switching to 12volt? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #29

Name: Tina
Trailer: Burro
Texas
Registry
I think I just about have this wiring thing all worked out. I'll post again when I know if and how I resolved it all. The jury is still out.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #30

Texas
Registry
Smile

We have everything running off the battery!!!!

Before I started just trying things, I wanted to understand the electrical system the best that I could. I talked to an electrician and now I understand what the converter is for and all that. I traced all my wires and made a diagram of what wires went where in the trailer. I read all the information pertaining to the electrical form the hand written Burro manual on this site.

What finally brought it all together for me was the Trillium wiring PDF in the documents section of this forum. I was looking for 2 additional wires to be coming out of the trailer that did not exist! The diagram showed me that there is only one ground wire and on its way to the tow vehicle, it splits off to the battery. Same with the live/hot wire. I'm sure this sounds very elementary to all of you. but I did not understand a thing about the wiring at the beginning of last week.

Thank you all for your help and support. I feel like I have a much better grasp of how my trailer work and how to fix potential problems that may come up in the future.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #31

Texas
Registry
I'm so glad to hear about this issue now. This 12v charger will just boil your battery dry. It does not have a regulator in it. So we will leave the panel disconnected from the the tow vehicle so that it won't do this. We may however, use it in route for a hour or so if we are dry camping for a longer period of time and want to charge the battery a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Walthinsen View Post
Tina:

If I were in your shoes I would mentally and otherwise prepare to part with most of the Newmark. The 120v part (breakers) are OK, but the 12v charger and distribution panel is a disaster and in our case was a serious fire danger. It will boil out and destroy your battery, etc. and puts out very poorly regulated 12v juice (ours was a model PCS 20RAC). There seemed to be no way to locate the manufacturer either.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #32

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry

Well done!!!! Now get out and enjoy your new trailer.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote