table mounted to wall - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2014, 07:47 AM   #1

Name: Tonnie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
table mounted to wall

I have a 1979 13" Scamp. I'm changing out the front sofa/bunks into a dinette.

Can I mount a small drop leaf table to the front wall of the Scamp? Is the fiberglass going to support the weight of the table?

The one I'm looking at is from Ikea. It mounts on the wall and lies flat (Not literally. It actually comes out about three inches.) against the wall when not in use. When in use, it swings up and is supported by a swing out brace.

If it will be ok to mount it there, should I use rivets, screws or glue, or a combination?

Thanks,
tonnie
Tonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:11 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
The rear scamp table has a piece of plywood glassed into the wall for support. For the front of a Scamp I would attach a support wall to the upper floor ledge and run it up and attach it to the upper goucho wall support. The glass shell is flimsy and you don't have any holes in the shell since everything will be attached inside. You can also end up with a fairly vertical attaching surface.
Eddie
I had thought of adapting a table like the attached would be neat for a front dinette mod.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ll-table/69220
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:59 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
In most front dinette set ups the front table is used to bridge the space between the seats to make a single bed. For dinette use a pedestal is used. I made a base for mine rather than screwing into the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
image-653266193.jpg  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:48 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
Table

I lost my table for a while but it's back. In an effort to replace it I bought the end pieces and tube [as shown in the last picture]. I also bought a complete table, used [but with serviceable hardware] that mounts with a piano hinge, slides open for an extra leaf and folds down when not in use.
I will be in the Santa Rosa Beach area in December. If any of this gear is of use to you, send me a PM.
I will fwd a picture later.
Scouter Dave.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #5

Florida
Great idea. I like having the additional storage available.

Thanks Eddie!
Old 11-15-2014, 12:19 PM   #6

Florida
Thanks P.,

I like your idea and I hadn't thought of setting it up as an additional bed. I would like something that drops down out of the way so I can use that center space for our portapotti when we don't need a table.

Thanks,
tonnie
Old 11-15-2014, 01:16 PM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonnie
Thanks P.,

I like your idea and I hadn't thought of setting it up as an additional bed. I would like something that drops down out of the way so I can use that center space for our portapotti when we don't need a table.

Thanks,
tonnie
Take a yard stick and check the curvature of the front of your scamp. Both a hinge and a wall mount bracket require a strait surface.

Name:   image-3151885344.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  19.0 KB

A table wall mount bracket

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2599864518.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	78596

We wanted the space too. The bungie cord solution. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:09 PM   #8

Florida
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. After looking at the one on the camping world site sent to me by Eddie, I've designed my own. Unless there is some design flaw I haven't thought of, it is essentially a 6" deep set of shelves which go to the floor in the lower area of the front section. It will span the entire width of the lower opening between the bench supports. I hope it can be screwed into the sides of those bench supports. The table will be hinged from the second shelf (leaving an open shelf for whatever (books!) and a ledge (top of bookshelf). The table will have a swing down pole to support it when it is open. When the table is not in use, it will obscure the front of the shelving unit except the top open shelf. When it is up and in use, the interior storage shelves can be seen and accessed.

Does anyone have a suggestion or see a problem with my design? I want the unit to be stabilized from the floor.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:22 AM   #9

Newfoundland & Labrador
Table pictures

I was unable to send these via PM.
I will remove the hardware and keep it for possible future use. The table top will be discarded.

Sorry... check out the next msg.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:33 AM   #10

Newfoundland & Labrador
Table pictures

Sometimes it works for me.... sometimes it doesn't.....
So, here they are.... SD
Attached Thumbnails
GEDC0002.jpg   GEDC0004.jpg  

Old 11-17-2014, 09:52 AM   #11

Name: Francois
British Columbia
Registry
great idea, Tonnie....

trying to get a little extra usable space out of a small space to begin with is a worthwhile and fun little "puzzle" to play with, ain't it?

I've worked on/with fold down/up tables in boats....and for the sake of giving you even more options (always a good thing) I offer the following:

I like the shelves on the vertical, stationary, part of your project....except for the top shelf, they will only be accessible when the table is up...and then not very easily. If it was me I would consider dropping the hinge part of the idea and replacing it with a pocket on the floor that would keep the bottom of the table in place while travelling in the down position....and the top would be held in place by a keeper of some sort, like a window latch of bungy....

this would involve lifting the table up and dropping onto dowels/keepers of some sort when you set it up...but it is a small table... The result would be that you could access the stuff on the lower shelves my merely opening the latch/bungy and tilting the table away from the vertical to grab something on the shelves behind it.

it is hard to paint a picture with words.. I hope I made sense....

I know what you mean by wanting to use the space where the table is....I used my table to make a large bed at the rear of my trailer....happy with the results, by accident I found that I really enjoyed the new area where the table was when the bed was made up...so I devised a way of storing my table upright against the forward bulkhead even when the rear bed was not in use/set up...

I really like the extra space while travelling, working on the inside of the trailer and while loading/unloading it before/after a trip....

good luck with your project...look forward to seeing it when it's done....
Attached Thumbnails
adoneeec.jpg   adonejb.jpg  

adonejbb.jpg   adonejbbb.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:50 PM   #12

Florida
Thanks Scouter Dave and Francois!
Old 11-17-2014, 03:03 PM   #13

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Trillium has an interesting way of mounting the table on their front dinette. They put an interior piece of fibreglass that the table mounts to, so that there are no new holes in the fibreglass shell. The fibreglass mounts to the window frame.

I believe it uses a mounting rail like in post #7.
Attached Thumbnails
Clipboard01.jpg  
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote