Swamp cooler parts needed, pref. U-Haul - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #1

Name: betsy
Trailer: uhaul
New York
Swamp cooler parts needed, pref. U-Haul

Hi all!!

Our lovely '84 u-haul, purchased 2 yrs. ago, to take our old dogs camping in, is a fantastic way to camp. It is in original VGC. However, it seems the swamp cooler top cover had weakened fiberglass, due to aging. Last trip out, we arrived to find it missing, likely left along the NYS Thruway!!

So, I saw an old post by a couple in Connecticut who had one to give away. I suppose it has found a use by now. Does anyone out there have one of the same or similar?? I would like to keep it original. I am a skilled repair tech, so parts in any condition are useful..... our top reservoir pump is also shot, and I haven't found a replacement small enough to fit.....so cover, pump, entire unit????

thanks much,
and we're glad to finally get aboard the site, (past attempts grew quite time consuming and I gave up, Bets has the patience!!!)

Bets and Jim
Attached Thumbnails
needs swamp cooler.jpg   mel.runner.jpg  

bets.kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Good luck. I couldn't give mine away so I sold it on eBay. The top pump was also shot, though the cover was good.

You are on the right track posting here, on the FGRV4Sale site and putting a watch on ebay. I replaced the swamp cooler with a Fantastic fan and have not regretted it, though it took a while for me to get out of the "keep it original" mode and into the "make it enjoyable" mode.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Bets and Jim, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here!

There are a number of U-Haul folks here on the forums along with a bunch of other kind and helpful people.

Glad you've joined us
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #4

New York
Thanks tom for good tips. I will check out the fantastic fan too, Comfort is good!!
Old 07-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #5

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Welcome Betsy and Jim. Great folks and great information on this forum. UHaul's Rule!
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I too replaced the swamp cooler with a fantastic fan. I've since sold the cover but have some of the roof mounted parts. I see no value in keeping the swamp cooler in our part of the country, we are much happier with the fantastic fan. I assume from your name that you are in Kingston NY, about an hour south of us. At what campground was that picture taken. And are you aware of the fiberglass rally in Copake NY in October, it would be nice to have another Uhaul there.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:08 AM   #7

New York
Hi!!!

So nice to finally take time today to log in and find your post. The photo is at Schroon Lake, NY. The state campground at 'Eagle Point' has some great sites. Having a u-haul camper, with a relatively tiny footprint, we were able to get a site on July 4th with no reservation!

Yes, we are in Kingston. Again yesterday, a driver stopped to compliment our u-haul and hopefully inquire if it might be for sale. We are often reminded how lucky we were to find it. My parents are making a campsite on the remaining land from our farm, and I often drive to the Hoosick area with the camper to join them. We can meet up one of those times or we will drive over to the copake rally!! How fun!!

I will try to spend on-line time finding info on the rally and the fantastic fan. I hear your advice to consider replacement rather than repair. It must be a more practical and permanent route to restoring the cooling. We really love this camper!!

Be well, enjoy this fantastic weather, too.

Thanks too. Jim n Bets
Old 08-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I agree with Mary & Bob... Swamp coolers really don't do much unless you have low humidity conditions e.i., in the middle of the desert. On top of that, they pump every drop of water they use into your RV. The Fantastic fans are just that and are well rcommended by almost all that use them.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #9

New York
Jim & Betsy, we are two exits down the Taconic Parkway from the Thruway, I90. Probably close to your route to Hoosick. You should stop by someday on your way up there, you can check out our Uhaul and Fantastic Fan. If you want I'll PM you our phone number. Bob
Old 08-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #10

New York
kingston u-haul visit

Good morn,
Glad for all the input. I wonder whether the fantastic fan you install is fan only or a model that provides some form of cooling? The site seemed to show 'fan only' models.
when it worked, our swamp cooler really lowered the indoor temperature. I work in the mechanical trades, so really loved this simple device. Without an exact replacement cover, I am thinking of crafting a new cover to replace our lost one.

Thanks for the invite to visit your camper, Bob. I know the area well, my friends lived on longview drive off rte. 203 near chatham. I do head to hoosick that way sometimes, so sure. I can figure out what a pm is and exchange info sometime soon.

Thanks all
Bets n Jim
Old 08-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bets.kingston View Post
Good morn,
Glad for all the input. I wonder whether the fantastic fan you install is fan only or a model that provides some form of cooling? The site seemed to show 'fan only' models.
when it worked, our swamp cooler really lowered the indoor temperature.

Thanks all
Bets n Jim
The Fantasic fan is just a fan, but a good one. A swamp cooler, of course, has its own source of water to mist. Like others have mentioned, they only work well in very low humidity.

You should be able to fabricate a new cover from fiberglass or maybe even use convert something like a plastic mortar mixing pan.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #12

New York
Bets, sent you a PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #13

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Nice looking Uhaul, Bets & Jim! Hey guys, look...they have a black center trim as well. If you decide to rebuild your swamp cooler, when I bought mine, it had an automotive water pump connected to it.
I installed a fantastic fan in mine and love it! Welcome and hope you have many great camping trips!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Nice looking Uhaul, Bets & Jim! Hey guys, look...they have a black center trim as well. If you decide to rebuild your swamp cooler, when I bought mine, it had an automotive water pump connected to it.
I installed a fantastic fan in mine and love it! Welcome and hope you have many great camping trips!
I love the black trim. There are lots of small water pumps available, like Little Giants, so I'm sure it can be repaired.

Tags
u-haul