Support legs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #1

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Support legs

The two rear support legs are just about impossible for me to get down. I have tried all kinds of lubricants, wd40, 3in 1 oil, diesel fuel, etc and all that does is collect the road dirt more and make it worse. Suggestions appreciated.
Thanks,
Patti
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #2

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
If they are like Scamp legs, you have to pull them away from where connected to the bumper about 1/2" first.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Or is it that the telescoping part won't slide out. If that's the case, can you move them with a tool in the holes, a round rod or even a screw driver, through the outer hole so that it sticks out the back, then pry down or up. If you can't get them to swing down from the folded up horizontal position then Dennis has the answer, pull them out from the pivot point, then they drop down. Ours were missing so I got new ones from etrailer.com, I think they are about 16 or 18 dollars each, the rod tool may have to be purchased extra. You may possibly also find them on Amazon, Camping World, or other suppliers, but I like etrailer. If yours are going to be an ongoing problem you might as well replace them. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by keekers View Post
The two rear support legs are just about impossible for me to get down. I have tried all kinds of lubricants, wd40, 3in 1 oil, diesel fuel, etc and all that does is collect the road dirt more and make it worse. Suggestions appreciated.
Thanks,
Patti
Patti if you post a photo of the type you have it may help.
As someone suggested on the scamp ones they need to be pulled away from the bumper a little to get down but om mine I while they are still in the horizontal position I need to push them back towards the top hinge section before they will release down.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #5

Colorado
Registry
It is the telescoping part that takes much more strength than I have to pull out that lets them fold down for use. The part that adjusts the highth moves OK. I appreciate all the help. The supports are the original to the UHaul that are bolted or maybe welded to the bumper.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #6

Name: Robert
Trailer: 1985 scamp 13ft
Oregon
I found on my rear jacks that the spring can get out of its groove or on the wrong side and cause that type of problem
Robert Detrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Patti I dont know what uhaul used thus the reason a photo would be good to see if they are the same as whats on the Scamp... often the parts are interchangeable. I cant pull mine straight down either without first fulling them away from the hinge part (not push towards as I suggested before) before they will pull down.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Some of those supports or stabilizers can be tough to get down just because they are in an awkward location to get at. The ones I put under our teardrop I almost have to lay on the ground to get at. Maybe you could come up with a tool to help you. Rope or rod with a hook on the end for example, or maybe new ones would work easier. As I recall I had to re-drill one hole to bolt on the new ones. Maybe the screw type would be easier for you to operate. I like a stabilizer that is permanently attached to the trailer so that I don't have to find a place to store it while traveling.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I have a UHaul and those back legs were a pain. I was able to get them down, but I could never get them to just the right height. I had my trailer place install some crank down stabilizer jacks and I love them.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #10

Colorado
Registry
Smile

Thanks everyone for the ideas and Pam I really like yours-get rid of them! I'm headed out next week so I'll try to make do this time.
Thanks,
Patti
Old 08-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #11

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Patti, just an FYI, in order to get those jacks into the 'down' position, you need to take hold of the main body of the jack, and pull it straight (horizontally) towards the middle of the trailer, then swing it down.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #12

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
legs

To get the support legs to the right height, lower the front of the trailer below level, then deploy the support legs. Then crank up the front again until it's level, and that will make the trailer stable.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:26 AM   #13
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Scissor jacks, about $20 each at Walmart or crank down stabilizers about $60 for a pair plus installation at an RV store. Raz
Attached Thumbnails
image-3099528635.jpg  
Attached Images

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:42 AM   #14

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Thanks for the photo and price of the Wal-Mart scissor jacks. We had been using the little lightweight jacks that came with our Boler but I imagine these would be much more solid. Off to get some today.
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #15

Colorado
Registry
Raz, I think I'll go to wallyworld today to try to find the scissor jacks-- just in case.
Thanks,
Patti
Old 08-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #16
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
The up side- they are cheap and if you forget to crank them "up" they just fall over. The down side is they require a home.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I hated those awful "stab jacks" that were bolted on the bumper of my Scamp. Whenever I wanted to stabilize my trailer, it seemed I was always 1/2 hole off. My hands got really grimmy pulling them down or putting them back.... UGH. I couldn't wait to pitch those suckers. I'm using something else now, but when the budget aligns... I'm buying BAL stabilizers like in Raz's post. Hey Floyd.. ya like those, right?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #18

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Trouble with rear support legs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by keekers View Post
Thanks,
Patti
..Here are pictures of rear support legs from 1300Trillium. I got troubles to pull out and the former owner tied them with rear bumper. My solution is big bang with a hammer, take it out, straighten it, grease it, add a make-shift spring in each then finally "chain" them with cables. Hopefully those pictures help you somehow...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG409.jpg   IMG408.jpg  

IMG425.jpg  
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote