driving it has flown forward and ends up on the ground anyways.

Thanks again!
Rebecca