Suggested brands - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2015, 01:38 PM   #1

Name: Carolyn
Trailer: Scamp 13
Washington
Question Suggested brands

I now have my new Outback, says max. weight 2700 lbs.
I have been looking at the Scamp 13 ft which meets the requirements...
Some of you might have other suggestions... I had selected the Scamp without bathroom because I want sleeping place for a 2nd person... but would be nice to at least have a toilet.
I went to an RV show and didn't see much except huge things plus Aliners and a couple others.
Would appreciate any other suggestions... Thanks.
I live in Washington and there are very few Scamps here but there are some that I can go look at.
Carolyn N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:35 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
Truthfully you are very limited with a maximum tow weight of 2,700 pounds since that weight includes you, your passengers and anything else in your vehicle too. I know a lot of people will disagree but safety wise you are limited. We can pull all of our trailers with our lawn tractor and we have several molded fiberglass trailers up to 21 feet but would we? Possibly a vintage Trails West Campster which would sleep 2 comfortably or a Compact Jr. or Compact II- no toilet in any of these but you could carry a porti-potty for night time. There is also a the Trillium brand but again no bathroom in that weight limit but a very nice trailer. Good luck on your search.

I should also mention that finding the "real weights" of various trailers is on this website as documented by Frederick S. at the Bandon, Oregon gathering on certified scales. This will be a great help in your search. I think it is called "weights in the real world" or something close.

Deb
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:04 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Suggested brands

Two separate sleeping areas and a dedicated toilet compartment pretty much puts you into the 16' and larger class, and tongue weight will be your problem. As I mentioned on an earlier thread, Outbacks are limited to 200 pounds hitch weight. Most 16'ers will typically carry 240-275 pounds on the hitch. Some will come pretty close to your overall trailer weight limit as well.

I think your best bet is to stick with your original plan: a 13' Scamp or similar. That includes Scamp, Casita, Trillium, Boler, and a host of other less-common vintage 13'ers. Some newer models do have a toilet compartment or even a full wet bath, but you'll be giving up the second sleeping area. If you choose the front bunk version, there is a porta-potty storage compartment under the front bunk.

Decisions, decisions,...

I agree that it's hard to decide without seeing some in person. You have missed the rally season for 2015, which is a great way to see a lot of trailers in one place. You could post a request here. You might find a member or two in your area willing to let you have a look. You could also contact the sales department at Scamp. They keep a file of owners willing to demo their trailers to potential buyers.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:10 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Chuck View Post
Truthfully you are very limited with a maximum tow weight of 2,700 pounds since that weight includes you, your passengers and anything else in your vehicle too.

Deb
That is not a true statement. I believe tow ratings allow at least the driver and passengers weight and fuel.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:51 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Lot of towing information on this site.
What does GVWR mean?
IMO, with a 2700lb rating, you should stay with a 13footer without a bathroom. You can use a porta potti or luggable loo for those nighttime emergencies.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote