Subaru Legacy GT Wagon Wiring, Same as Outback? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2009, 03:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Registry
Okay I've searched and phoned all over the place and can't seem to find a wiring harness for my 2005 Subaru Legacy Gt wagon....Does anyone know if the 05' Outback Wagon plug and play harness will work for my Legacy GT wagon?
Anyone done it?

I really don't want to pay Subaru $200 for the plug and play harness!

Please help!
Big Thank You!
Emily R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:50 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
http://www.bageco.com/tconnector/t-connect_suba.htm

Try these guys
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:57 PM   #3

Registry
I'm obviously confused as my car has a little white 6 pin connector that the wiring harness is suppose to connect too. Not sure about this T-connector style....Where do you plug it in to?
Old 10-30-2009, 04:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Hunter I
Registry
Quote:
Okay I've searched and phoned all over the place and can't seem to find a wiring harness for my 2005 Subaru Legacy Gt wagon...
Have you tried www.etrailer.com ? I got one for my 2007 Forester there. Seems like they had a large selection...
Don H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:00 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Have you tried www.etrailer.com ? I got one for my 2007 Forester there. Seems like they had a large selection...
I emailed them and they don't carry the plug and play for my Legacy....frustrating!
Old 10-30-2009, 05:01 PM   #6

Registry
My plug looks like this one http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=...p;postcount=113
Old 10-31-2009, 02:58 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Call Bageco, Sometimes the photo doesn't alwas match the item.
Orders 888 4-BAGECO
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:22 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Call Bageco, Sometimes the photo doesn't alwas match the item.
Orders 888 4-BAGECO
Thank you.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:33 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita
Emily,
I would bet the Outback part will fit but you can check it yourself and make sure. The printed instruction in your link states that it's for a Legacy, not necessarily an Outback. I installed that same harness with a hitch when I had my '05 Outback; the hardest part is finding the mating connector in the car. It's hidden behind the panel in the far aft left corner of the car. I had to use a dental mirror and flashlight to see up behind the panel.

If you look at page three of the installation instructions on your link, step E. tells you how and where to find the harness. The problem is the free end of the harness is taped to the metal frame behind the panel. It's supposed to be break-away tape so you can just pull it out but it was very strong. If your car has the connector, you are home free! The remainder of the installation was quite easy.

If you need to buy the harness, online sellers are much cheaper than your dealer.

Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:30 PM   #10

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Emily, Try a google on Curt Hitches. I bought the harness and the hitch for my Forester from their online store. (The Hitch Store I think) At the website you'll find an 800 number for customer service where they will be able to help you with your specific application. I had my stuff in just a few days and everything fit perfectly. The instructions with the harness told me just where to locate the connector in the car. The prices were also the lowest I found. Steve G

Stephen G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:31 PM   #11

Registry
Thank you Steve and Marv.
I've found the connector....only lost one screw down a deep dark hole never to be seen again!
I also sent an email to Curt Hitches....I'm having a problem with US companies not wanting to ship to Canada...hopefully I will get lucky this time!
Old 11-02-2009, 07:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I also sent an email to Curt Hitches....I'm having a problem with US companies not wanting to ship to Canada...hopefully I will get lucky this time!
Do you have any family or good friends on the south side of the border? Have the part shipped to them, and they can forward it on to you... just an idea! Since it's a wiring harness it would be cheap enough to send postal service.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:35 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Do you have any family or good friends on the south side of the border? Have the part shipped to them, and they can forward it on to you... just an idea! Since it's a wiring harness it would be cheap enough to send postal service.
Unfortunatly not....it's really starting to look like I'm going to have to buy it from the "stealership" for $195....it just burns me when I can get it on the net for $85 USD but they won't ship it to me!
Old 11-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #14

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Emily,

An option is to get it shipped to one of the many shipping centers like Package Express and then go pick it up. This one is just on the other side of the border in Sumas but there may be one closer to you. My stepdad has done this a few times with special boat epoxy paint that you can only buy in the USA.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:21 AM   #15

Registry
Thanks Booker for the suggestion...I may have gotten things all sorted out

Now to find some time to build the awning beside the garage so that I can "unwrap" Fluffer-Nugget....I wish the previous owner hadn't started removing all the butyl tape from around the belly band because now I've got a time crunch to get it all repaired....I foresee some cold fingers!
Old 11-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #16

Registry
Well I went to the Subaru dealership and after trying out three different wiring harnesses I have finally got the right on for my car....doesn't give me much confidence in their parts catalog!

The right harness ended up being $45 so I bought it from them and it is nicely installed in my car....Yahoo for that!
Old 11-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #17

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
One step closer! You mentioned fall camping, where would you go?
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:55 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
One step closer! You mentioned fall camping, where would you go?
Somewhere close by, thinking maybe Golden Ears, Alloute Lake....I've never been there but I hear it's really pretty.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:53 PM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Emily, do you have a part number for the harness that you can share? Might help the next member who's searching for a solution.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:27 AM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Emily, do you have a part number for the harness that you can share? Might help the next member who's searching for a solution.

The Subaru part number is SCI600078, the Tow Ready part number is 118461.

I will post up some pictures of the actual unit once I get out of my jammies and brave the monsoon that's going on outside!