Support in roof of Compact II for a/c? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2009, 06:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 1973 Compact II
HI, I've read hundreds and hundreds of your posts to learn about fiberglass trailers and thank you! Picking up Compact II this weekend - 36-year-old trailer in great shape. Here in LA need a/c and have seen no posts on roof installation for Compact II of a low profile RV a/c.

Can it be done? Thanks, Pat
Pat Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:10 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I have a Compact II with a Coleman swamp cooler mounted on top and in front of the poptop. I don't think there is enough room to mount a RV AC up front and the pop top is not strong enough to hold an A/C. I would suggest installing a small 5K BTU in the rear wall over the sink if there is enough room. This would be the simplest and the least expensive option. (<$100)
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I agree with Eddie. I don't think the roof is strong enough to support an air conditioner. The AC on my Compact Jr. is mounted in the front window. That's the simplest method and can be reversed if no AC is needed in the future. I've also seen photos of a Compact with an AC installed low in the front wall and supported by the tongue. So there are several options.
Tom Trostel

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm41/to...sonphotos28.jpg
Old 01-15-2009, 09:32 AM   #4

Quote:
I agree with Eddie. I don't think the roof is strong enough to support an air conditioner. The AC on my Compact Jr. is mounted in the front window. That's the simplest method and can be reversed if no AC is needed in the future. I've also seen photos of a Compact with an AC installed low in the front wall and supported by the tongue. So there are several options.
Tom Trostel

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm41/to...sonphotos28.jpg
Thank you to you both - was afraid this would be the answer - I've read the posts on a/c units in various places and of the fragile nature of fiberglass walls on Compact II so do not want to cut into the wall. Looks like front window is it unless trailer has vents in unknown-to-me places - I'll find out this weekend. Seller kindly is towing trailer halfway to meet me - no more car or teardrop camping - actually can stand up to change clothes.

Wonder if people in all those cars on the highway whizzing by on top of mountain in Washington knew that between those two open doors of the car towing a teardrop, a woman was changing clothes? Knew I'd be okay at the speed they were rushing by - no one knew or cared. Now won't have to do that any more - hurrah!
Old 01-15-2009, 11:14 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Pat
Some more options. If your Domestic frig. is bad you can remove it and there is an outside grille behind it. This is a good place to put the A/C. You will probably have to remove the frig. anyway to replace the wood shelf that supports the frig. (Inspect behind the frig.) Now the decision will be, what stays cool you or the food. I spent a summer in CENLA and I know what my decision would be. (The food is a better fit for the cooler.) You could also install a small microwave above the A/C and put a dorm frig. under the sink or replace some of the drawers with an electric frig. There seems to be a theme here, moving to an all electric trailer. Just suggesting some ideas.
Good luck with your trailer.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #6

Trailer: Compact Jr
Registry
Pat
You can install a vent for your air conditioner through the wall of your trailer and reinforce the opening with a wood frame that you can fiberglass to the inside edges of the hole. This not only strenghens the opening but gives you an area to screw the vent frame to. I have done this and have not had a problem.

I placed the air conditioner low in the cabinets to help with weight distribution.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cherry_flooring_SMALL.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	17572

The vent is sections off in three. The outer two are intake and the center is output for hot air.

Click image for larger version

Name:	air_conditioner_vent_SMALL.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	17573

This has worked very good and the air conditioner rest on a frame attached to the floor so it places no stress on the fiberglass wall.

Good luck in what ever you do. You found the right site for ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
SIDE_OF_TRAILER_AFTER_SANDING_SMALL.JPG  
Rick Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:47 PM   #7

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Registry
Pat,

Welcome to the Compact club.

I've been considering getting a small window AC unit, installing it once at camp, only when needed and power is available. There are some really inexpensive units on the market - under $100, and the diminsons listed indicate that they would fit in the Compact Jr. side window. Might have to put a 'crutch' under it when installed, but that's a simple matter.

A permanent mounting would be a good thing for desert dwellers and hot climate campers, which may be you (LA). Since I only really 'need' it a few times a year I'd rather not haul it around on every trip.
Phill Roehrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Pat,

Welcome to the Compact club.

I've been considering getting a small window AC unit, installing it once at camp, only when needed and power is available. There are some really inexpensive units on the market - under $100, and the diminsons listed indicate that they would fit in the Compact Jr. side window. Might have to put a 'crutch' under it when installed, but that's a simple matter.

A permanent mounting would be a good thing for desert dwellers and hot climate campers, which may be you (LA). Since I only really 'need' it a few times a year I'd rather not haul it around on every trip.
Got the trailer this past weekend - long, long trip with little adventures. Turns out the propane furnace is at floor level and has a vent to outside - now to measure furnace area and see if an a/c unit is available that size since don't plan on using furnace and will take it out. The interior is in amazing condition. I'm 5' 1" so don't need the popup to stand. Now if could teach Dog Perfect to use the step that came with it - he kept leaping up into the trailer from the ground and is over 11 and going to hurt himself.

Trailer is like a time capsule - original avocado appliances (stove, ice box) and golden orange counter and table; even has the very faded and raggedy original curtains plus like-new original cushions and floor. Everything in good shape and working. No rust on applicances.

Thanks again for this forum's help - couldn't have done it without you.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Pat
You can install a vent for your air conditioner through the wall of your trailer and reinforce the opening with a wood frame that you can fiberglass to the inside edges of the hole. This not only strenghens the opening but gives you an area to screw the vent frame to. I have done this and have not had a problem.

I placed the air conditioner low in the cabinets to help with weight distribution.

Attachment 17572

The vent is sections off in three. The outer two are intake and the center is output for hot air.

Attachment 17573

This has worked very good and the air conditioner rest on a frame attached to the floor so it places no stress on the fiberglass wall.

Good luck in what ever you do. You found the right site for ideas.
Where you are showing is exactly where current furnace is and already has vent to outside !!!!!! What a/c is that? That would fit in my Compact II. This is great. Thank you
Old 01-22-2009, 08:32 PM   #10

Trailer: Compact Jr
Registry
Pat
This is a 5000 btu window air conditioner I bought at WalMart. If you do are going to put it there, I will try to answer any question you may have, just ask
Rick Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:03 PM   #11

Trailer: Hunter 1 / Chevy Blazer
Registry
Pat,
Please send us pictures. I too have the green stove and icebox, but my counter and table are white. But I do have the "Brady Bunch" flooring.

Thanks,
Linda
Linda of San Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Pat,
Please send us pictures. I too have the green stove and icebox, but my counter and table are white. But I do have the "Brady Bunch" flooring.

Thanks,
Linda

HI Linda - haven't taken any pictures yet - yeah, I know - should of the minute I got it. The original busy little patterned floor is like new as are the cushions and wall coverings and appliances. Outside not in as wonderful shape but new seam tape helped.

Do you find the ice box usable or need something else? Mine has the closet just inside the door and bucket portapotty fits right in next to plastic box shelving someone put in. That alone made buying this one a good thing even if did have to drive 1400 miles in 3 days to get it with no night towing since no brake lights. Great to sit with cup of freshly made coffee by the little lake at Texas' Tyler State Park as the sun set. Great place.
Thanks,
Pat
Old 01-27-2009, 10:21 PM   #13

Trailer: Hunter 1 / Chevy Blazer
Registry
Pat,
I used the ice box for a while, it worked ok, but I still had my cooler. I have since taken out the icebox and put in an electric cooler. Still testing that one, I think I may have to vent it more. Mine didn't have the porta potty, just a small closet, my dad converted to shelves for me, I have a bucket type porta potty that slides under the bed or sits outside durning the day.

See my pictures under "Show us your rigs" Page 15

Linda
Linda of San Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Pat - congratulations on finding this wonderful 'time capsule" (love that one) and bringing it safely to 'nest' at home. NOW the fun really begins! We wish you safe journeys and many, many happy memories!

Rick - nice installation of the AC. Thanx for the photos & info.

Take care, all - L 'n D