switching to two 6 volt batteries??? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2016, 03:32 PM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
I too just got (2) Trojan 6 volt batteries rated at 225 AH each...that is substantially more than my 12 volt marine/rv deep cycle at under 100 AH by itself...They are tremendously heavy in comparison though and I am not sure I want to put that much weight on the tongue to stress the frame of my '71 Boler even though the frame is in good condition. I am considering a box on the rear bumper. One thing to consider though with a battery setup is the distance and size of cable from the battery bank to the charger/controller and/or inverter. To small a diameter/gauge or too long a cable and you can get voltage drop and/or generate heat if the cables are not sufficient to carry the load.
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:34 PM   #22

Deep South
I have the T-105 same as TimberWolf mentioned...
Old 03-30-2016, 03:38 PM   #23

Deep South
Also, here is a link to a very good explanation of voltage drop and a calculator for it as well...Voltage Drop Calculator
Old 03-30-2016, 05:35 PM   #24

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
if it hasn't been posted before....

this is a good link......1/3 more available amp hours.....and 1/3 the cost...over time

Deep Cycle Golf Cart Batteries For Power Storage

I have the same Bigfoot propane locker.....if I put two GCs in there and couldn't remove the tanks...I don't think anybody would fill them around here .....you got to admit those optics don't look good....probably work just fine forever...but removing the fill nozzle always squirts a little LIQUID (quickly turning to vapor)....one spark right then would cause a very loud bang...if it was me I'd install a cover over the batts...a right sized upside down plastic tub would do the trick....(my batts are inside the coah now)
Attached Thumbnails
sp9b.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:20 PM   #25

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Hi Tim,
Wish I checked out your Scamp at Green Eggs and Ham. I'm looking at adding two GC2 6V batteries to replace my group 29 12V battery on our 16' Scamp, but the space seems tight to be able to get them both within the frame width of the current location. Did you finalize your installation, and if so, do you have any photos? Did you end up switching to the single tank?
Here is a link to the thread showing pics of the conversion:http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-67478.html. It all fits but is snug. The bottle goes in and out fine but has to be out to get the batteries in/out. I think I have all of 3/4" to spare in length for the batteries. Height is not an issue since I sized the space for the taller propane bottle.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:16 PM   #26

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Here is a link to the thread showing pics of the conversion:http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-67478.html. It all fits but is snug. The bottle goes in and out fine but has to be out to get the batteries in/out. I think I have all of 3/4" to spare in length for the batteries. Height is not an issue since I sized the space for the taller propane bottle.
Thanks Tim. I suspect the two batteries are right behind the propane tank? Did you fit them lengthwise front to back or widthwise side to side?
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:47 PM   #27

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Thanks Tim. I suspect the two batteries are right behind the propane tank? Did you fit them lengthwise front to back or widthwise side to side?
Widthwise end to end behind bottle. I would take a pic but have lost my camera.. I actually took some cardboard and made a mock-up* of the two batteries (from dimensions gleaned from the 'net) and made sure it all fit. I had everything built before I even bought the batteries.

*I come by this honestly. My Mother built a whole scale model (out of cut up manila folders) of the two-story custom home she had built 35 years ago. It even had little scale furniture in the rooms to make sure it all fit! The Contractor loved it, no change orders during construction because she had worked it all out ahead of time and knew what she wanted and what would work.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot