Stuff Welded On To Frame - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-10-2007, 08:55 AM   #15

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
What about a using some type of mounting to carry the bikes in front of the tow vehicle?
I've seen people travelling like this, but I'm not sure what the hardware is.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:27 PM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: Casita 2000 17ft. Liberty
California
Check out the bike rack on my website. Worked for 3 years now.
http://web.mac.com/oksure

Old 07-10-2007, 12:50 PM   #17

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Some good ideas there Jim
Old 07-10-2007, 01:21 PM   #18

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
I kind of predicted you would also mention something about the number of additional potential points of failure between TV and trailer...
I missed that, but it's a good point. Does everyone using these extensions connect their trailer's safety chains to the hitch receiver, and not just to the extension? If not, you have no backup to the single hitch pin failing.

The extra joints also mean more free play, meaning more rattling and perhaps worse.

Quote:
... I was at princess lotto this weekend...
"Princess Lotto"
For those who don't shop there, it may help to note that you could find anything at Princess Auto, so every visit is a bit like a lottery entry. They started as a used auto parts business, and got big selling surplus items, so in addition to the regular catalog items they have other "stuff".
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:41 PM   #19

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Quote:
"Princess Lotto"
For those who don't shop there, it may help to note that you could find anything at Princess Auto, so every visit is a bit like a lottery entry. They started as a used auto parts business, and got big selling surplus items, so in addition to the regular catalog items they have other "stuff".
Yes, I love their "stuff", you never know what you might find. I got some screen they were selling by the foot once - enough to redo the trailer windows and do a door. Apparently it ended up in the surplus because it was green. Just makes the outdoors look more vibrant now.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:49 PM   #20

Trailer: Boler 1700SGH (Stage II twoftitis)
Quote:
I missed that, but it's a good point. Does everyone using these extensions connect their trailer's safety chains to the hitch receiver, and not just to the extension? If not, you have no backup to the single hitch pin failing.

The extra joints also mean more free play, meaning more rattling and perhaps worse.
"Princess Lotto"
It's more like "Sometimes you win, but usually you lose."

There's some amazingly poor quality stuff there... In fact, most of the stuff is of questionable quality... I have princess auto air tools because, well, frankly, I'm cheap and I'm also not a professional... I've used real professional grade air tools and there's just no comparison... The PA ones accomplish far less while using far more air... The flare-nut wrenches actually encourage the rounding of nuts... They do sell some Reese stuff but it's priced comparably or higher than the same stuff at Cdn Tire.

Don't get me wrong, I shop at PA a lot, but only when quality doesn't matter too much. I'm careful about what trailer hitch stuff I buy from there.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:21 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
Seems I have read on another thread that extending the trailer behind the axle and adding weight back there increases the risk of sway when traveling on highways and changing lanes.
Maybe others can expand about this???
I have seen trailers flip due to sway if it was due to bad loading of this I do not know but after seing the aftermath of such a wreck and the havoke it caused on I-95 I wouldn't do anything to increase the chances of having this happen.
It's all really leverage (plus some mass/momentum) working on the front of the tow vehicle and the steered wheels.

The key levers are:

TT coupler to axle (longer is better)
TT axle to rear (shorter is better)
TV front axle to rear axle (longer is better)
TV rear axle to ball (shorter is better)

Where one puts the weight has much influence on the lever, which on the trailer means getting it over the axle is best. For example, carrying a cooler full of diving weights inside over the axle is going to have far less effect on trailer sway than the same cooler fastened to the rear bumper.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:27 PM   #22

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
The rule of thumb to avoid trailer sway is to have between 10 and 15 per cent of the trailer weight on the tongue. The reason for this is to put the larger amount of weight between the TT axel and the connection to the TV. This lets the TV have the maximum control over where that weight is going to go along with the back half of the trailer. The TV is able to lead the trailer into following directly behind it's direction of travel.

Given a 2000 lb TT, then Tongue weight (TW) should be between 200 and 300 lbs.

When less than 10 percent of the trailer weight is on the tongue things change. One of the reasons for the 10 to 15 percent rule is because of wind resistance. Wind resistance on the TT unloads weight from the tongue the faster it is pulled. That is why a trailer can be towed a slower speeds and not sway.

When the greater amount of weight is behind the axel then the tail can swing the dog. If you start out with 100 lbs TW and the wind resistance at 55 MPH is 150 lbs of force (just guessing on the number, but that is a reasonable number) , then the effective TW is minus 50 lbs. (the actual angle of the force is very complicated to figure out, but it is to the rear and downward. The faster you go the more force is generated and it's leverage unloads the tongue weight.) That means the rear of the trailer at higher speeds can out weigh the front of the trailer. When those conditions occur, when the back wiggles the front will waggle.

Wind resistance isn't the only factor involved, but is frequently not recognized.

Another factor is the distribution of the trailer weight. If weight is centered around the axel, then any weight added to the rear is going to have increased leverage because there is no offsetting weight on the front end that is countering the weight added to the rear.

The trailers center of gravity in relation to any added weight will also paly into a trailers tendancy to sway. If you have an air conditioner on the roof, then that will raise the trailers center of gravity and make the trailer more likely to sway if tongue is light.

It gets complicated quickly when playing with the laws of physics. Leverage, forces, mass, momentum, vectors, and fulcrum interact in complex but predictable ways.

Curt

1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote