sunrader - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2015, 12:46 PM   #1

Name: eric
Trailer: sunrader
California
sunrader

should I buy a 1977 sunrader or is the engine or electrical too old to repair
eric123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:36 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Rats, I put my reply in the wrong place... Take a look here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...r-54293-3.html

The last post on Page #3 is for you.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:01 PM   #3

Name: eric
Trailer: sunrader
California
Hi. Thank you so much for getting back to me. The ad for this vehicle looks like your vehicle to the right of the picture, but it has the side door. There's no bathroom inside with supposedly a C shaped couch, small kitchenette and overhead bed . The owner doesn't know how many previous owners there were, and the vehicle broke down on her once on the freeway. She took it to some mechanic who got it up and running for her and she is selling it. My only concern reading through the website has to do with possible limited parts or limited service departments who are willing to work on a 1977 22R engine or electric. I live in San Diego. I do like the small size for weekend traveling with the kids. It is selling for $6500. She states that the inside is in great condition and it was newly painted. I am a novice at this. I really do appreciate your advice.
eric123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:11 PM   #4

OK.... First I think that the price is more than a tad high. Next, the 1977-78 should have a 20R engine, the 22R didn't come for a few years later, and last, as best I know the side door 17' didn't come out until the 1979 model year. I looked at the pictures in the ad and it has the same door as mine, in the back wall, over the bumper.

If you have to farm out work to shops it will get very expensive. These motorhomes, unlike the trailers on this site, have a lot of components that are subject to age issues, from wiring to transmissions to brakes and the list goes on and on. I only suggest buying these to those that can do almost all of their own work, shop prices, at $100/hr in San Diego, will make it very expensive in the long run.

Just for starters, it has to pass emissions, and if anything has been removed, it can be difficult to get some of those parts. At the very least, insist on a current emissons inspection. The seller may already know it may not pass.

You might want to get on the several other Toyota Motorhome sites and learn what you can there as well.

Good Luck
Sunrader Bob

Old 12-11-2015, 10:48 PM   #5

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric123 View Post
should I buy a 1977 sunrader or is the engine or electrical too old to repair

My youngest grand son just sold the 1976 Toyota PU that's been through his 3 older brothers for $3000.00.
Before I gave it to his older brother with the understanding it would be handed down to the next brother I had it reupholstered and repainted.

It had a little over 400,0000 miles on it.
It had cost me nothing but routine maintenance.
With that many miles I considered one water pump, a generator and tie rod ends as maintenance.
Since the boys have driven it they have had to replace the clutch twice.

When Julian sold it it had over 490,000 miles on it.

I don't think the Sunrader is worn out by any means.
Toyota's go forever with a little care.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:51 AM   #6

Long life stories about Toyota pick-ups abound, but a light duty pick-up, carrying at or above maximum load, with 4 time the frontal area, is a somewhat different story. Basically it's working under maximum plus load 100% of the time. Pick-ups with over 400,000 miles are common, Toyota mini-motorhomes with even 200,000 miles the original engine are very rare. And the 3VZ-E V6 is a an even more pronounced example, with engine problems at 100,000 miles are not uncommon,.

And, as was mentioned, it may cost nothing but routine maintenance but, after almost 40 years and multiple owners, it's very difficult to access what routine maintenance may or may not have been done.

As the op seemed to be asking in a manner that suggested that any work/repairs would be done by a shop, from my own experiences with Toyota mini-motorhomes, including restoring a 1978 Sunrader, suggested that it might not be a good choice.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:31 AM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Long life stories about Toyota pick-ups abound, but a light duty pick-up, carrying at or above maximum load, with 4 time the frontal area, is a somewhat different story. Basically it's working under maximum plus load 100% of the time. Pick-ups with over 400,000 miles are common, Toyota mini-motorhomes with even 200,000 miles the original engine are very rare. And the 3VZ-E V6 is a an even more pronounced example, with engine problems at 100,000 miles are not uncommon,.

And, as was mentioned, it may cost nothing but routine maintenance but, after almost 40 years and multiple owners, it's very difficult to access what routine maintenance may or may not have been done.

As the op seemed to be asking in a manner that suggested that any work/repairs would be done by a shop, from my own experiences with Toyota mini-motorhomes, including restoring a 1978 Sunrader, suggested that it might not be a good choice.
Bob,
Your words have a lot of wisdom from experience! I have been thinking about getting a Toyota RV camper. But, after reading your post, I must agree that your are 100% on the mark! It looks like if you buy a Toyota RV, you will need to fill the camper up with money for the break downs and repairs! Also, I have read that one on the biggest issues with these Toyota campers is the rear end! It is not big enough to move as much weight as the Toyota RV has when loaded!
If a person thinks about campers before you jump in, a Casita or Scamp is a great little camper! They are more durable and seem to last much longer!
Bob, again, thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge with this forum!

Nut501

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:17 PM   #8

For clarification... The rear axle issue only pertains to those built before 1986 when it was changed to a full floating axle. Most of those built before 1986 were subject to a recall in 1990 that called for a new rear axle. Toyota provided a kit with all the parts but, as the recall was against the coach builders and not Toyota, as many had gone out of business, it was mostly up to owners to get the change out done. as a WAG, I would say that about 75% were done, but don't take anyone's word that theirs was exempt from the recall without checking with other sources.

The bigger "Hidden" issue is with the V6 engines valves, adjusting is expensive and complicated and failure to do so leads to burned exhaust valves.