switching to 12volt? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #1

Name: Tina
Trailer: Burro
Arizona
Registry
switching to 12volt?

Okay so how do we switch to the 12v battery? Is there a switch somewhere?

We have a charged battery set up and connected.
We have a AC to DC converter under the dining table. All the seitches are 'on'.
Tina in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Not sure about a Burro but it should automatically run off of 12v - whether or not plugged into 110 power. If your lights are 110 then they will not run off the 12 volt - you will need to be plugged into 110 power for them to work (in my scamp I only have one of those) items such as a 3 way fridge need to be switched to 12volt (normally from an outside access panel).
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #3

Name: rick
Trailer: 1999 casita spirit deluxe 17 foot
Ontario
did you cheque the fuse. in the ac dc pannel
greendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #4

Registry
In addition to that fuse - there may also be an inline fuse somewhere close to the battery and some fuses inside the converter box depending on the make of converter.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #5

Arizona
Registry
The fuses I can see are all good. It's a 'Newmark' converter.

All the interior lights work while I'm plugged into 110. None of them work without it. Maybe I don't have any 12v lights? We have an icebox, so no battery power there. When I follow the wires I see 3 capped of wires. I know the previous owner installed a 7 pin for breaks and never put them in. I also know that the previous owner never used battery power.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #6

Registry
Are there any wires attached to the battery going into the trailer?
Can you post a photo of your lights?
Old 05-24-2012, 09:25 PM   #7

Registry
Tina, in the documents center there is a couple of assembly manuals located here for the Burro which give some wiring info.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Tina, in the documents center there is a couple of assembly manuals located here for the Burro which give some wiring info.
Thank you Carol. I forgot to look at the manuals. I'm guessing the 80s design its close to the '98 model.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #9

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Tina:
I've done extensive electrical work on our Burro so I have come to some conclusions.

If I were in your shoes I would mentally and otherwise prepare to part with most of the Newmark. The 120v part (breakers) are OK, but the 12v charger and distribution panel is a disaster and in our case was a serious fire danger. It will boil out and destroy your battery, etc. and puts out very poorly regulated 12v juice (ours was a model PCS 20RAC). There seemed to be no way to locate the manufacturer either.

If it is the same model as ours you can replace the converter section with a Progressive Dynamics 9245 converter for four-stage charging without the noise, weight, and general dumbness of the Newmark. I would guess there are other makes which would also do well.

Another recommendation is to replace the 12v fuse panel with one by Blue Sea Systems (West Marine). The original tubular fuses and their holders are extremely poor and resisted all attempts to improve them. Repeatedly tried to start fires as the poor contacts melted and charred the panel.

I'd be happy to give you all the information and pictures I have, since I consider this to be perhaps the most iffy device I found on the Burro we have.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita
Registry
I'm not sure you are looking in the correct place. I have a Dometic fridge and to turn on the 12 volt you have to access the control panel on the outside of the camper directly adjacent to the fridge. There is a panel that looks like a vent that should open. You should have a choice between gas, AC or 12 volt.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Walthinsen View Post
Tina:
I've done extensive electrical work on our Burro so I have come to some conclusions.

If I were in your shoes I would mentally and otherwise prepare to part with most of the Newmark. The 120v part (breakers) are OK, but the 12v charger and distribution panel is a disaster and in our case was a serious fire danger. It will boil out and destroy your battery, etc. and puts out very poorly regulated 12v juice (ours was a model PCS 20RAC). There seemed to be no way to locate the manufacturer either.

If it is the same model as ours you can replace the converter section with a Progressive Dynamics 9245 converter for four-stage charging without the noise, weight, and general dumbness of the Newmark. I would guess there are other makes which would also do well.

Another recommendation is to replace the 12v fuse panel with one by Blue Sea Systems (West Marine). The original tubular fuses and their holders are extremely poor and resisted all attempts to improve them. Repeatedly tried to start fires as the poor contacts melted and charred the panel.

I'd be happy to give you all the information and pictures I have, since I consider this to be perhaps the most iffy device I found on the Burro we have.
Thank you. Pictures would be great!

I was just telling my hubby that I think there may be a reason that the battery may be disconnected somewhere.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:30 PM   #12

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Tina:
Three pictures. First, the original panel front. Second, the grafted-on new converter in the back. Third, the replacement 12v fuse block.

If and when you delve into these things contact me by PM and I can send you a more detailed description and pictures by regular email.
Attached Thumbnails
Original Electrocenter layout.jpg   IntelliPower mounted on Newmark.jpg  

Fuse block.jpg  
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:05 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse View Post
I'm not sure you are looking in the correct place. I have a Dometic fridge and to turn on the 12 volt you have to access the control panel on the outside of the camper directly adjacent to the fridge. .
Gene apparently she doesnt have a fridge just an ice box.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:37 AM   #14

Trailer: Bambi
Info share..??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Walthinsen View Post
Tina:

If and when you delve into these things contact me by PM and I can send you a more detailed description and pictures by regular email.
I am going to be doing the same to my Burro in the not too distant future so maybe you could post the info here on this thread???? That would be great.... Just saying.. Thanks, jd
Jane D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:47 AM   #15

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Are there any wires attached to the battery going into the trailer?
Can you post a photo of your lights?
Yes, a red wire and black wire. I will work on some pictures.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:49 AM   #16

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse View Post
I'm not sure you are looking in the correct place. I have a Dometic fridge and to turn on the 12 volt you have to access the control panel on the outside of the camper directly adjacent to the fridge. There is a panel that looks like a vent that should open. You should have a choice between gas, AC or 12 volt.
We have an ice box, so we don't have what you are talking about.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #17

Arizona
Registry
Here are the wires that come out of the battery. The previous owner had added wires for a 7 pin to add brakes. He never added them. I'm guessing some, if not all of the wires here that are capped off are for brakes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Spring 2012 019.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	46594

Name:	Spring 2012 021.jpg
Size:	346.1 KB
ID:	46595

Name:	Spring 2012 022.jpg
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	46596

Name:	Spring 2012 024.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	406.2 KB
ID:	46597
Old 05-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina in AZ View Post
Thank you Carol. I forgot to look at the manuals. I'm guessing the 80s design its close to the '98 model.
LOL if its anything like a Scamp there is little to no difference

You may also get more responses from other Burro owners if you where to change your subject title to include Burro.

You might want to purchase a voltage meter & trace the wires to checking to see which lines have power and which dont. A good starting point would be the wire going from the battery to the converter.

As suggested it could be your converter isnt working correctly or there is a switch on it you need to change or the wiring into it is not correct or an inline fuse that you may not be able to see - mine has very small glass fuses that are on the wire coming from the battery in small holders - one is wrapped in tape so its not visible unless you know it was there and the other is hidden in a hatch behind some wall covering ....but I dont know what the Burro's wiring set up is... good luck!

Edit: Just saw your photos - I would unwrap them and then trace to see where the ones that are capped go - back to the tow are back to the trailer -The red wire thats capped is very much needed by the trailer for battery power. On mine the blue wire is the one thats attached to the trailer brakes.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #19

Arizona
Registry
Well, I disconnected all the power sources, and started unwinding the electrical tape.

The red and black wires went to nothing! I don't yet see where the black and red wires were cut from. From in side the trailer I can find the black wire, but cannot find where it exits to the outside of the trailer. It seems to cross over to the other side of the trailer without exiting with the other wires. I cannot even find the red wire end. Hmm...I had better keep investigating.

Thanks for all the tips. Once I get this figured out, I am expecting to see a reason for these wires being disconnected
Old 05-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina in AZ View Post
The red and black wires went to nothing!:
LOL that would do it! Can never figure out why if something doesnt work people tend to just pull the item out or cut the wires off..... .

Once you get the wires sorted out and it still does not work, if I had to guess as to why I would put my money on Per's suggestion.... the converter.