Tail light help..... - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-30-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Name: Randy
Trailer: (4) Trillium 4500, (4) Trillium 1300, (1) Scamp,(1) Burro 16'
Ardmore, Alabama
Posts: 821
Tail light help.....

The Trillium I'm working on now has a third light in the back right below the back window, I'm installing all new LED lights so I bought a 15" bar LED light to go in that spot..The one I bought has 3 wires Ground(white),Running light(black) and Brake light(red)..Was wondering how to wire the brake light part...the wires coming into the trailer are Ground(white) Tail lights(brown) Right Turn/Stop (green) Left Turn/Stop (yellow) so there really isn't a Brake light wire only..I first thought I could run both the green and yellow wires to the red one but if your not braking the light will blink from the turn signal ( not what I want)..I think I'm going to have to buy a different light one that has 4 wires instead of the three but really didn't want to do that...Any suggestions?????????????
__________________

__________________
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,049
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
The Trillium I'm working on now has a third light in the back right below the back window, I'm installing all new LED lights so I bought a 15" bar LED light to go in that spot..The one I bought has 3 wires Ground(white),Running light(black) and Brake light(red)..Was wondering how to wire the brake light part...the wires coming into the trailer are Ground(white) Tail lights(brown) Right Turn/Stop (green) Left Turn/Stop (yellow) so there really isn't a Brake light wire only..I first thought I could run both the green and yellow wires to the red one but if your not braking the light will blink from the turn signal ( not what I want)..I think I'm going to have to buy a different light one that has 4 wires instead of the three but really didn't want to do that...Any suggestions?????????????
If you bought another light , you could install one up each side of the window and wire each one to it's respective turn signal. then it would work just like the taillights, only up high, giving tailights, turnsignals and brakelights in a high visibility location , visble to close following trucks.
__________________

__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Name: Randy
Trailer: (4) Trillium 4500, (4) Trillium 1300, (1) Scamp,(1) Burro 16'
Ardmore, Alabama
Posts: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
If you bought another light , you could install one up each side of the window and wire each one to it's respective turn signal. then it would work just like the taillights, only up high, giving tailights, turnsignals and brakelights in a high visibility location , visble to close following trucks.

Don't want to drill anymore holes, trying to cover the one in the middle now and if I put one on each side of the window I'll be left with a hole in the middle...
__________________
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Posts: 1,047
Registry
Just a suggestion. Rather than having an unplugged hole in the middle, consider perhaps buying 3 lights in total. One on each side of the window-brakes/turn signals, and one in the middle hooked up as just a normal running light, and maybe also brake light as well?
__________________
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: Randy
Trailer: (4) Trillium 4500, (4) Trillium 1300, (1) Scamp,(1) Burro 16'
Ardmore, Alabama
Posts: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Just a suggestion. Rather than having an unplugged hole in the middle, consider perhaps buying 3 lights in total. One on each side of the window-brakes/turn signals, and one in the middle hooked up as just a normal running light, and maybe also brake light as well?


That sounds like a little toooo much, it would look like it belonged in the "RED LIGHT DISTRICT" if you know what I mean.. and if I could get the middle "one" to work as a brake light I wouldn't need to 2 on the sides.......
__________________
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:57 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Posts: 1,047
Registry
Yeah, I see what you mean... it probably would be a bit much. Would something like this help?
Link: How To Install A Trailer Light Taillight Converter In Your Towing Vehicle
__________________
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Kevin K's Avatar
 
Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Posts: 3,052
Registry
You MUST have a 3rd brake light control box to make it work.

Name:   brakea.ajpg.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  10.3 KB

Click image for larger version

Name:	camping_190a.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	39544 Old photo I have LED tail lights now.
__________________
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,398
Registry
Did you try using just one of the green or yellow wires, not both? Just a thought. On my second set of lights over the operating lights (they are just tail lights and not stop and turn) you can see where the yellow or green wire is not being used. I often thought of using them to see if they would activate my second set of lights.
__________________
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: Randy
Trailer: (4) Trillium 4500, (4) Trillium 1300, (1) Scamp,(1) Burro 16'
Ardmore, Alabama
Posts: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
You MUST have a 3rd brake light control box to make it work.
Attachment 39543

Attachment 39544 Old photo I have LED tail lights now.


Can you tell where I might find one of those boxes, I did a search on 3rd brake light control box, but couldn't find it..THANKS RANDY
__________________
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:04 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Kevin K's Avatar
 
Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Posts: 3,052
Registry
I had a new old stock one in my garage when I put mine on. You could look on ebay. You would have to buy the light and box together.
__________________
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:26 PM   #11
Moderator
 
Frederick L. Simson's Avatar
 
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 8,151
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
Can you tell where I might find one of those boxes?
If you already have the Light, then this is what you need:
Pacer Performance LOGIC CIRCUIT - JCWhitney
__________________
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:37 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Kevin K's Avatar
 
Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Posts: 3,052
Registry
Frederick L. Simson is right, that will work perfect.Click image for larger version

Name:	I_126699_CL_1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	39545
__________________
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:45 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Name: Randy
Trailer: (4) Trillium 4500, (4) Trillium 1300, (1) Scamp,(1) Burro 16'
Ardmore, Alabama
Posts: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Frederick L. Simson is right, that will work perfect.Attachment 39545

That's it guys thanks sooooo............... much I just ordered it....THANKS AGAIN RANDY
__________________
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:09 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,049
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
Don't want to drill anymore holes, trying to cover the one in the middle now and if I put one on each side of the window I'll be left with a hole in the middle...
Great place for the license plate & light!
__________________

__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
light


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need tail light help Vicki A. Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 5 03-06-2010 10:18 AM
Tail light replacement Wayne Dirkson Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 5 06-15-2009 08:43 AM
Another quest for a tail light... Gigi Classified Archives 0 05-02-2006 09:44 PM
need tail light Legacy Posts Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 8 04-12-2003 08:36 AM
Tail light lens help! General Chat 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.