Tail light lenses c10 u haul - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #21

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think this is going to be great if it works out for everyone. I'm just curious about how you're going to make sure the lenses meet DOT specifications for tail lights. All the lenses I've seen are stamped D.O.T. and some number....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #22

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
My husband, Kevin, asked if these lights, being one color are legal.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:25 PM   #23

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
I may be interested in the tail light lenses, also.
Patty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #24

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Well I've never been stopped by the DOT taillight inspecter, but I guess there is a first time for everything.
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz77 View Post
Well I've never been stopped by the DOT taillight inspecter, but I guess there is a first time for everything.
Me either James. But some individuals need to get their trailers inspected in order to get it registered and titled. Lights are something that's looked at...
Old 08-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #26

Trailer: 16 ft Casita
Prices and Legality

OK I don't have answers to the legality question but most tail lights are red only so I would assume there wouldn't be a problem. The top would be the red tail light as most campers have then the bottom would be the turn and brake lights correct? I don't have a UHaul so I'm not clear on that.

The fellow I'm making them for agreed to a solid red one as making a two color (amber/Red) lens would be over the top price wise unless he won the lottery. But yes they will be pricey even in solid red.

I'll need to get at least a $100 a pair plus shipping. I know that's gonna kill the idea for most everybody but these are going to be REALLY difficult to cast.
I think now I shouldn't have posted anything until I made his set to assess the quality and feasibility of making more. I don't want to sell anything that's not top quality. My apologies to all.
Lanny
LWEBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:06 PM   #27

Ohio
Registry
I understand, all inspectors are different, mine had to be inspected but they did not go into that kind of detail, not even close. However, if the molds are right all the detail from the actual lenses should be transferred to the mold, even the DOT lettering.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #28

Ohio
Registry
That will probably take a spare set out of the equation for me, if I ever needed a pair in the future I may contact you, thanks
Old 08-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #29

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Even in the $100 range, we would be interested. (I'm CindyL's husband.) Our set is getting so brittle that they crack a bit more every time I have to take them off to clean or change/fiddle with a bulb. Also, they are becoming less transparent each year. We have LED lights in the housings, but they still aren't very bright because of the discoloration/scratches over the years.

The small marker lights mentioned by CindyL only cost a few dollars ($2.10 for the light assembly with cover and $.75 for just the plastic cover), but they don't say UHaul. I think her point was to get a cast made of the originals so that the replacements would still say UHaul.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #30

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
And speaking for myself, how much over the top expensive would a two-tone housing replacement cost?

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:42 AM   #31

costs

Hey
let me get the first ones done and see how it goes. The problem of the two color starts with the fact I would have to split apart the existing lens into two pieces.Clean and polish each piece, then make a mold of each cast a prototype, retool that then make molds of each prototype then cast each separately, one in amber then one in red. Then reassemble the two halves. It's a doable thing but I told my friend I was not willing to try to take the amber and red apart for fear of breaking them. He told me they were impossible to come by. I was pretty sure I could take the two halves apart without damaging them but just didn't want to take the chance I might break them.

I can't make replacement lenses with UHaul on them IF UHaul is making them. It's a copyright issue. I'm on the edge with making the dupes of the ones for my friend. Since UHaul isn't making them I'm not in competition or taking any money out of thier pocket so to speak. To be on the safe side I should probably rewmove UHaul from the ones I'm making but since they are no longer making them I don't think they would care. Famous last words.

lanny
Old 08-08-2011, 09:35 AM   #32

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWEBB View Post
Hey
let me get the first ones done and see how it goes. The problem of the two color starts with the fact I would have to split apart the existing lens into two pieces.Clean and polish each piece, then make a mold of each cast a prototype, retool that then make molds of each prototype then cast each separately, one in amber then one in red. Then reassemble the two halves. It's a doable thing but I told my friend I was not willing to try to take the amber and red apart for fear of breaking them. He told me they were impossible to come by. I was pretty sure I could take the two halves apart without damaging them but just didn't want to take the chance I might break them.

I can't make replacement lenses with UHaul on them IF UHaul is making them. It's a copyright issue. I'm on the edge with making the dupes of the ones for my friend. Since UHaul isn't making them I'm not in competition or taking any money out of thier pocket so to speak. To be on the safe side I should probably rewmove UHaul from the ones I'm making but since they are no longer making them I don't think they would care. Famous last words.

lanny
Lanny,
The hundred dollar range would be ok for me too. I'll follow your progress.
Patti
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:02 AM   #33

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Larry, I am interested also for my U-Haul CT-13.

I have already purchased the U-Haul 4" round conversions but have not installed them as I would really like to keep the original lights if possible.
The housings are in remarkably good shape with no socket corrosion and the lens have been replaced with a flexible plastic that has red lens repair
tape on the inside. They work but definitely need replacing. You can contact me at djtriceflt@comcast.net if you are able to produce them. Thanks and Good Luck! don
djtriceflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:38 AM   #34

Trailer: 84 U-Haul CT
Lanny,

Count me in for a set too. I have the metal adapter housing, but don't want to use them unless it is a last resort. Takes too much away from the UHaul design. I'm sure many people will be interested in your repros.

Marty d
Marty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #35

I hope Lanny didn't scared off with all the clamoring for lenses

Last Activity: 08-08-2011 08:30 AM

Come back Lanny!!
Old 09-16-2011, 04:26 AM   #36

Trailer: 84 U-Haul CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I hope Lanny didn't scared off with all the clamoring for lenses

Last Activity: 08-08-2011 08:30 AM

Come back Lanny!!

When something new comes along for the UHaul, it's like the finding of the Holy Grail ! I hope Lanny can make a go of doing the lens. I think the 100$ a set sounds reasonable when you have cracked lenses. And I would really would hate to use the metal adapters that I bought for "just in case". Now if I can find someone to make the rubber gaskets to fit, and install everything for me, I would have it made.

Marty D
Marty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:32 PM   #37

Don't give up on me on this. It's been a real character builder not to mention a black hole for materials.
As it turns out, while the mold would barely fit into the pressure pot, it didn't really fit the mold would warp slightly when the door was screwed down yielding a really messed up casting.

I built an oven of sorts with heat lamps and a heating pad as a base hoping the polymer casts would cure but they never did.

So the red lens was a bust. My solid casting materials, however, will set without heat or pressure so I cast a replica in solid polymer and retooled it. I modified a jewelers saw so I could cut the top from the bottom halves apart. Each piece then had to be tooled again slightly. I then made two separate molds one for each half.

The molds are still large but I Think! I can set the pot to hold each half with a little gerry rigging. If that's the case, I'll mold an amber side and them a red side then I have to build a jig to hold the two pieces together while the epoxy glue dries.

Doesn't sound all that complicated when I write it but it's been a real project.
The two part molds look good so I'm hopeful. End result, if it works will be the two colored lens vs the solid red.
I'm headed out of town again so it will be a week before I can get back on it. I have several other standing orders for other lenses and for a Bargman tail light fixture I need to get out of the way first but I'm working on it!!. I'll let you know. Wish me luck.
lanny
Old 09-29-2011, 01:04 PM   #38

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Thumbs up NOT giving up Lanny!

Thanks for your persistance. My/our hope is that you will be persistant and
be successful on this as I know many of us would sure like some
replacement lenses! I recently discovered my left rubber housing was badly cracked and I am attempting to repair it with 3M black adhesive silicone gasket maker. With amber lenses , I believe a tail light converter may be the answer to go from a 2 way to the 3 way that the UHaul requires for separate amber turn circuit not combined with the brake signal. I am in the process of trying that as I would like to have the amber lights working again as turn signals only, and if anyone knows about that I would sure appreciate the info. Good Luck Lanny and let us know!
don near the Keys in S. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWEBB View Post
Don't give up on me on this. It's been a real character builder not to mention a black hole for materials.
As it turns out, while the mold would barely fit into the pressure pot, it didn't really fit the mold would warp slightly when the door was screwed down yielding a really messed up casting.

I built an oven of sorts with heat lamps and a heating pad as a base hoping the polymer casts would cure but they never did.

So the red lens was a bust. My solid casting materials, however, will set without heat or pressure so I cast a replica in solid polymer and retooled it. I modified a jewelers saw so I could cut the top from the bottom halves apart. Each piece then had to be tooled again slightly. I then made two separate molds one for each half.

The molds are still large but I Think! I can set the pot to hold each half with a little gerry rigging. If that's the case, I'll mold an amber side and them a red side then I have to build a jig to hold the two pieces together while the epoxy glue dries.

Doesn't sound all that complicated when I write it but it's been a real project.
The two part molds look good so I'm hopeful. End result, if it works will be the two colored lens vs the solid red.
I'm headed out of town again so it will be a week before I can get back on it. I have several other standing orders for other lenses and for a Bargman tail light fixture I need to get out of the way first but I'm working on it!!. I'll let you know. Wish me luck.
lanny
djtriceflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #39

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Here's another CT owner that is 'looking ahead' to needing new taillight lenses in the future. You have a line forming, Lanny And if you want to post photos of your progress and the process used to make the lenses, it would be fascinating to see!!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #40

Hey All, I haven't abandoned the project just had a lot of other stuff on my plate. My new web site is customvintagetrailerparts.com
Back to the issue at hand:
an update.
I have had a little time this week to get back to the lens.
I'm not thrilled with the result but I plan on giving it one more try in a couple weeks. There are a number of surface irregularities on the front and several places on the back which don't show here that are not shiny and you can see them from the front.
The glue I used isn't going to work so I will try another approach. It was just too messy and hard to control. I made a brace to hold the two pieces together but it's a #X1§£x”” to get it right.
Anyway just to let you know where it stands. I'll have more time come December. I'll either get it to work or know then if I can't. At this point I'm sure it will not meet my standards but it may be a reasonable option for some of you.

Lanny
Happy Thanksgiving!
Attached Thumbnails
Screen shot 2011-11-16 at 5.07.39 PM.jpg   uhaul.jpg  

Tags
light