Surf-side salvage operation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2019, 01:44 PM   #1

Name: Cate & Dan
Trailer: 1976 Triple E SurfSide "The Mutt Hut"
Manitoba
Surf-side salvage operation

It's not as bad as it sounds but I am embarking on a major overhaul of our '76 Surfside. All the usual culprits, body sag, roof sag, door fit, a frame fix to look into, window seals and a really ugly paint job.
We have been living with it for 4 years doing just local camps but my brother has recently moved to Ottawa and my brother in law lives in Edmonton so we'd like to be able to rely on it further afield.
Pretty much gutted it and the man has sanded a lot of the awful battleship grey house paint off the outside so now to the structure. Have the roof supported at the moment and peeled back the ensolite to install some ribs. It obviously saw a snow load at some point. Will move the vent at the same time. Think that maybe I only have to replace floor from the dinette forward, some cracks at the wheel well and since the bolts come through the floor, replacement of the bolts with stainless steel may well lead to a frame off endeavor. Frame has been repaired at the upward bend but am not sure if the wheel well cracking came as a result of a frame failure or floor sag. It is on both sides. I personally would like to have a good look at the frame anyway. My husband would like to sell it but since I am the one doing the work and have the skills, I see it as a challenge. Want to shore up the structure some, and glass unneeded holes before pulling it off so it doesn't completely spread even if the frame needs replacing.
Only thing I won't do is metal fabrication so would have to send it out. Plan on a slightly bigger bed with a front dinette and slightly smaller kitchen counter. might add a flip up or pull out extension. Really like peterh's reno so am feeling inspired.
Anyone out there know if the floor is floated above the belly or if I am going to have to separate the plywood from all the fiberglass. Most trailer renos I have seen have the edges glassed which I can cut/grind out but they don't look like they are adhered to the actual eggy part of the belly. Also Triple E appears to have literally cut corners on the floors. Does anyone know if this actually serves a purpose or was it just a cost saving measure to not have to try and cut the radius for each trailer. I would like to run the floor right into the corner if I can especially since it seems to sag there but not if it will compromise the shell. It is also cut back slightly from the wheel well which could also be ease of manufacture. The bigger the gap, the easier the fit. A good carpenter wants things to fit a lot closer, though maybe not a friction fit with the fiberglass. Any tips, input, advice will be appreciated.

Thanks
Cate
Old Macdonalds is offline   Reply With Quote