Taking on the Back Window.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2011, 03:56 PM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: 1975 BIOD Extase
Alberta
Registry
Taking on the Back Window....

Yes, there's nothing like a little necessity to be a good teacher. After a good rain, I noticed some leaking in my new/old Trillium.

After going to this forum, figured out it was probably due to a back window leak. The gobs of silicone :<) around the window was testament.

So last night, after copious reading of the forums again, I pulled out the rear window to find 3 of 4 pieces of wood trim to be black and saturated with years of water.

So now I have it all apart, and with the help of all the forum friends from past and present, will get it back together and (I hope) leak proof.

Just wanted to drop a note of thanks to all for the cooperative and collaborative spirit found in these forums. Great knowledge and friendliness have made what would have been an impossible task - well, possible.

Thanks all,

Don
trilliumdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilliumdon View Post
Yes, there's nothing like a little necessity to be a good teacher. After a good rain, I noticed some leaking in my new/old Trillium.

After going to this forum, figured out it was probably due to a back window leak. The gobs of silicone :<) around the window was testament.

So last night, after copious reading of the forums again, I pulled out the rear window to find 3 of 4 pieces of wood trim to be black and saturated with years of water.

So now I have it all apart, and with the help of all the forum friends from past and present, will get it back together and (I hope) leak proof.

Just wanted to drop a note of thanks to all for the cooperative and collaborative spirit found in these forums. Great knowledge and friendliness have made what would have been an impossible task - well, possible.

Thanks all,

Don
Every project you under take in just one more bit of knowledge that you can in turn pass on to someone else....Gotta love paying it forward!
Good luck with your window....We did ours over the winter and the job wasn't too bad, just alot of scraping (Silcone...Created by the devil!) and cleaning.
Cheers!
Emily
Emily R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:51 PM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I understand. Amazing how much wood there is in a glass trailer. Last weekend I took the door off my Escondido Burro (the door is the later type composed of mitred extrusions rather than the "body hugging" airplane type door of the the Sac City Burros. My door holdback was not "holding" as screwed into the filler in the door which turned out to be sheet styrofoam in the middle and 1 1/2"X 2" of what may have been pressure-treated softwood as stiffener and "nailer" around the perimeter. Took the bottom extrusion off and there was the black sponge you describe. I was surprised as the wood in the area of the lockset which I replaced was still solid. So I ripped some pressure-treated fur to replace and put the door back together and screwdd on my holdback. As in your case, the telltale around the window in the door was a lot of dead putty and a nice big sloppy bead of gun caulk. So I took out the plastic bezel and glazing and cleaned that up. I used putty tape where the bezel contacts the skin of the door but it was too thick to compress well where the glass contacts the bezel so I took the putty tape off, rolled it back up and used "VHB" (very high bond) tape which is about a 1/16" in thickness on that area. The VHB is usually used in arts and graphics apps. much as double-sided tape is used. Wouldn't you love to have an old stickbuilt trailer with a wood rather than aluminum frame?

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote