Swapping tires to store scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2015, 09:40 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Swapping tires to store scamp

I'm sure this has been beat to death and I'm sure the answer is somewhere on this forum
For those if you that have swapped out your 13" tires to 8" or 10" how much did you actually gain in clearance ?
For those that tried to small car dollies.... Do you leave the trailer sitting on the rims for any length of time
Obviously I'm looking for a simple solution to what appears to be a common issue for those of us that live in an HOA ( need to move ?)
Bottomline line would you do either of these fixes over again or not if you had other choices
It just seems like swapping tires etc is a pain
Just pondering options vs storage fees

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:45 AM   #2

I sort of asked this same wuestion a fee weeks ago and got some great responses however I'm curious if you would do these again and if you felt leaving trailer on dollies is a good idea etc
Please be gentle as i know this has been brought up ( the usual response of Google is your friend) is not helpful
LOL

Old 09-20-2015, 10:05 AM   #3

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Ontario
It really depends on how much clearance you need to gain. How many inches extra do you need?
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:24 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Just to comment:

I could switch tires/rims a lot of times to avoid a $50-75+ a month storage fee and the worries that go with having your FGRV in a storage lot somewhere. Just going to pick it up at a storage yard would consume more time than a simple tire/rim change out

And sitting on rims is no different than sitting on tires as far as the FGRV is concerned. But, sitting on brake drums for even a few minutes is a no-no in my book.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:57 AM   #5

Thanks for response
Hate my HOA
I guess i wouldn't mind if there was some consistency on applying rules
One street away (same HOA) is a van with 4 flat tires that hasn't moved in a year.... Maybe I should pay the fine might be cheaper than storage fees
Lol

Tags
scamp, tires