Tail light lenses c10 u haul - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #43

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Great looking lenses Lanny!!

Lanny,
Very good to hear you are still attempting this.
Your initial attempt looks fantastic and I totally agree with Mrs. CindyL's comment about how good by comparison they look!!!

don with high hopes in the waiting line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWEBB View Post
Hey All, I haven't abandoned the project just had a lot of other stuff on my plate. My new web site is customvintagetrailerparts.com
Back to the issue at hand:
an update.
I have had a little time this week to get back to the lens.
I'm not thrilled with the result but I plan on giving it one more try in a couple weeks. There are a number of surface irregularities on the front and several places on the back which don't show here that are not shiny and you can see them from the front.
The glue I used isn't going to work so I will try another approach. It was just too messy and hard to control. I made a brace to hold the two pieces together but it's a #X1x to get it right.
Anyway just to let you know where it stands. I'll have more time come December. I'll either get it to work or know then if I can't. At this point I'm sure it will not meet my standards but it may be a reasonable option for some of you.

Lanny
Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #44

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I also would say they look very good. You have to consider that almost nobody is going to closely examine them for minor flaws once they are installed on the trailer. Are you still going to make an all red lens, as that is what I would like to have, or could two red sections be put together to make a solid red lens. I saw recently on the History Channel show American Restoration where they made a lens for a motor scooter by pouring material into a mold, but I don't recall the whole process. Anyway, if sometime in the future you make a lot of these Uhaul lenses, I would be interested in a set, but I'm in no hurry. Good luck, and thanks for attempting this project as it's a piece many of us Uhaul owners could use. I also just bought a set of the aluminum conversion adapters, but really don't want to use them except as a last resort. Bob

Old 11-18-2011, 08:58 AM   #45

Name: Lanny
Trailer: Wally Byam Holiday
Georgia
Hey Everybody, I'm really just not pleased with the end result and I always think well maybe if I started from scratch and did it all over again I could do it better but frankly, I just don't have it in me right now to do that.

I will attempt to see if I can take the molds I have and improve on the quality with a better glue of some sort and we can go from there.
I have a standing order for a set regardless of quality already. I might send those out when they are done and let him review the quality and report to the group.

Mary if you and Bob want to special order an all red lens I can do that IF I think the quality is good enough to make them at all.

AND Unfortunately, I will still have to get at least $50 per lens. I just don't feel honest charging that much for something that isn't top quality but these have really pushed my set up to the limit. for several reasons I can only cast half of the lens at one time.
That ties up my casting for a 48 hour period. Then the two halves have to be glued together which is dicey and needs to set for another 24 hours. The tooling and polishing of each lens takes about an hour and a half. I know no one wants to hear all this I just need folks to know why I'd have to charge so much.
But let me see how it goes whenI get time in December.
Sorry of all the whining.
Lanny
Old 11-18-2011, 10:25 AM   #46

Name: Marty
Trailer: 85 U-Haul CT
Ohio
lenses

Quote:
Hey Everybody, I'm really just not pleased with the end result and I always think well maybe if I started from scratch and did it all over again I could do it better but frankly, I just don't have it in me right now to do that.

I will attempt to see if I can take the molds I have and improve on the quality with a better glue of some sort and we can go from there.
I have a standing order for a set regardless of quality already. I might send those out when they are done and let him review the quality and report to the group.

Mary if you and Bob want to special order an all red lens I can do that IF I think the quality is good enough to make them at all.

AND Unfortunately, I will still have to get at least $50 per lens. I just don't feel honest charging that much for something that isn't top quality but these have really pushed my set up to the limit. for several reasons I can only cast half of the lens at one time.
That ties up my casting for a 48 hour period. Then the two halves have to be glued together which is dicey and needs to set for another 24 hours. The tooling and polishing of each lens takes about an hour and a half. I know no one wants to hear all this I just need folks to know why I'd have to charge so much.
Lanny
Lanny,

Myself, I'm glad that you are attempting to make new lenes for the UHaul. Most of us need lenses for one reason or another, and let's face it, they just aren't there to be had. Though I have a set of the add on precast light assemblies, I haven't used them because they change the integerty of the CT too much. There may be a day that I will have to. I would much rather have a set of lenses that match the originals. Some minor blimishes mean nothing when you don't have a good lens. So, if I'm not on your list for a set of lenses (all red ones are okay with me too), please add my name. I believe that the $50 per lens amount is more than a fair price to keep my CT original.

Thanks,
Marty D.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #47

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Gaskets?

My neighbor has a U Haul and while his lenses are OK, his gasket between the lens and the fixture are deteriorated. He wanted me to ask if there was a source for the gasket, or does he have to fabricate something?
Old 11-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #48

Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Lanny: I'm definately interested, but not til january at the earliest as we'll be traveling until end of december. To quote my mother " A man on a galloping horse wont know the difference", keep that in mind if you start getting too fussy about the quality. I completely understand the time issue, and appreciate your efforts. Bob
Old 11-18-2011, 05:09 PM   #49

New York
Frederick: I posted on another topic here about making a tail light gasket. I would obtain a piece of sheet rubber the right thickness and cut them out of it. The originals do have a molded lip on them which couldn't be duplicated, but a useable gasket could be cut from the right material. Many variations of sheet rubber can be obtained from McMaster Carr. Also check with Steele Rubber Products [www.steelerubber.com] as they make rubber parts for vintage cars. They may have something that could be used. To have the gaskets custom made to original specs would probably be cost prohibitive unless there is a large market for them. Now I'm wondering if these tail light assemblies were custom made only for the Uhaul trailers or were they an off the shelf item used on other units, and who made them, and do the molds still exist somewhere on a forgotten dusty shelf. More likely they were scrapped!! Bob
Old 11-18-2011, 05:22 PM   #50

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Thumbs up

Lanny, I too appreciate you taking on such a task and agree with the others, what you say lacks quality is probably much better than what I have now. Please keep me on your list.
Thanks

Quote:

Lanny
Old 11-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #51

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Lanny,
Please keep us on your list, too (Kevin A and CindyL). $50 per lens is fine with us since our lens are getting SOOOOO bad. We would like the 2-color lenses to match the originals. Thanks for working so hard on this. We are very appreciative and understand that sometimes the process just doesn't work out.

I also work on vintage VW cars/trucks, so many times I have to fabricate a part or make-do with something never intended for that repair. Things seem to work out, though never quickly.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:35 AM   #52

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
My neighbor has a U Haul and while his lenses are OK, his gasket between the lens and the fixture are deteriorated. He wanted me to ask if there was a source for the gasket, or does he have to fabricate something?
Why not just use Butyl?? I believe in the KISS process....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #53

Name: Randy
Trailer: (4) Trillium 4500, (4) Trillium 1300, (1) Scamp,(1) Burro 16'
Ardmore, Alabama
Has Larry given up or can we still buy lenses for a U-Haul.....Thought I would try to move this back to the top and find some answers...............
Old 05-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #54

Name: Lanny
Trailer: Wally Byam Holiday
Georgia
Hey Randy, No I juts had to back burner the project. I am going to have to start the process over again from scratch. I think I can pull it off but have a number of sure things in cue to get out of the way before I can tackle the U-Haul light. I will post something here when I get them done.
Thanks
Lanny
Old 05-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #55

Name: Randy
Trailer: (4) Trillium 4500, (4) Trillium 1300, (1) Scamp,(1) Burro 16'
Ardmore, Alabama
Quote:
Hey Randy, No I juts had to back burner the project. I am going to have to start the process over again from scratch. I think I can pull it off but have a number of sure things in cue to get out of the way before I can tackle the U-Haul light. I will post something here when I get them done.
Thanks
Lanny
Sounds great...If you can make them in just RED I'll take (2) sets I don't think the yellow part matters everyone of the Trilliums, Scamps, Burro. and Casita's are just one color......
Old 05-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #56

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
Sounds great...If you can make them in just RED I'll take (2) sets I don't think the yellow part matters everyone of the Trilliums, Scamps, Burro. and Casita's are just one color......

Lanny,
Hopefully, you will make red and amber as well. Many of us still have the operating amber turn signals. It would be a shame to lose that distintive
original feature that was UHaul. Of course, down the road when your back burner gets moved forward, you can just ask how many would want the red and amber (put me in for two sets of those as well as I have 2 UHauls!)

Tags
light