Subaru Outback enough to tow Scamp 13' ft.? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2016, 04:40 PM   #1

Name: Margaret
Trailer: in the market
North Carolina
Subaru Outback enough to tow Scamp 13' ft.?

Hi all,

I had set my mind on purchasing a Subaru Outback, but one of the dealers told me it wouldn't have enough towing capacity on an incline (ascending or descending), even for the Scamp 13 ft.

Having said that, he works for a Ford dealership, and he was suggesting a Ford Explorer, but he happens to have a reasonably priced Subaru on his lot, and that's what I've been looking for (Outback) for the last few days.

Comments?

Thx., Margaret
Lonely Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Go to a Subaru dealer, discuss your question and look up the towing capacity in an owners manual.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:32 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm assuming Margaret, based on earlier postings, that you're purchasing a front bath Scamp 13. In terms of total weight, I would expect around 2000 pounds loaded, which is well within the towing capacity of most late model Subaru Outbacks (it does depend on the year and engine, which you didn't mention). However the kicker could be tongue weight. The front bath model typically carries a bit more of its weight on the tongue, often 225-250 pounds, and I believe the Outback limits tongue weight to 200 pounds. I have also heard there is a caveat about a reduced tow rating when climbing long grades in high ambient temperatures.

If you Google something like "2015 Subaru Outback Owner's Manual" you should be able to download and read everything about towing straight from the manufacturer. I have found that more reliable than asking dealers, especially salespeople.

One thing to consider, since you're planning to full-time, is that tow ratings typically only include the driver and minimal cargo in the vehicle. Most full-timers carry quite a bit of cargo in the tow vehicle.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:46 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'm assuming Margaret, that you're purchasing a front bath Scamp 13. In terms of total weight, I would expect around 2000 pounds loaded, which is well within the towing capacity of most late model Subaru Outbacks (it does depend on the year and engine, which you didn't mention). However the kicker could be tongue weight. The front bath model typically carries a bit more of its weight on the tongue, often 225-250 pounds, and I believe the Outback limits tongue weight to 200 pounds. I have also heard there is a caveat about a reduced tow rating when climbing long grades in high ambient temperatures.

If you Google something like "2015 Subaru Outback Owner's Manual" you should be able to download and read everything about towing straight from the manufacturer. I have found that more reliable than asking dealers, especially salespeople.

One thing to consider, since you're planning to full-time, is that tow ratings typically only include the driver and minimal cargo in the vehicle. Most full-timers carry quite a bit of cargo in the tow vehicle.
Darn.. I can't find the "LIKE" button.. and this sounds like some of the best advice I have ever seen here. So you will have to settle with

But I might add that staying comfortably under the max ratings makes for more comfort on the road.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:52 PM   #5

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Darn.. I can't find the "LIKE" button.. and this sounds like some of the best advice I have ever seen here. So you will have to settle with

But I might add that staying comfortably under the max ratings makes for more comfort on the road.
Thanks!!

I think I'm going to find something with better towing capacity.

Margaret
Old 06-01-2016, 08:13 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Road View Post
Hi all,

I had set my mind on purchasing a Subaru Outback, but one of the dealers told me it wouldn't have enough towing capacity on an incline (ascending or descending), even for the Scamp 13 ft.

Having said that, he works for a Ford dealership, and he was suggesting a Ford Explorer, but he happens to have a reasonably priced Subaru on his lot, and that's what I've been looking for (Outback) for the last few days.

Comments?

Thx., Margaret
According to the Subaru website, a 2016 Outback has a towing capacity of 2700 lb and 200 lb hitch weight. Should be more than enough for a 13 ft.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:14 AM   #7

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
saabbob

We have a Scamp 13 w/ front bathroom and a 2015 outback. Traveled over Bighorn Mountains in Wyoming last year with absolutely no problems. We have the 2.5 liter 4 cylinder.
saabbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:20 AM   #8

Name: Andy & Helena
Trailer: 1997 Scamp
New York
I opted for a 6 cylinder Outback as it has a higher towing capacity. (3000).
Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:21 AM   #9

Name: Donald
Trailer: Happier Camper HC1 (Subaru Outback Stranded Me)now towing with RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Major overkill.
California
Jon is right, for my 2011, and I do not believe it has changed for later years. Here in Sacramento it is now getting up into the 100's. With my HC1 the tongue weight is not an issue, but with any of these trailers I think the 1350 in hot weather is harder to meet. I will find out soon how things will work out. It is into the 100's now here in Sacramento, though I did have a transmission cooler just installed. I am headed to the mountains tomorrow.

Don
Sacramento
Old 06-01-2016, 09:48 AM   #10

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
You know the link ..?

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:49 AM   #11

Name: Bill & Jeanie
Trailer: Building camper in Ram Promaster van
North Carolina
I have an 07 Rav4 v6 that I use to tow a 4'x8' utility trailer. l recently helped a friend tow the trailer behind his 2015 4 cyl Outback to pick up two scoops of landscaping mulch (around 2klbs total). We were amazed that it was only able to creep up hills at about five mph. I realize this is a poorly documented anecdotal account but it was enough to convince me that I'd look elsewhere for a tow vehicle. Not sure whether the CVT is at fault or simply a lack of power. Or maybe I'm just used to the Rav.
Bill
wbullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:05 AM   #12

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
According to the Subaru website, a 2016 Outback has a towing capacity of 2700 lb and 200 lb hitch weight. Should be more than enough for a 13 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Good point Gilles... the tongue weights for Scamp 13s in the database copy that I have shows a range of 200-240... there are only five campers listed but NONE are under the limit (assuming it is 200 lbs.).
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:25 AM   #13

Name: Marge
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
I have a 2010 4 cylinder Outback and tow an 800 lb teardrop with it. Even though it is rated at 2000 lb capacity, I wouldn't want to go much higher than what I already do. Our teardrop doesn't have brakes, and it takes longer to stop the car. It also feels a bit taxing to the car, and I'm only towing at 1/2 capacity. My car just hit 120,000 miles and we bought a Tacoma to take over the towing job. I'd like the car to get another 120,000 miles, but don't think it would make it if I kept towing.

It is recommended to NOT tow at or near capacity, so I wouldn't recommend much more than what we are doing.

I like your idea to get a car with a bit more capacity. Maybe a v6 outback??? They can handle 2700-3,000 lb. Though I don't know what tongue weight they can handle. I agree to talk to a Subaru dealer, but beware, they are trying to sell you a car.
margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:28 AM   #14

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Good point Gilles... the tongue weights for Scamp 13s in the database copy that I have shows a range of 200-240... there are only five campers listed but NONE are under the limit (assuming it is 200 lbs.).
When I sold my Trillium Jubilee to a lady with a Subaru Outback, after she informed with the company, they advised that if she had any problems, breakage on transmission, it was possible the warranty will not be honored.
If the tongue weight exceeds that identified by the company, the computer of the car has difficulty managing the traction of the car, which can lead to break in the traction system ...

That's what I knew.

My Jubilee weighed about 220 pounds on the tongue, she told me.
I had never weighed myself, I towed with a Dodge Caravan V6, 3.3 L.

The lady resold Trillium one month after having bought, it recently had to buy it and also decided to keep his other Trillium 13 ', it had not sold ...
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:06 AM   #15

Name: jon
Trailer: Scamp 13
Washington
scamp vs. subaru

hi,
i have been pulling our scamp 13 with a 2012 forester for 3 years. most of the time you can hardly tell it's back there. however, ours does not have the front bathroom. it was built with the separated room but without the toilet or shower. we just add a portapotty which does not weigh a lot.
jondsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:53 AM   #16

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
Margaret - I love my Subaru Outback and 13 ft deluxe Scamp with bath. Best to get a 6 cyinder Outback. I have a 2005 3.6 and it pulls my Scamp throughout the Rocky and Cascade Mountains easily...no strain. The larger engine makes a huge difference.

If you're purchasing an Outback, go for the 3.6...the extra power will serve you well.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:51 PM   #17

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Yes, but that doesn't include anything I'm carrying. Better safe than sorry, tho. I like the Outbacks a lot. Plus, I have no towing experience, and plan to drive in mountains.

Margaret
Old 06-01-2016, 12:53 PM   #18

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post
I opted for a 6 cylinder Outback as it has a higher towing capacity. (3000).
I think I'm better looking for 3500 or 4000.

M
Old 06-01-2016, 12:55 PM   #19

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbybe View Post
Jon is right, for my 2011, and I do not believe it has changed for later years. Here in Sacramento it is now getting up into the 100's. With my HC1 the tongue weight is not an issue, but with any of these trailers I think the 1350 in hot weather is harder to meet. I will find out soon how things will work out. It is into the 100's now here in Sacramento, though I did have a transmission cooler just installed. I am headed to the mountains tomorrow.

Don
Sacramento
Oh geez. No offense, but I'm glad I'm not there. I do visit Death Valley in cooler months.

Margaret
Old 06-01-2016, 12:59 PM   #20

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
I don't think so, but I'll def. open the link.

Thx., Margaret

Tags
scamp