Tail light help..... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2011, 07:16 PM   #1

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Tail light help.....

The Trillium I'm working on now has a third light in the back right below the back window, I'm installing all new LED lights so I bought a 15" bar LED light to go in that spot..The one I bought has 3 wires Ground(white),Running light(black) and Brake light(red)..Was wondering how to wire the brake light part...the wires coming into the trailer are Ground(white) Tail lights(brown) Right Turn/Stop (green) Left Turn/Stop (yellow) so there really isn't a Brake light wire only..I first thought I could run both the green and yellow wires to the red one but if your not braking the light will blink from the turn signal ( not what I want)..I think I'm going to have to buy a different light one that has 4 wires instead of the three but really didn't want to do that...Any suggestions?????????????
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
The Trillium I'm working on now has a third light in the back right below the back window, I'm installing all new LED lights so I bought a 15" bar LED light to go in that spot..The one I bought has 3 wires Ground(white),Running light(black) and Brake light(red)..Was wondering how to wire the brake light part...the wires coming into the trailer are Ground(white) Tail lights(brown) Right Turn/Stop (green) Left Turn/Stop (yellow) so there really isn't a Brake light wire only..I first thought I could run both the green and yellow wires to the red one but if your not braking the light will blink from the turn signal ( not what I want)..I think I'm going to have to buy a different light one that has 4 wires instead of the three but really didn't want to do that...Any suggestions?????????????
If you bought another light , you could install one up each side of the window and wire each one to it's respective turn signal. then it would work just like the taillights, only up high, giving tailights, turnsignals and brakelights in a high visibility location , visble to close following trucks.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
If you bought another light , you could install one up each side of the window and wire each one to it's respective turn signal. then it would work just like the taillights, only up high, giving tailights, turnsignals and brakelights in a high visibility location , visble to close following trucks.

Don't want to drill anymore holes, trying to cover the one in the middle now and if I put one on each side of the window I'll be left with a hole in the middle...
Old 08-31-2011, 11:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Just a suggestion. Rather than having an unplugged hole in the middle, consider perhaps buying 3 lights in total. One on each side of the window-brakes/turn signals, and one in the middle hooked up as just a normal running light, and maybe also brake light as well?
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Just a suggestion. Rather than having an unplugged hole in the middle, consider perhaps buying 3 lights in total. One on each side of the window-brakes/turn signals, and one in the middle hooked up as just a normal running light, and maybe also brake light as well?

That sounds like a little toooo much, it would look like it belonged in the "RED LIGHT DISTRICT" if you know what I mean.. and if I could get the middle "one" to work as a brake light I wouldn't need to 2 on the sides.......
Old 08-31-2011, 11:57 AM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Yeah, I see what you mean... it probably would be a bit much. Would something like this help?
Link: How To Install A Trailer Light Taillight Converter In Your Towing Vehicle
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
You MUST have a 3rd brake light control box to make it work.

Name:   brakea.ajpg.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  10.3 KB

Click image for larger version

Name:	camping_190a.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	39544 Old photo I have LED tail lights now.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:53 PM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Did you try using just one of the green or yellow wires, not both? Just a thought. On my second set of lights over the operating lights (they are just tail lights and not stop and turn) you can see where the yellow or green wire is not being used. I often thought of using them to see if they would activate my second set of lights.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
You MUST have a 3rd brake light control box to make it work.
Attachment 39543

Attachment 39544 Old photo I have LED tail lights now.

Can you tell where I might find one of those boxes, I did a search on 3rd brake light control box, but couldn't find it..THANKS RANDY
Old 08-31-2011, 02:04 PM   #10

Registry
I had a new old stock one in my garage when I put mine on. You could look on ebay. You would have to buy the light and box together.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:26 PM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Can you tell where I might find one of those boxes?
If you already have the Light, then this is what you need:
Pacer Performance LOGIC CIRCUIT - JCWhitney
Old 08-31-2011, 03:37 PM   #12

Registry
Frederick L. Simson is right, that will work perfect.Click image for larger version

Name:	I_126699_CL_1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	39545
Old 08-31-2011, 07:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Frederick L. Simson is right, that will work perfect.Attachment 39545

That's it guys thanks sooooo............... much I just ordered it....THANKS AGAIN RANDY
Old 08-31-2011, 08:09 PM   #14

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Don't want to drill anymore holes, trying to cover the one in the middle now and if I put one on each side of the window I'll be left with a hole in the middle...
Great place for the license plate & light!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light