Surfside Windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2007, 08:38 AM   #1

Trailer: 1979 Surfside / 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara
We have taken the screws out but still are unable to remove the broken window crank assembly. The RV repair shop has all the replacement pieces but I don't know how to take out the long bar across the bottom of the window in order to replace the piece. The other side of the bar is attached with a rivet but even if I remove that side, still wondering how to take out the bar.

Thanks for any input!
Tony and Karolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 05:33 PM   #2

Name: Alan
Trailer: Triple E Surf Side
Ontario
You will doubltless get replies from others answering your question about how to take out the long rod without cutting it. When I did this task several years ago I asked this same question and got a number of replies that belonged to two different schools.
First is not to cut the rod. Second school says its much easier to just cut it with a hack saw and then splice it when re-assembling. I went with the second approach and used a few inches of copper water pipe to make the splice. One could almost certainly find aluminum pipe with the same inside diameter and it would look less noticeable.

Would be happy to answer any other questions.

Alan
Alan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 07:50 PM   #3

thanks allan for your response. I have thought about this a bit,so this is my take on it. Im going to cut it in half then put on a one foot sleeve on one side. Then attatch the new winder. Slide the sleeve evenly over the two pieces drill a small hole threw both rods on each end. Then a small coter pin in each hole and presto a winder that works. Ill propably get on to it late next week just finishing the deck at home so we can enjoy trailer life with no guilty feelings. Thanxs so much!!!!!!
Old 05-26-2007, 11:11 PM   #4

Name: Alan
Trailer: Triple E Surf Side
Ontario
Quote:
tIm going to cut it in half then put on a one foot sleeve on one side. Then attatch the new winder. Slide the sleeve evenly over the two pieces drill a small hole threw both rods on each end. Then a small coter pin in each hole and presto a winder that works.
Sounds similar to what i did but my sleeve is shorter. Rather than holes and cotter pins I drilled small aligned holes through both the sleeve and the inner tube (one on each side of the cut in the inner tube). Then I used appropriately sized short screws to attach them. It has worked well for a few years.

Alan
Alan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:33 AM   #5

Alan, the screw is going to be the way I go as well! Thanks for the info! Happy travels.

Tony
Old 05-27-2007, 08:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Howdy, do you have the same jalousie widows as the 13 ft. Bolers have? If so you can change the crank assemblies without cutting the shaft but carefully cutting and bending the window frame inside the trailer.....I`ve done both sides of my Boler windows and it works slick.....I told another member how to do it, but he bent the aluminum too sharply and broke off the piece of metal....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:03 AM   #7

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
I'd appreciate some pictures of your efforts, if you have the time.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Howdy, I don`t know if you were asking me about pictures.....I don`t think that I can help you with pictures, since the only picture that I would take would be an after shot and it`s not practical to repeat the process for pics.....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surfside, windows