Suggestion for repair place in SW Mich/NW Ind - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2017, 05:27 PM   #1

Name: Heather
Trailer: Burro
Michigan
Suggestion for repair place in SW Mich/NW Ind

I am finally in a place where I am ready to get my floor fixed in my 1982 Burro. I have been looking for someone/somewhere to get it fixed with not much luck. I don't think it will be a "shell off the frame" floor job but I could be wrong. It is something that is definitely more than I can handle on my own. Does anyone have any suggestions of a place they have used in the past?
heaheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #2

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
Burro floor repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaheath View Post
I am finally in a place where I am ready to get my floor fixed in my 1982 Burro. I have been looking for someone/somewhere to get it fixed with not much luck. I don't think it will be a "shell off the frame" floor job but I could be wrong. It is something that is definitely more than I can handle on my own. Does anyone have any suggestions of a place they have used in the past?
We like the folks at Quality Products Sales and Service 269-685-8781 in Plainwell but don't know if they do floors.
Same with Curtis Travel Trailer 269-679-4485 they are very busy now
Both are on I-131
Good luck. (we are in Kalamazoo)
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:29 AM   #3

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
You might call cayo's in Watervliet....

He specializes in aluminum Avion trailers but works on other brands.

The first time i saw a Compact Jr was at his shop.

Repairs are not cheap though.

I believe the labor rate is in the neighborhood of $85 an hour which probably in line with other shops.

Watervliet is 35 miles west of kalamazoo in I94.

Phone is 269 463 5069.

His name is Chuck.
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:04 PM   #4

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Have you tried Scamp?

Not too far of drive, couple of days. They seem reasonably priced for the work they do and they would be very familiar with what needs to be done.

When I had work done for me, they had an Airstream parked out back, the tech that worked on my Scamp said they had gutted it and were re-building the interior for the owner. I questioned him about doing work on other brands and he told me they work on ANY brand, time permitting.

Might be worth a call, and a trip, to possibly get an EXPERT repair.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:12 PM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Lots of forum members have faced this issue and chosen to do the work themselves with beautiful results. Some have started the work themselves, then abandoned the project before finishing it. From your initial post, it sounds like you do not want to tackle the project yourself, and that is perfectly OK. Don't start it if it is beyond your ability to complete the job. All that said, the $85 rate that john madill stated above actually might be on the low side in some markets. Finding someone with prior experience in a similar project will be slim, but not totally impossible. A repair like this will be very labor intensive, especially if it is frame off. Just figuring out what work needs to be done could require a great deal of labor itself. If you hire someone with the skills and energy to complete this project, be ready for the possibility that you will pay big bucks to get the work done. Another option would be to sell your trailer to someone who wants a do it yourself project, and buy one that does not need major work. Hopefully, it will be a small inexpensive repair.

Heather, I wish you the best with your trailer. If I was doing this myself, I would expect to find some additional areas that were hidden and unforeseen that would increase the cost. Good luck.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:56 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Scamp might work ok, but I would check out boat repair shops first.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:28 PM   #7

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1700
Michigan
We went to the open house for Tin Can Tourists at Camp Dearborn in Milford, MI today. A gentleman named Joel Manley had done a beautiful job on a really old fancy trailer shown there. His Company is Vintage Travel Trailer Resoration by Joel, he's in Grand Rapids, and his company is on facebook. The gentleman showing the trailer said Joel has replaced floors.
Lisa in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote