switching to 12volt? - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
Member
 
Tina in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Tina
Trailer: Burro
Texas
Posts: 89
Registry
switching to 12volt?

Okay so how do we switch to the 12v battery? Is there a switch somewhere?

We have a charged battery set up and connected.
We have a AC to DC converter under the dining table. All the seitches are 'on'.
__________________

__________________
Tina in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Not sure about a Burro but it should automatically run off of 12v - whether or not plugged into 110 power. If your lights are 110 then they will not run off the 12 volt - you will need to be plugged into 110 power for them to work (in my scamp I only have one of those) items such as a 3 way fridge need to be switched to 12volt (normally from an outside access panel).
__________________

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
Member
 
Name: rick
Trailer: 1999 casita spirit deluxe 17 foot
Ontario
Posts: 58
did you cheque the fuse. in the ac dc pannel
__________________
greendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
In addition to that fuse - there may also be an inline fuse somewhere close to the battery and some fuses inside the converter box depending on the make of converter.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
Member
 
Tina in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Tina
Trailer: Burro
Texas
Posts: 89
Registry
The fuses I can see are all good. It's a 'Newmark' converter.

All the interior lights work while I'm plugged into 110. None of them work without it. Maybe I don't have any 12v lights? We have an icebox, so no battery power there. When I follow the wires I see 3 capped of wires. I know the previous owner installed a 7 pin for breaks and never put them in. I also know that the previous owner never used battery power.
__________________
Tina in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Are there any wires attached to the battery going into the trailer?
Can you post a photo of your lights?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Tina, in the documents center there is a couple of assembly manuals located here for the Burro which give some wiring info.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #8
Member
 
Tina in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Tina
Trailer: Burro
Texas
Posts: 89
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Tina, in the documents center there is a couple of assembly manuals located here for the Burro which give some wiring info.
Thank you Carol. I forgot to look at the manuals. I'm guessing the 80s design its close to the '98 model.
__________________
Tina in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:55 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Posts: 863
Registry
Tina:
I've done extensive electrical work on our Burro so I have come to some conclusions.

If I were in your shoes I would mentally and otherwise prepare to part with most of the Newmark. The 120v part (breakers) are OK, but the 12v charger and distribution panel is a disaster and in our case was a serious fire danger. It will boil out and destroy your battery, etc. and puts out very poorly regulated 12v juice (ours was a model PCS 20RAC). There seemed to be no way to locate the manufacturer either.

If it is the same model as ours you can replace the converter section with a Progressive Dynamics 9245 converter for four-stage charging without the noise, weight, and general dumbness of the Newmark. I would guess there are other makes which would also do well.

Another recommendation is to replace the 12v fuse panel with one by Blue Sea Systems (West Marine). The original tubular fuses and their holders are extremely poor and resisted all attempts to improve them. Repeatedly tried to start fires as the poor contacts melted and charred the panel.

I'd be happy to give you all the information and pictures I have, since I consider this to be perhaps the most iffy device I found on the Burro we have.
__________________
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:00 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Name: Gene
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Posts: 632
Registry
I'm not sure you are looking in the correct place. I have a Dometic fridge and to turn on the 12 volt you have to access the control panel on the outside of the camper directly adjacent to the fridge. There is a panel that looks like a vent that should open. You should have a choice between gas, AC or 12 volt.
__________________
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:26 PM   #11
Member
 
Tina in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Tina
Trailer: Burro
Texas
Posts: 89
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Walthinsen View Post
Tina:
I've done extensive electrical work on our Burro so I have come to some conclusions.

If I were in your shoes I would mentally and otherwise prepare to part with most of the Newmark. The 120v part (breakers) are OK, but the 12v charger and distribution panel is a disaster and in our case was a serious fire danger. It will boil out and destroy your battery, etc. and puts out very poorly regulated 12v juice (ours was a model PCS 20RAC). There seemed to be no way to locate the manufacturer either.

If it is the same model as ours you can replace the converter section with a Progressive Dynamics 9245 converter for four-stage charging without the noise, weight, and general dumbness of the Newmark. I would guess there are other makes which would also do well.

Another recommendation is to replace the 12v fuse panel with one by Blue Sea Systems (West Marine). The original tubular fuses and their holders are extremely poor and resisted all attempts to improve them. Repeatedly tried to start fires as the poor contacts melted and charred the panel.

I'd be happy to give you all the information and pictures I have, since I consider this to be perhaps the most iffy device I found on the Burro we have.
Thank you. Pictures would be great!

I was just telling my hubby that I think there may be a reason that the battery may be disconnected somewhere.
__________________
Tina in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:30 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Posts: 863
Registry
Tina:
Three pictures. First, the original panel front. Second, the grafted-on new converter in the back. Third, the replacement 12v fuse block.

If and when you delve into these things contact me by PM and I can send you a more detailed description and pictures by regular email.
Attached Thumbnails
Original Electrocenter layout.jpg   IntelliPower mounted on Newmark.jpg  

Fuse block.jpg  
__________________
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:05 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse View Post
I'm not sure you are looking in the correct place. I have a Dometic fridge and to turn on the 12 volt you have to access the control panel on the outside of the camper directly adjacent to the fridge. .
Gene apparently she doesnt have a fridge just an ice box.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:37 AM   #14
Member
 
Jane D.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: Burro&Bambi
Posts: 90
Info share..??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Walthinsen View Post
Tina:

If and when you delve into these things contact me by PM and I can send you a more detailed description and pictures by regular email.
I am going to be doing the same to my Burro in the not too distant future so maybe you could post the info here on this thread???? That would be great.... Just saying.. Thanks, jd
__________________

__________________
Jane D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
7 pin 12volt wire? where too? john warren Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 15 05-20-2012 09:06 PM
12volt lighting upgrades Charles Santos Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 0 10-08-2009 12:13 AM
Switching from Surge to Electric Brakes? Kevin A Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 9 06-18-2007 11:00 PM
LCD TV 12volt DVD players Chester Taje General Chat 15 05-24-2007 10:33 PM
Power surge 12volt DC Hutt Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 7 04-18-2006 06:37 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.