Swivel hitch - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-22-2008, 10:37 PM   #1

Trailer: 1979 Trillium
Ok so we bought a remodeled '79 Trillium and love it!!! It is the original off white color and it has a redone interior.

Question though: Has anyone replaced the original hitch on it? If so with what? We were thinking of putting a swivel hitch on it, but one with a wheel. Any thoughts on that?

The original one works, but has a part of the lever broken and you need to use a screwdriver to push the pin back then switch it into the up or down position, since it is a bit rusty.

We just bought also a class b rv cover which fits it perfectly.

Thanks, let me know that you think.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:44 PM   #2

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
my first little tent trailer had a swivel hitch on t. The owner towed it wth a Goldwing.

He changed it out for a straight one before I towed it away.

What would the advantage be of having one with a car as a tug? I can see it with a bike, but am having trouble picturing it with a car.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:27 PM   #3

We were thinking it would be easier to move around to and from certain areas, like the garage. We haven't tried putting it in the garage yet, but we had one built a few years ago and had them build the height up for a tall vehicle, thinking ahead. or currently we have it in the driveway to the side, it would just assist us when we are trying to move it out from the side onto the vehicle and as we grow older it would help our muscles out!
Old 10-23-2008, 07:26 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Marie,
I believe you have your terms mixed up.
A hitch is the part that connects to the car.
A jack is what you raise the tongue of the trailer up with.

My personal thoughts are that the jack in the center is better because the swivel jack twist the frame. I have both kinds on different trailers.

BTW You can buy a trailer dolly that has a hitch ball on it and move your trailer even if the jack does not have a wheel.

Hope I didn't confuse you to much. )

Bill K

Quote:
We were thinking it would be easier to move around to and from certain areas, like the garage. We haven't tried putting it in the garage yet, but we had one built a few years ago and had them build the height up for a tall vehicle, thinking ahead. or currently we have it in the driveway to the side, it would just assist us when we are trying to move it out from the side onto the vehicle and as we grow older it would help our muscles out!
Old 10-23-2008, 10:15 AM   #5

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I agree with Bills response, the Boler Strowler would be a better choice for shuffeling(sp?) the trailer around. If you are talking about the piece that slips overtop the ball on the trailer hitch, I'm told that (up here in Canada any way) Canadians aren't using the y shaped mount in the traditional 1 7/8" size, for what ever reason... This MAY also be a provincial issue as well!!

IMHO: any broken/worn parts that are/could be safety related should be addressed ASAP!!!
Old 10-23-2008, 11:40 AM   #6

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Doug,

When I was ordering my aluminum utility trailer I asked about hitch sizes. They told me that the general rule of thumb they now use it 2" on trailers without brakes, 2" 5/16 on trailers with electric brakes. The 1" 7/8 size is not used more because of confusion -people using wrong ball size and having trailer dismounts. I will be replacing my 1" 7/8 hitch with the 2" 5/16 just for simplicity sake.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:26 PM   #7

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Actually, this is a Swivel Hitch (Yes, it's the part we mostly refer to as the coupler, but they have been called swivel hitches for as long as I can remember.. right or wrong)

Click image for larger version

Name:	swivelsafeinstalled7.04.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	16413

They turn a full rotation to compensate for the lean of a motorcycle.

BUT.. As Bill suggests .. I think Marie is actually referring to a Swivel JACK. YES.. replace it if it's wonky! I have seen my rig drop in front from a faulty jack.. it was slow motion terror!

Marie, I have put one on every trailer I owned. Mount it as close to the COUPLER as you can, and don't push it across the country.. you will be fine. No frame twisting if used correctly. You can push a few feet .. thats what it was designed for.

Now, don't let your neighbor walk it across the street to his house on it...

Old 10-23-2008, 07:33 PM   #8

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
....come to think of it I think I remember seeing a swivel type hitch years ago. The whole tongue swivelled from side to side but locked into place (redgid) after you coupled on to it and pulled ahead a little, locking it into place. I don't think it caught on but I could be miss taken (isn't the first time and sure won't be the last neither...) This is the hitch I thought 'we' were discussing here!!
Old 10-27-2008, 01:20 AM   #9

Hey everyone thanks for all the replies! Yes I guess it would be a swivel jack. The old jack is fine and in good shape(no rust) it is just the part (handle) you pull back to let the jack swivel up into place when you are going to tow it or down when you are unhitching and to level the camper. Well we think we might be able to just replace the handle. Although we would still like to check out a swivel jack.

I have attached some pics of the new/used Trillium we bought. We have also thought of painting it, maybe?!

Thanks, Marie

Attached Images