Table and Hinge - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-05-2007, 09:23 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1300 1979
Hi all,

I have four "hinge marks" where I am guessing the table was attached to the Boler wall.

I believe, (but not positive) that it was a special hinge that allowed the table to move down to form the bed and up to make the table again?

If anyone had a picture, and knew where to get the hinge, or what it was called, or any info, I would be grateful.

My Boler project seems to be missing the table, hinge, and seats LOL and I would like to build it back up.

Thanks

Graeme

Old 07-08-2007, 05:08 AM   #2

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
Quote:
Hi all,

I have four "hinge marks" where I am guessing the table was attached to the Boler wall.

I believe, (but not positive) that it was a special hinge that allowed the table to move down to form the bed and up to make the table again?

If anyone had a picture, and knew where to get the hinge, or what it was called, or any info, I would be grateful.

My Boler project seems to be missing the table, hinge, and seats LOL and I would like to build it back up.

Thanks

Graeme
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Graeme, In my Boler Mfg. 1979 the table has a wierd type of hinge system that has just three anchor points on the Boler wall, though the lower one is a long, about 8 inchs.
The top two anchor points are used only when it is used as a table and these are just slots that hold the table tight against the wall.
On the table itself is the hinge device which is a "U" shaped swinging bar, the legs of the "U" attached to the table, that goes into this lower, longer hinge, and the bar will pivot in this wall hinge by swinging the table out and down or out and up.
I will take some Picts today and Post tomorrow and maybe this will help.
Gerry the canoebuilder

Old 07-08-2007, 08:13 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1700SGH (Stage II twoftitis)
Quote:

It's basically what Gerry described; and I can also take pictures but I recommend not trying to replace the existing setup... It's used in all sorts of RV's so you should be able to pickup the pieces at an RV dealer... But the brackets are all soft mild steel and deform easily.. Once deformed, the table will wobble side to side, and if you lean on a corner, the other corner will pop out, etc... I made the mistake of reinstalling ours and using it once and I can confirm it's junk... My TODO list has an item to design a better bracket but sadly, I've not been able to come up with any good ideas... I had a similar problem in our old 1300 where the bracket is a long channel and a smaller but mating channel on the table...

It looks like Coast RV has those same 2 systems:

#40354 - the old 1300 style channel support.
#41388 - the style our 1700's use.

Doesn't look like the RV industry has "solved" this problem.

My only thought so far is to replace the single table leg with a collapsible leg from a community-hall type table... That doesn't address the bracket problem though.

PS: reading this thread I think Frederick has the right idea... Screw the brackets... When travelling, put the table in 'bed position' so you can put your coolers or what have you under it, then when you arrive, put the leg under the table, and you're good to go. Take it outside if you want to eat outside...
Old 07-08-2007, 11:05 AM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
I just got rid of all that in my Scamp and replaced it with two of the aluminum stanchions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Table.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	8745

Very inexpensive(less than $20 for two sets) and looks 1000 times better. Eliminates a ton of the wobble and easier to take up and down. The missus doesn't have to contend with all that hardware on the wall while sleeping now as well.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:48 PM   #5

Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Washington
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

My original Scamp one is in the loft above my shop..... Does that give you an idea of what I think of it?? Also, the old age "spread" of my Scamp precluded using the table as a bed base anyway--(fell thru!! ) Larry
Old 07-08-2007, 04:30 PM   #6

Arizona
Larry,

We replaced the table with 3/4 Birch ply as well. (shown in pic)
The missus and I have roadtested the new table and can certify it's ability to be used as a bed base.

After hearing your story, I'm glad we didn't keep the original table.....

Hope you weren't hurt when you went through.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:40 PM   #7

Quote:
I just got rid of all that in my Scamp and replaced it with two of the aluminum stanchions.

Attachment 8745

Very inexpensive(less than $20 for two sets) and looks 1000 times better. Eliminates a ton of the wobble and easier to take up and down. The missus doesn't have to contend with all that hardware on the wall while sleeping now as well.
Yeah. That also looks like the ticket. I wonder about getting the flush mount post holes so you can still slide stuff under the table area while travelling. Cutting a circle in the floor isn't that big a deal I don't think.

The birch ply looks awesome btw. how did you finish the edges?
Old 07-08-2007, 07:25 PM   #8

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
[quote]
Hi all,

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I miss spoke saying it had a long clip on the wall but 2 mounting points for the "U" bracket.
The 2 higher spots are for brackets that are mounted and can be seen on the table.
The table itself has a hinged leg in the front center, I should have taken picture but I didn't and the U bracket swings on the edge of table either in the up position or the down as in photo.
Gerry the canoebuilder.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010003.JPG  
Old 07-08-2007, 07:38 PM   #9

Name: Vic
Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Alberta
Registry
Hi:

I bought these brackets at Lee Valley:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.asp...,41319&ap=1

They are intended for 2" x 4" construction, but have many other applications, as you can see below.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/21792...052473095hrjhBL
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/21874...052473095HCUKro

I installed them in the front wall and on the table, complete with a metal stanchion as shown below.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/26573...052473095EtwLtC

Under the paneling, the front has half inch plywood support frame, fibreglassed in and screwed from the outside.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/24859...052473095gtXuMK
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/24854...052473095WxuInl
Old 07-08-2007, 07:59 PM   #10

Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Washington
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
Larry,

We replaced the table with 3/4 Birch ply as well. (shown in pic)
The missus and I have roadtested the new table and can certify it's ability to be used as a bed base.

After hearing your story, I'm glad we didn't keep the original table.....

Hope you weren't hurt when you went through.
Greg- - - naaw - it was on her side (I sleep against the back wall) Bur, Carrie came thru unscathed Larry
Old 07-08-2007, 08:23 PM   #11

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
The one in my Scamp is identical to the picture Gerry provided. And I like it. It's easy to use. I prefer having as much of the floor under the table available for my feet. Have you ever been in a restaurant booth where you fought for floor space for your feet? Tables with multiple legs and those upturned "bowls" for leg supports remind me of that problem. It's easier to slide stuff under the table too, if there's nothing in the way. When my table is down, in bed mode, the table leg is already out of the way (hinged up under the table) which leaves the entire floor area under the table for sliding totes, etc. out of the way.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:51 PM   #12

Quote:
I bought these brackets at Lee Valley:
Hey Victor; that looks great...

Did you build the 'butcher block' table or buy that somewhere too?
Old 07-09-2007, 08:13 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler 1300 1979
Can't thanks you guys (girls) enough for your pictures and posts. It has defiantly made me not want to re-do the old hinge.

Taking the time to post and take pictures is a great motivator and truly appreciated. I only have 999 more questions to go.....

I like the double table leg idea, it looks great, only issue is I am 6'3, 230 lol and leg room is always a problem. ( I don't really fit on the bed either, the family can stay in the Boler I bought a tent

I think that I might have to stop at Lee Valley in Ottawa and check out the hinges. Besides I get an excuse to wander around the store....

I will post some updated pictures, I am just about ready to paint, then start laying the new floor.

I am amazed at how fast I became a Boler addict.... Thank Goodness I found a support group lol

Graeme
Old 07-09-2007, 10:48 PM   #14

Arizona
Wow, Graeme you will probably need to eat outside as well.
On my table I made angle cuts on the end to allow more room to slide in and out of the dinette seats, but don't know that it would help at 6'3.

Thanks Herb, birch ply is a simple 45degree cut and then heavy sanding. All the new cabinets in the trailer match the table.

Donna-surprisingly there is more legroom under the table then with the original setup with all those metal things coming out of the wall. Shocked me too. Doesn't cause an issue with putting stuff underneath when it's down at least for us. Actually acts as a separation for his junk, her junk at night....

Larry- glad to hear Carrie survived the break thru.

Victor- I like those brackets you found... Awesome table setup.