Table - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #1

Name: Michele
Trailer: Currently shopping
New Brunswick
Table

Hmmmm not sure what to do....

A previous owner glassed over the holes where table base screws into floor.

Table as is is a wonky disaster.

Any suggestions on how to design a table that isn't bolted to the floor.

Thanks!!!

Michele :-)
Michele1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Just off the top of my head. Use a folding table leg, kind of. Dispense with the leg and use the folding part to support the table.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
You could purchase the hardware necessary from Scamp to duplicate their design, but I like the easier folding table idea better.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele1966 View Post
Hmmmm not sure what to do....

A previous owner glassed over the holes where table base screws into floor.

Table as is is a wonky disaster.

Any suggestions on how to design a table that isn't bolted to the floor.

Thanks!!!

Michele :-)
It is not clear what your problem is without pictures but pedestal tables work very well and still allow for taking them up and down...
Attached Thumbnails
scamp pictures 020.jpg   BURRO 17WB 001.jpg  

n_aCA0ZVLIL.jpg   trillium unfinished 018.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #5

New Brunswick
My problem is the base of the table is not attached to the floor anymore. Where it was attached/bolted has been fiberglassed over.

They attached the base to a piece of plywood that sits on the floor but the floor is rounded and the plywood is straight and they used shims to try and balance it but it's just a wonky mess my kids will destroy in no time, probably sustaining injuries in the process lol

The table with the folding legs require the table be hinged to the wall correct? How would the table be unhinged quickly to put it in the bed position?
Old 06-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Take the base and screw it back to the floor. Looks like you may have a Uhaul camper?? If so the original table base extended into a hole in the floor, I just removed ours but it is not useable. Question is why did the previous owner make up the disaster base that you now have, floor rot maybe. If there is a floor problem I would correct that issue and install a new table base that sets flat on the floor, as they are available as is new table posts.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #7

New Brunswick
Not sure of the reason but she's sealed now.

Do I want to be drilling holes in the floor of my camper?
Old 06-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #8

New York
It probably had holes drilled there before?? If you do drill holes, don't drill all the way through the floor, only go about 3/4 of the way, that will prevent water getting up into the floor. What I do, and just did a couple days ago with a counter top extension, is figure out how deep I want to go, cut a piece of plastic or copper tubing, or a piece of steel brake line is what I just used, slip it over the drill bit leaving the length exposed of the depth of the hole I want to make. You could do the same with tape on the bit.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #9

Name: J
Trailer: NonFiberglass
Delaware
Quote:
Not sure of the reason but she's sealed now.

Do I want to be drilling holes in the floor of my camper?

If you do you might wish to check on what is under the area first ......

Cypherian
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:39 AM   #10

New Brunswick
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
It probably had holes drilled there before?? If you do drill holes, don't drill all the way through the floor, only go about 3/4 of the way, that will prevent water getting up into the floor. What I do, and just did a couple days ago with a counter top extension, is figure out how deep I want to go, cut a piece of plastic or copper tubing, or a piece of steel brake line is what I just used, slip it over the drill bit leaving the length exposed of the depth of the hole I want to make. You could do the same with tape on the bit.
So no bolt coming out the other end. Will that keep it steady with use?
Old 06-26-2013, 05:25 AM   #11

New York
Quote:
So no bolt coming out the other end. Will that keep it steady with use?
If the floor is solid and you use some good size screws. And kids aren't climbing on the table! Now you got me thinking that this may be the reason Uhaul used the floor mount that the center was recessed into the floor, for extra strength. If you did have to drill right through, as previously mentioned check underneath first, use some large washers underneath, and use some kind of sealer to prevent water intrusion. Still not sure what you have for a trailer, but our Uhaul has, and I assume many others do too, bolts through the floor to hold the body to the frame. And those bolts on ours, and others I know of, were almost rusted away where they passed through the plywood floor.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:29 AM   #12

New Brunswick
I hope they don't climb ON the table but they do fight over the table often lol it's a love hate thing that I hope ends soon (but has lasted since the youngest was born) <sigh>

It's a Uhaul and I can see the bolt holes through the clear glass.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:53 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Michele, I see your U-Haul pic as your avatar. Now you need to change your profile to indicate the year/length/brand of your trailer. That helps us help you. Make the change in User CP.

I'd drill holes and mount the trailer the same way it came from the factory. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:00 AM   #14

New York
I'm not a big fan of the single pedestal tables, but in some cases it's the easiest or necessary solution. We don't use the table in our Uhaul, the table is removed, plywood in it's place that stays down as a bed all the time. Considering what I said about the body bolts, I still wouldn't hesitate to bolt through the floor if necessary. The previous owners table base job is cause for wonder as to why he did that. Maybe wanted to move the table around?? And resulted in a poor solution to that idea. I'd screw or bolt that base back to the floor and not worry about it, but I'll bet it's not the original Uhaul table base, but so what.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:03 AM   #15

New Brunswick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Michele, I see your U-Haul pic as your avatar. Now you need to change your profile to indicate the year/length/brand of your trailer. That helps us help you. Make the change in User CP.

I'd drill holes and mount the trailer the same way it came from the factory. YMMV
Where do I find CP settings on my iPhone? I've been looking...
Old 06-26-2013, 06:07 AM   #16

New York
Donna; note that Uhaul [ours anyway] used a recessed table mount that sat in a 2" or so hole in the floor. Apparently Michele doesn't have that base so can't go back to exact original, but I agree just screw or bolt down what she has. On our Uhaul a previous owner had installed another table base forward of the original, so maybe the factory location was not comfortable. Don't know because we never had the table set up. Michele should determine what location works for her before screwing down the base.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:29 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I used a very ingenious folding table leg system, they are expensive but work extremely well. Some cool features is that I can fold the table with one hand and you can take the table outside.
Here is a link to my thread about them, scroll down to read more details in the thread.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post363410

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #18

New Brunswick
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Looked under the camper and decided it's an end of season job.

Going to get an outdoor camp table for under shelter. There's a little drop down table attached to storage cupboard so if need be, can eat in trailer.

The bed will remain in position.

Just getting bare minimum done so we can enjoy the season. Come far we'll attached that table back to the floor.

Happy camping!
Old 06-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Good for you Michele, you figured out what works for you! My question, didn't U-haul use a standard base on the floor... something that was used in different brands of trailers? I know it wasn't the usual "over turned" bowl, but it's doubtful U-Haul manufactured the part.

Anyone have a good picture? We could probably help Michele track down a similar part when she's ready to move forward.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #20

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Good for you Michele, you figured out what works for you! My question, didn't U-haul use a standard base on the floor... something that was used in different brands of trailers? I know it wasn't the usual "over turned" bowl, but it's doubtful U-Haul manufactured the part.

Anyone have a good picture? We could probably help Michele track down a similar part when she's ready to move forward.
The original UHaul part was this one: RV camper Trailer Recessed Pedestal Table Leg Base | eBay