Suggestions for leveling the trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-29-2015, 09:03 AM   #15
Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
I heard about someone who drove away from their site, running over their Anderson. It shot up and punctured the water tank on the Scamp 13'. Oops.

Always check for orange and yellow "things" before heading home.

herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:09 AM   #16
Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Scamp
Byron and Anne showed us the BAL leveler when we met them in Death Valley in March of this year.

Added it to our 16' Scamp gear and love it.

Conservation biologist specializing in bats.
Trailer = 16' Scamp
BatDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:11 AM   #17
Name: Walter
Trailer: 2002 BigFoot 17'
SW Virginia
I've used the Camco tri leveller for years and am quite happy with it. The Anderson does look much more compact.
Attached Images
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:11 AM   #18
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Suggestions for leveling the trailer

Originally Posted by herons View Post
I heard about someone who drove away from their site, running over their Anderson. It shot up and punctured the water tank on the Scamp 13'. Oops.

Always check for orange and yellow "things" before heading home.
Grey tank, perhaps? The fresh water tank is inside.

Good general advice for a newbie: do a 360 walk-around before you pull out. Look down (orange and yellow thingies, cords and hoses), up (windows and vents), and around (rocks, stumps, curbs, overhanging branches). Double-check the door and hitch (latch, chains, electric).
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:18 AM   #19
Name: Roselyn
Trailer: Casita 16 SD
We have (and love) the BAL leveler. Thought about the Anderson, but remembered the time we camped at a site where we had to raise one side of the trailer well over 4" (as high as Anderson goes) to get level. Have used the BAL for several years and haven't had problem with grease. We do keep it in a zip bag/tote inside the closet in our Casita when not in use.
Roselyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:19 AM   #20
Name: Marcia
Trailer: '00 Burro 17' WB
Seattle, WA
I have to second those who love the BAL leveler. I often travel solo and find it incredibly easy to set up camp and get perfectly level with the BAL. Our Burro is modified with 15" tires and it still fits, though can be tight to get into place/remove on certain surfaces such as gravel. Only downside is that indeed it can be cumbersome to store, but it only needs to store when we are rolling so it's just not a big deal. It sets on the floor inside the door because it's one of the first items to be pulled out when I stop to camp.
mglyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:40 AM   #21
Name: Henry
Trailer: Casita
Anderson leveler all the Way!

I have a 17' Casita. I have and used the BAL. I have 15" wheels and large tires and the BAL was difficult to use on uneven ground. One work around is to first drive up on a 1" board, then slide the BAL under the tire.

However, once I started using the Anderson I never looked back, and now do not even carry the BAL. If you are near Nashville, TN, I will give it to you.

When leaving I just drive over it, never a problem.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:44 AM   #22
Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro 1983 13'
Very impressed.

I have been using the Lynx (Lego style) this year after getting rid of the lumber mess. I was pretty happy with the block system but also looked at the BAL leveler liked the idea but felt it was to pricey and bulky. Just watched a few videos on the Anderson leveler and will be placing an order for one today. Very impressed.
One of those wish I would of thought of that items. Can still use my Lynx block for many other uses around camp.
Burro Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:52 AM   #23
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Somewhere in the Lower 48
One nice aspect of the BAL leveler is that if by chance the trailer "sinks" a bit after setup, you just crank it up or down a bit. You don't have to hook up to level the trailer again.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CPW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:59 PM   #24
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
If I had just purchased my first trailer as the OP has, I would buy a couple of packages of Lego blocks to start out with before deciding on what other levelling items to purchase. They are not expensive and the do the job but they also come in handy for many other jobs - such as putting under the rear stabilizer jacks, as well as front tongue jack to stop it from sinking into the dirt/gravel in addition to being used to level many other items such as a outside table etc.

The BAL and the Anderson are pricier and have only one use. I would do some hands on homework on both before deciding which to purchase.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 04:17 PM   #25
Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro 1983 13'
You have a good point Carol on getting the stacking levelers first but leveling made easier is great. I have camped enough now to find the blocks to still be a pain a lot of the time. They do however serve many other purposes around camp. So your advice is pretty much what I did started with blocks and decided for my needs to add the Anderson leveler as well.
Burro Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 04:52 PM   #26
Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Smile Free levelers

If you go somewhere they are building, you can probably (with permission of course) get a 2x12x24 and a couple of other pieces of wood that will work fine.
After using wood blocks for a couple of years, we did buy an Anderson and like it very much.
We still use some of the wood blocks under the braces.
A charter member of the Buffalo Plaid Brigade!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:10 PM   #27
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I'm a BAL user and lover. I travel with 4 short pieces of 2x6. 1 for each rear stabilizer, 1 for the nose jack and 1 to put under the "low" tire. The latter helps with the BAL being too snug under the tire. I do plan on changing the 2x6's with the plastic blocks, we had a border guard make a comment about the dirt on the wood once. Personally I don't think there would be any difference about mud on plastic, other than it might be easier to wash and they are easier to see in the dark.

As for the grease/dirt on the threads issue, I use a short piece of foam pipe wrap. It stays on the threads at all times other than when being cranked. A bright piece of pool noodle would do the same trick and remind you that the BAL is still under the tire on your circle check.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:57 AM   #28
Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
I've camped going on 6 yrs now in my 13'er. I got a good deal on a set of "legos" (stack of 10 in a case) for $15. I have NEVER needed two sets and never used all 10 of these at any campground. Most of the time 1 with a max of 2 blocks is all I've used. I know there's CG's that would require more- but just relating my experience.

IF anyone gets the stacking NOT get the ones you can see through!! (Lynx) They can bury up in the ground.

I dont like the "Bal" because too many times I'm parked against a concrete patio rendering the Bal useless to me if it needs leveling on the "curb" side (passenger). Plus, in my small trailer/truck, it would simply eat up too much room. The stacking blocks fits neatly in a toolbox mounted in my truck during camping outings.

My next choice would be the Anderson if I was purchasing today. Again, I've only used a max of 2 blocks which is about 2". So the Anderson would serve me well I believe. But at $75 for the Bal vs $15 I have in blocks....I'm good.

Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
I got a good deal on the Andersen leveler that Jon mentions above right before Christmas. I had narrowed it down to either the BAL or the Andersen, and decided to try the Andersen first since it was cheaper, and seems so much better/easier than the legos. Hopefully I will be happy with it, but if not, will then spring for the BAL.

Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote