Suprise! Duo-therm heater issues! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2010, 12:04 AM   #1

Name: Sean
Trailer: Bigfoot
Saskatchewan
Suprise! Duo-therm heater issues!

I have searched for answers but have only found one thread regarding this issue and no solution was posted.

The pilot light will not stay lit, seems to a common issue. This is on a gravity unit with no fan or electrics and the pilot light must be manually lit. replaced the thremo couple and didn't help.

The heater is in a trilliam of unknown year. Located under the sink. the pilot to my uneducated eyes, seems ok, if you look up inside its pretty tall, but does not heat the thermo couple enough to activate the gas valve, since the couple is located under (which is a poor design to me) the piolot flame.

Aside from the gas valve being possibly full of crap, what other things could I look at before sending it to a shop? the flame is not stable and reacts with any bit of air movement, including someone walking past the vent out side. Aside from that everything else works fine and just needs some much needed TLC.
Orcus79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #2

Trailer: 76 Honey Neonex Boler
Registry
Hi Sean

I'm no expert but it sounds like the gas valve is dirty and should be removed and cleaned to get a strong blue flame.
Are you sure that the new thermo coupler is the correct size? When I had mine replaced I know they could not use the "universal one-size fits all", a longer coupler was needed. The thermo coupler should be close enough to the pilot light so that it can be heated. Sometimes the coupler must be gentlly bent closer for this to happen.
I had some great help from my local propane company technicians with my repairs.
Best of luck with the restoration.
Karen L W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 4500
clean pilot

Pilot flame should touch/envelop 3/8 to 1/2 inch of thermocouple tip. Your description indicates pilot is weak, so clean it by directing a tube or straw and blow hard to dislodge dust, spider web blockage and relight. If that does'nt do the job you may have to loosen nut at bottom of pilot, and clean pilot oriface manually. Hope that helps.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #4

Saskatchewan
Thank you for the suggestions, given the age and length of time this trailer has sat. I think both ideas are good ones, it has beend ecided that when feasible, it will be taken to a repair centre for service.

I have a hunch that the gas system is full of dirt and blocking the gas valve and or pilot nozel.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I had one once that had a noseeum (Small Bug) web in the gas tube going to the pilot. Removed the web and all worked ok.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:01 PM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Could be the regulator. Does the stove burn strong?
Brian Gibbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:45 AM   #7

Saskatchewan
When i used the trailer, i didn't use the stove, opting to use my back pack stove out side. Though i do have a feeling it could be dirty. Fridge works great though.