table size? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2008, 10:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Thumbs up

Can anyone tell me what size table should be in this camper based on the photos?? It appears the table may be missing, and if we go get this one, we will want to stay in it and will need to bring a peice of wood with us to compensate. I am guessing it looks to be about a 3x5ft space but I am just guessing. Can anyone help me figure this out?
Attached Thumbnails
0830_1.JPG   29fb_1.JPG  

April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:41 PM   #2

by the way, while I am at it, does anyone know if I will need some kind of support for the middle of the board that we would bring with us, and how tall it should be?
Old 09-18-2008, 11:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
by the way, while I am at it, does anyone know if I will need some kind of support for the middle of the board that we would bring with us, and how tall it should be?
Hmmmm Support? Only if you cut it square--- If that is like my Scamp, it will be wider at the end towards the front. (it's called "Middle Age" spread) And then you will definately need a support.... (the voice of experience speaks here) There was a funny looking TEE shaped thingy under the bed when we picked it up--- discovered its use the first nite. Here is what I did to make the bed (It is permanently made up- and table is in storage). Used 3/4" plywood-- plenty strong and no need of a support. Larry
Attached Thumbnails
Oct_5_8_2007_002__Small_.jpg   Oct_5_8_2007_005__Small_.jpg  

Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Hi April . . . assuming that's a Scamp trailer, the table width is 30" and most likely about 44" long, and you don't need a center support. I think Boler tables are the same width, but you need not take my word on the size. If you do buy the trailer and it doesn't have a table to make a bed with you can drop by a Lowes, Home Depot or other lumber center and ask them to cut a 5/8" thick "MDF" (which is heavy but never splinters) or "A/D" plywood (which weighs much less and is easier to move around, but may have splinters) platform for you. All you'd have to do is measure the space, select a 4x4 foot or 4x8 foot MDF or plywood sheet, and ask them to cut it for you. Later on you could do some final shaping, add some hardware and turn it into a true dinette table/sleeping surface.

Generally the stores will require you to buy full 4x8 sheets, so you may have to lump it and buy the whole sheet, but see if you can get a department manager willing to make two smaller 2x4 foot sheets (which they also sell) and sell you the remaining half-sheet at some reduced price.

Some quick-fix alternatives include 2 2x4 foot MDF or plywood sheets cut to 30" or a 12' long 12" wood board (not particle or MDF board) cut into four 30" shelf sections. These would be temporary solutions, but they'd get you home.

Good luck!
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 05:57 AM   #5

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
April,
When you get the trailer you will see that there is an indentation along the top edge of each of the fiberglass seat bases that the table fits into to make the base for the bed. The table will need to be the correct width to fit into that groove. I think the width will vary slightly from one camper to another. If it's cut to fit, you won't need any support underneath. Good luck!
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:53 AM   #6

Thanks for the info! Yes, this is supposed to be a scamp, we will be calling the owner today, and will ask about the table. I suspect that it would be in the photo if it were there, but could be wrong about that. I like the idea of getting a board cut after we pick it up, but we may not be able to find a hardware store in the area we are going to.. I guess I have a little research to do before we go down to pick it up. It is not a solid deal just yet, since we need a week of grace time before we can break free to go get it, but we plan to call them today to make sure they are willing to wait for us, so we will see!
Old 09-19-2008, 08:48 AM   #7

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
you can see the lip that the table rests on in the photo so getting the sheet cut at the store should a snap. they usually charge 50cent per cut so let them keep the mess at the store. sanding by hand will be easy too. I would get the sheet as thick as the ledge will allow. my Surfside is only a 1/2 inch so I had to re-inforce the underside of the table. You may also think about those folding banquet table legs. they can be cut down to the needed height and also work if the table is ever needed outside. just my 2 cents.

Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:47 PM   #8

Problem solved, she has the table, it just was not in the photo.