switching to two 6 volt batteries??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2014, 05:05 PM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: bigfoot
British Columbia
switching to two 6 volt batteries???

Hi all, Im looking for any advise on removing the 12 volt battery and installing two 6 volts on my 1998 BF 21 ft. I did some quick measurments and there doesnt seem to be a lot of room for the two new 6 volt batteries and still be able to pull the propane tanks.
Thanks
Bob
krusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:52 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I would love to have 2 six volt golf cart batteries instead of the single 12 volt but I don't have the room and adding more weight to the tongue also creates more problems for me. If I had the physical room and could handle the extra weight on the tongue I would certainly do it.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:29 PM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2773.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	425.4 KB
ID:	77715

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2774.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	414.2 KB
ID:	77716
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:51 PM   #4

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
I own a BF 21 I have 2 6-volt batteries in front of the propane tanks under the cover. I have the tanks filled in place.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:00 AM   #5

British Columbia
I didnt think you could get the tanks filled up without placing them on a scale!
Old 10-16-2014, 06:33 AM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I am changing from two propane bottles and one (12V) battery to one propane and two (6V) batteries. There will some weight increase but not much, and I tow with a 1/2 ton pickup so it will not hurt. The batteries will sit behind the single propane and the new set up is actually cleaner looking as the old dual propane hung over each side of the tongue.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:36 PM   #7

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
If two 6-volt batteries will not fit, how about swapping the typical group 24 that comes with most trailers with a group 27 or 31? I swapped in a group 27 on my Scamp, and went from about 80 amp hours of storage to about 100 amp hours.

Measure the space for your battery carefully before you buy.8-)

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:44 AM   #8

British Columbia
Well thanks for the info but I'm going to put a little more thought on how to go about it. I've read some articles of some guys going to 20lb prop. tanks and moving them closer to the trailer, other guys are removing one tank. I still think I can get the two 6 volts under the cover and keep the tanks as they are.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:40 AM   #9

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
What would the advantage of having two 6 volt batteries which I assume you would be hooking up in series to get 12 volts vs having two 12 volt batteries hooked up in parallel to get 12 volts with more capacity. Just curious.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:57 AM   #10

British Columbia
I've been told that they last much longer.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:16 AM   #11

North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
What would the advantage of having two 6 volt batteries which I assume you would be hooking up in series to get 12 volts vs having two 12 volt batteries hooked up in parallel to get 12 volts with more capacity. Just curious.
All things equal there wouldn't be any advantage. But, in the real world it seems true deep cycle 6V batteries are more available and more economical for their capacity and size. Luckily we have a lot to choose from in batteries and you just need to access your needs and constraints and go from there in making your choice.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:18 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Larger capacity in two 6 volt batteries and if you're a boondocker, that may be important to you.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:40 AM   #13

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
6 V golf cart batteries have the same foot print as a group 24 battery. They are however taller. If you add another 12 V battery to your trailer, you can either put them in parallel, which is not recommended, or use a battery switch to select one or the other. If you use two 6 V golf cart batteries you get more then twice the capacity, and you draw from and charge both of them at the same time.

They both act like one big battery, and they fit where two group 24 batteries would go.

My Trillium 4500 has room for two golf cart batteries and 33.5 lbs of propane. I have a forklift propane bottle. I could fit a 43.5 lb tank, if I required that much propane.
Attached Thumbnails
Clipboard01.jpg  
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
6 V golf cart batteries have the same foot print as a group 24 battery. They are however taller. If you add another 12 V battery to your trailer, you can either put them in parallel, which is not recommended, or use a battery switch to select one or the other. If you use two 6 V golf cart batteries you get more then twice the capacity, and you draw from and charge both of them at the same time.

They both act like one big battery, and they fit where two group 24 batteries would go.

My Trillium 4500 has room for two golf cart batteries and 33.5 lbs of propane. I have a forklift propane bottle. I could fit a 43.5 lb tank, if I required that much propane.
Please explain the rational for not connecting a two batteries in parallel.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:17 PM   #15

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
It is not going to be a major problem to connect the batteries in parallel, as long as they are the same condition. They may be at different charges at time of connection. This will result in current flow, Maybe quite high current. Also, they may charge and discharge at different rates depending on their condition. If one battery is not holding a charge, it will drain the other battery as well.

I guess I just feel it is a less elegant solution. Totally subjective. I should have said that first.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:43 PM   #16

North Florida
Quote:
6 V golf cart batteries have the same foot print as a group 24 battery. They are however taller. clip They both act like one big battery, and they fit where two group 24 batteries would go.

I just got some numbers off the Trojan battery website and it is interesting. Their 6V 225 AH T-105 battery (GC2, traditional golf cart battery) is 10.3 X 7.1 X 11.1 inches and 62 pounds. A 12V group 24 85 (measly) AH is 10.92 X 6.6 X 9.24 and 47 pounds. So, if you can stand a half inch more width (assuming end to end configuration), a couple of inches in height and 30 more pounds tongue weight you can gain over 30% more AH capacity going with two 6V.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:07 PM   #17

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Golf cart 6 volt batteries are true deep cycle design, most commonly available 12 volt "deep cycle" batteries are not. The 12 volt batteries generally available in stores are designed more for dual use, start small marine engines with some deep cycle capabilities designed in.

That said I find multiple battery set ups a headache when I have had to deal with them. Seems like one or the other will develop some minor issue and then I dink around trying to figure out which of the two kids is being a problem child. Or which connection. Hmmm I sound sort of jaded by past experiences even to myself.

That said there are folks who really need the storage capacity, and have the means to fully charge it via solar or generator. For them I guess the additional weight and maintenance makes sense. Thinking of folks that use 12 volt compressor fridge or CPAP machine and want to boondock.

If there was an easy way to address charging a dual independent system that would be my preference. As long as one of these buggers is working right I have power. Avoid the dependency between both batteries of either parallel and series hookup.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:11 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
It is not going to be a major problem to connect the batteries in parallel, as long as they are the same condition. They may be at different charges at time of connection. This will result in current flow, Maybe quite high current. Also, they may charge and discharge at different rates depending on their condition. If one battery is not holding a charge, it will drain the other battery as well.

I guess I just feel it is a less elegant solution. Totally subjective. I should have said that first.
Actually batteries in parallel are just fine. There might one exception if one battery gets a shorted cell it can drag both down.
You can connect batteries of different sized together and the rate of discharge will be the same in percentage of charge. It's a lot more fuss and bother to put switches in than just connect them in parallel.

Sometimes a water comparison is used when talking about electricity. In this case imagine two containers of water one half the size of the other connected at the 50% point. It doesn't matter which container you draw the water from. When you draw water out of one container the other follows until you get to the 50% point. I used the 50% point because you should never draw a battery below that point.

When making the first connection it's a good idea for them to both be fully charged, however they don't have to, they'll equalize soon.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:36 PM   #19

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
6 volt batteries in Bigfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
Here is my 2001 Bigfoot 21RB with two six volt batteries. We had to make a new bracket for batteries. Unable to remove propane tanks for filling. No one has had trouble filling them.
Chuck
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0218.jpg  
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:43 PM   #20

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Scamp 16 with 2 golf cart batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I am changing from two propane bottles and one (12V) battery to one propane and two (6V) batteries. There will some weight increase but not much, and I tow with a 1/2 ton pickup so it will not hurt. The batteries will sit behind the single propane and the new set up is actually cleaner looking as the old dual propane hung over each side of the tongue.
Hi Tim,
Wish I checked out your Scamp at Green Eggs and Ham. I'm looking at adding two GC2 6V batteries to replace my group 29 12V battery on our 16' Scamp, but the space seems tight to be able to get them both within the frame width of the current location. Did you finalize your installation, and if so, do you have any photos? Did you end up switching to the single tank?
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot