SUV or Truck tent on a 13 footer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
SUV or Truck tent on a 13 footer

Anyone tried to attach a truck or suv tent to a 13 footer? Thinking about adding room by doing this and do not want to reinvent the wheel. Good idea or not?
Henry N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Good question! I was wondering the same myself. Anyone tried this?
Ker M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Have you considered the awning style add-a-rooms? I have seen them available down to a 9' width. They are usually screened with privacy panels that roll down. I know I have seen lots of trailer photos from the UK that use a variety of this type of product.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #4

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
I am using the Kelty SUV awning/tent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2349186957.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	46619

As an awning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-930620562.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	46620

The sides can come down to make a tent.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:41 AM   #5

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We have an Easy Up for which you can get solid (canvas) walls or screens. Probably not really canvas but you get the idea.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #6

I had the opportunity to see the SUV tent at a family camping trip. it was the one from Costco. The height of it would work against the trailer, but to attach it to the trailer entrance would be tricky. The straps are short, and are designed to fit and attach to existing clips in the trunk and under your vehicle. I really could not see a way to modify it for a trailer. The straps would have to be modified to be long enough to strap over and under the entire trailer, which may interfere with kitchen window on the other side. Plus it took 20 minutes just to set up the tent! Like others have suggested, a shelter against the trailer works best. We have the First Up Gazebo from Walmart
Old 07-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ker M
I had the opportunity to see the SUV tent at a family camping trip. it was the one from Costco. The height of it would work against the trailer, but to attach it to the trailer entrance would be tricky. The straps are short, and are designed to fit and attach to existing clips in the trunk and under your vehicle. I really could not see a way to modify it for a trailer. The straps would have to be modified to be long enough to strap over and under the entire trailer, which may interfere with kitchen window on the other side. Plus it took 20 minutes just to set up the tent! Like others have suggested, a shelter against the trailer works best. We have the First Up Gazebo from Walmart
Oops! Sorry, I pressed 'send' before I could finish... 😝
...I ended up making blocks out of wood that would raise the gazebo higher to fit just over my trailer so I could open the door to my trillium without hitting it. The SUV tent was the one from Costco.http://m.costco.ca/?p=aHR0cDovL3d3dy...hhbGxwYXJ0aWFs
Old 07-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #8

Name: Heidi
Trailer: '73 Trillium 1300
Saskatchewan
I purchased the same First Up Gazebo for my Trillium also, but yes you do have to raise it slightly so you can open the door as Ker M said.

For quick camping trips though I use four tarp poles and one tarp and then tie to secure. Works great too in a jiffy.
hajnfur is offline   Reply With Quote