Survey of Garageable Trailers and Heights - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #21

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
My Campster must have the axle below the leaf springs as it stands tall and just scrapes through the 7 ft garage door. It is also much higher to step into than a Boler or Scamp. And I have twelve inch wheels on it as I was worried (for good reason) that thirteens wouldn't make it through the garage door. I did knock off one of the trim pieces the first time I went through. I am not sure the wheel height made a difference but it could have.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #22

Name: Mark
Trailer: Trails West Campster
California
For those who can, please measure & post your trailer height here -- especially if is notably low and possibly "garageable".

Bobbie, even at 6'6" my Trails West would literally scrape by on the "7ft" garage with it's original old-school pull-up wood door. Now with a new metal roll-up in place, I have at least 3-inches clear over the highest point. Not all "7ft" garage openings will be the same -- but then not all Trails West Campsters will be either. (The cover of the Campster brochure shows the body very low over the wheels. I expect the removable wheel spats were originally considered necessary to give more clearance during a tire change.)

Bob, did your '99 Casita Patriot (13') come with the 13 inch wheels? (Currently they list 15 inch wheels and a height of 7'8".)

We may want to rework the original goal as so few would fit in garage using a "7ft" or even an "8ft" door without resorting to smaller wheels or removing vents.
Mark Godfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #23

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Godfrey View Post
For those who can, please measure & post your trailer height here -- especially if is notably low and possibly "garageable".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
My Campster must have the axle below the leaf springs as it stands tall and just scrapes through the 7 ft garage door.
My 1971 Compact Jr. measures exactly 84" tall with the roof closed, and its axle is now "spring over" just like Bobbie's trailer. The ground clearance to the bumper is now 11". It was factory spec "Spring under" when I first bought it, and the ground clearance to the bumper was 7" with an 81" measurement at the closed roof with the "Drop Axle" but it was constantly dragging the bumper when crossing a driveway curb cut. If I were to replace it with a straight axle, it would gain another 4" in height: 15" ground clearance at the bumper and 88" tall at the closed roof.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #24

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Mark,

The 1999 13' Casita Patriot came with 13" tires. We upgraded to 15" for an extra margin of safety and tire availability.

Bob Caldwell
bobcaldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #25

Name: Todd
Trailer: 1974 Scamp 13'
Malvern, Ohio
Registry
I have a 1974 13' Scamp. My garage clearance is 6'11, my Scamp is 6'10, my back bumper is 12 inches off the ground, and my step is 10 inches off the ground.

Todd Reed
Todd Reed is offline   Reply With Quote