Suburban Furnace 1976 boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #1

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1976 Boler
Manitoba
Question Suburban Furnace 1976 boler

Hi there,

Recently purchased a 13 ft 1976 boler and have been enjoying cleaning it up and getting it ready to camp in the next couple of months. Even though with Winnipegs early spring it feels like we should be using it now. This forum is one of the reasons we bought our little boler, and I have learned almost everything I've wanted to know so far from browsing the forums. However, I'd like to ask for some advice.

I have beentesting out the furnace. It's a suburban. Was told from the previous owner that it worked. The pilot lights fine and stays lit. But, when turning to the on position the burner doesn't light. I was able to get it lit with a BBQ lighter, but the flame was very small at all settings, and would eventually go out on its own. After that I noticed a small amount of bubbles from my soapy water leak test coming from both fittings on a copper tube going from the control to the burner. Could this be enough of a leak to stop the burner from igniting properly or getting bigger flame? It's a very small amount of bubbles. Oh and the stove works and fridge gets very cold with propane.

Thanks!
Zeppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The only help I can be Ryan is to say NO BUBBLES. You absolutely do not want propane leaking at ANY fitting. That sounds like a boom waiting to happen with very bad consequences. Be safe.

There's a couple of Suburban furnace manuals in the Document Center. Maybe you'll find one with a troubleshooting section (it doesn't have to be the exact model) that will help until someone steps in with better suggestions.

BTW: I don't know if I've welcomed you... so WELCOME to FiberglassRV!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #3

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1976 Boler
Manitoba
Thanks for the welcome, and the info on the document center, I will take a look. Oh yes, absolutely I know the fittings have to be sealed, no leaking whatsoever. I just wanted to know if the leak could affect the burner as I want to avoid fixing things before I know it will work at all. Thanks again.
Zeppo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, furnace