Switching to LED light bulbs? - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-09-2017, 11:31 AM   #1
Member
 
Name: Sandra
Trailer: Parkliner SOLD November 2017
South Carolina
Posts: 84
Registry
Switching to LED light bulbs?

I need advise. I want to switch to LED light bulbs. Do I have to replace the entire light fixture or can I just swap out the incandescent bulb for the LED bulb?
__________________

Sandy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:58 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Posts: 689
You can just switch out the bulbs. For each fixture, you need to check and see what type of base the bulb has. Some are twist in some are two wire pins that just plug in, and some are just push in. You have to make sure to get the proper base type. Beyond that, your next decision would be what "color, or temperature" you want. Higher the temperature, the more bluish the light will be. "Warm white" is usually close to what a normal incandescent bulb puts out.

One more thing that is critical for LED bulbs is polarity, the fixture needs to be wired correctly. Since this isn't an issue for incandescent bulbs, the manufacturers sometimes get a bit sloppy in this area. They do sell LED bulbs that internally correct this, they are termed "polarity neutral" or something similar.
__________________

LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:36 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Paul O.'s Avatar
 
Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Colorado
Posts: 1,570
Regarding the polarity, it is not very difficult to swap the wires that feed the fixtures, if needed. I had to do it on one of my fixtures.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:49 PM   #4
Member
 
Name: Sandra
Trailer: Parkliner SOLD November 2017
South Carolina
Posts: 84
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
You can just switch out the bulbs. For each fixture, you need to check and see what type of base the bulb has. Some are twist in some are two wire pins that just plug in, and some are just push in. You have to make sure to get the proper base type. Beyond that, your next decision would be what "color, or temperature" you want. Higher the temperature, the more bluish the light will be. "Warm white" is usually close to what a normal incandescent bulb puts out.

One more thing that is critical for LED bulbs is polarity, the fixture needs to be wired correctly. Since this isn't an issue for incandescent bulbs, the manufacturers sometimes get a bit sloppy in this area. They do sell LED bulbs that internally correct this, they are termed "polarity neutral" or something similar.
Thanks!
Sandy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:33 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: Gerry
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1300 / 1991 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Maine
Posts: 1,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Regarding the polarity, it is not very difficult to swap the wires that feed the fixtures, if needed. I had to do it on one of my fixtures.
I found most interior bulb sockets allow the bulb to be just turned over.
Gerry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:10 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
WaltP's Avatar
 
Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Posts: 1,515
You need to pay attention to the brightness as well. They should put out at least 300 lumens to have comparable brightness to the incandescents. Not all will meet that level.

Walt
__________________
Past owner of 1995 13' Casita, 1994 16' Casita, 2012 Parkliner, 2002 17' Bigfoot.
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:10 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Posts: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy54 View Post
I need advise. I want to switch to LED light bulbs. Do I have to replace the entire light fixture or can I just swap out the incandescent bulb for the LED bulb?
How old is your Parkliner? We got ours in October, last year. I has all LED lamps on the inside and the side markers. Only the tail/stop/turn lamps at the rear are not.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Posts: 511
You can replace incandescent with LED bulbs. Just make sure your LEDs have the same base as the bulbs you are replacing as there is more than one kind. Most incandescent bulbs produce a mid range frequency (warm) light. A mid range (temperature) LED will produce a similar light. Also match the output of the LED with the original bulb so you have enough light.
If the LED doesn't light when installed, remove it and turn it over as they are polarity sensitive, unlike incandescent bulks.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:08 PM   #9
Member
 
Name: Sandra
Trailer: Parkliner SOLD November 2017
South Carolina
Posts: 84
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
How old is your Parkliner? We got ours in October, last year. I has all LED lamps on the inside and the side markers. Only the tail/stop/turn lamps at the rear are not.
I picked it up on January 31st. I didn't order it with LED lamps. Thought I could replace them for less than the charged for LED's.
Sandy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:28 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Mike Magee's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 5,805
You can, and it's an easy process. Wise decision IMO. Don't worry if the new LEDs happen to be a little less bright. They use about 1/10 the power, so you can afford to run more of them at a time.
__________________
In the '60s, people took LSD to make the world seem weird.
Now the world is weird, and people take Prozac to make it seem normal.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:36 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Name: Gerry
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1300 / 1991 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Maine
Posts: 1,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy54 View Post
I picked it up on January 31st. I didn't order it with LED lamps. Thought I could replace them for less than the charged for LED's.
You do not need to replace all of them. In my large trailer I replace some where I know I would need them, Like over the easy chairs where I know I would be doing some reading and over the Kitchen counter were I would be cooking but in places where it's not too important, Over table and in bathroom, I didn't.
In my small Boler where there is only 4 lights in all I replaced them all.
Gerry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:42 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Gilles's Avatar
 
Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Posts: 669
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy54 View Post
I picked it up on January 31st. I didn't order it with LED lamps. Thought I could replace them for less than the charged for LED's.
I replaced some with LEDs that I found less expensive, but it turned out that the lights were overheating and I had to replace them with better quality ones to fix the problem.
The little led lights went out, burning, one after the other.
After discussions on this site, I realized that the inexpensive lights I had bought, were able to receive 14 volts DC max, which is o.k. with the battery only.
But when connected on the 120 volts AC, the transformer provides up to 16 volts, which cheaper lights could not survive, they overheated ...
__________________
Gilles
Bigfoot 25B21RB.
Towed with Dodge RAM 1500 Echo-Diesel, 3.0 L., 8 speeds.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:03 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Gilles's Avatar
 
Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Posts: 669
Registry
Also, studies show that when replacing our incandescent lights with led, it is better to replace them with warm white instead of white-blue (cold white).

The blue white led (cold white) would affect our brain, until we stop sleeping after a less prolonged exposure.

If you do a little research on the internet, you should easily find an article on these studies.
__________________

__________________
Gilles
Bigfoot 25B21RB.
Towed with Dodge RAM 1500 Echo-Diesel, 3.0 L., 8 speeds.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
light


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LED light bulbs??? Uplander Modifications, Alterations and Updates 44 05-22-2015 03:50 PM
LED bulbs Perry Mac Donald General Chat 6 01-27-2010 02:51 PM
Bulbs Replaced With LED's in Escape - Fantastic! dkdavies Modifications, Alterations and Updates 9 05-31-2008 11:28 PM
LED light bulbs for Scamp ted saxton Modifications, Alterations and Updates 0 09-18-2007 04:35 AM
LED taillight bulbs Alistair Camelford General Chat 9 11-10-2006 01:39 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.