Tail light lenses c10 u haul - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #1

Name: Bobby
Trailer: 1985 ct 10' travel trailer
Washington
Tail light lenses c10 u haul

I would like to know where I can get tail light lenses for my 1985 C10 U Haul trailer
bobby goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:20 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Do you mean a CT13? Not familiar with a C10 designation. If you have the wraparound style lights, with amber top turn signals, I understand that they're pretty impossible to find. Unfortunately, I have no leads
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I wasn't going to respond until a U-Haul owner piped in (thanks Pam), but my memory tells me the U-Haul tail light lenses are in the same categoy as the Bargman L-400 lockset. Nearly impossible to find and if you do expect to pay $$$.

Once upon a time someone mentioned a GMC/Chevy Van lens being "close." Perhaps with some fiberglass modification you could get it to work...

On edit: these are the ones I was thinking of: http://www.discountbodyparts.com/cat...dbpid=shopping&
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I wasn't going to respond until a U-Haul owner piped in (thanks Pam), but my memory tells me the U-Haul tail light lenses are in the same categoy as the Bargman L-400 lockset. Nearly impossible to find and if you do expect to pay $$$.

Once upon a time someone mentioned a GMC/Chevy Van lens being "close." Perhaps with some fiberglass modification you could get it to work...

On edit: these are the ones I was thinking of: Discount Body Parts - 1979 gmc c1500 tail light lens 11-1282-09 - 1979 GMC C1500 Tail Light Lens&
It doesn't seem to 'wrap' around as far as the UHaul taillight does. But does appear that it could be made to work. Wonder if anyone has, and can post photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Taillight.JPG  
Old 06-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
It doesn't seem to 'wrap' around as far as the UHaul taillight does. But does appear that it could be made to work. Wonder if anyone has, and can post photos.
The GMC taillight size is about right, but somebody on uhaulcamper forum tried it and the radius is too sharp. It leaves a gap about an inch deep at the apex where it doesn't conform to the soft U-Haul curve, which someone else described as being approximately the radius of a 5 gallon bucket, whereas the GMC has a more sharply pronounced corner.

Others have been getting the metal light adapters U-haul sold for their own trailers. They follow the radius exactly and convert it to a rear facing round light. Not very exciting, but it works.

Mine were just spray painted black when I got it. My lights mount on the bumper.

Regards,

Matt
Old 06-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
what you can do rather cheaply is buy the alum wrap around tail light housings from uhaul that allow you to install a round light thats easier to get and they look good on there too. There's pics on uhaul forums of it on someones trailer.
I'll try to find a link in a bit.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
here

Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:37 PM   #8

Registry
http://epc.uhaul.com/linkone/Viewer/...aul/misc_parts
This is the parts page. Looks like it's $11.74 each?
Old 06-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Back in the day, when Ray Horner (original owner of the U-Haul forums) posted a REALLY good fix for the tail lights. It required a major bondo fix and allowed for the "new" 7" LED bus tail lights. This is that topic, if you can view it!
http://www.uhaulcamper/com/forum/vie...7ed8cd8c431cdf
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:19 AM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Uhaulcamper also has directions for pouring plastic into a mold and making some yourself. I don't have time to search that site now, but I remember reading it as a possible solution for ours that are kind of scary brittle.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:25 AM   #11

Trailer: 16 ft Casita
Bobby et al.
I've started a small business making parts for vintage trailers. (I did a frame off restoration of an 86 Casita years back) I will be molding a U Haul tail light lens for a fellow TCT member in the next several weeks. It will be solid red, however, as the amber red combination would be considerably more expensive. If you are interested let me know.
Thanks
Lanny Webb
LWEBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #12

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Lanny, please post the results of your Uhaul tail light lenses, I'm sure I'm not the only Uhaul owner that would want a spare set on hand. I'd be all in for buying a spare set. You could even shoot me a PM when you start making them.
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:31 PM   #13

Will Do

Will do James, It will be a couple of weeks but I'll post picts when they are done.
Lanny
Old 08-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #14

Ohio
Registry
Are you making molds and casting them, and are you initially planning on only making the 1 set or were you going to make multiple sets? Thanks
Old 08-07-2011, 06:54 AM   #15

Molds

James, Yes I've been making reproductions of light fixtures and lenses for a while now. Pretty much a one man show. I restored a very rare Airstream and needed lenses. I had one side light lens, made a cast of that then retooled the cast and then made a new mold then cast them in both amber and red. Years ago I worked for Fernbank Science Center in Atlanta and molding and casting was my specialty. I recently retired form UGA as head of the graphic design area for the school of art. I have started a small business selling replacement and hand made replicas of parts for people. A friend in the TCT group asked if I would make the replacement lens for the UHaul. It will be the biggest lens I've cast so far and as I told him would not be cheap. He he would buy two sets if I would tackle it.
Sorry I didn't mean that to get so long.
Lanny
Old 08-07-2011, 07:42 AM   #16

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We might be interested in a set for our Uhaul VT.

Another Uhaul lens cover that you might consider are the marker light covers. The originals say "Uhaul." Replacements that you can still get from Uhaul do not have the Uhaul name.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:56 AM   #17

I'd be happy to make sets for anyone interested if you're patient.

Because of the size I can only make one a day! That's one lens not one set.

The cast has to sit in a pressure pot under heat for 16 hours and the UHaul lens mold pretty much takes up all the room in the pot. The mold has to be a minimum thickness of two inches on every side.

The resin is two part UV resistant urethane. Both parts have to be separately put through a degassing chamber to eliminate any trapped moisture and air then when mixed, degassed a second time. Ordinarily I can cast five or six lenses in the same amount of time the UHaul lens will take!
lanny
Old 08-07-2011, 07:57 AM   #18

Cindy, How big are the UHaul VT lenses? What does UHaul charge for the replacement?
lanny
Old 08-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #19

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWEBB View Post
I'd be happy to make sets for anyone interested if you're patient.

Because of the size I can only make one a day! That's one lens not one set.

The cast has to sit in a pressure pot under heat for 16 hours and the UHaul lens mold pretty much takes up all the room in the pot. The mold has to be a minimum thickness of two inches on every side.

The resin is two part UV resistant urethane. Both parts have to be separately put through a degassing chamber to eliminate any trapped moisture and air then when mixed, degassed a second time. Ordinarily I can cast five or six lenses in the same amount of time the UHaul lens will take!
lanny
Lanny,
I'll be interested to follow your progress/process. If the price is reasonable I would want a set for my CT13.
Patti
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #20

Ohio
Registry
I guess for me it will come down to price, with the amount of time to make a set, it sounds like they will be pricey. What do you expect the cost for a set ballpark? Are we talking <$50.00?

Tags
light