Tall Person Fit - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #15
Trailer: Palomino Pinto Pop-up
hey dana--if i look for an older trailer like yours what do i focus on for future probs/fixes etc.? my first pop up was almost 30 yrs old and i didnt have any probs--i guess im a little bit nervous spending 4-7 grand on something half as old as i am! i think i would have a rv place check it out befor traveling a long ways...thanks tom

tom e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #16
Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
hey dana--if i look for an older trailer like yours what do i focus on for future probs/fixes etc.?
Everything needs checking:
Frame -- is it straight, are there any cracks or breaks?
Axle -- if rubber torsion, has it been replaced? If not, rubber that old is dead and you basically have no springs so you will have to replace it.
-- if leaf spring, check the spring leaves, hanger and shackle pivots. Springs die, and pivots wear out -- but how quickly depends on quality, lubrication, and usage,
Wheels -- any cracks, dings in the rim, or exceptionally rusty?
Tires -- Sufficient tread? Even if you have tread, make sure they are not showing cracking -- if so replace them immediately!
Brakes -- do they work, and are they properly adjusted?
Axle bearings -- are they in good shape and properly lubricated?

And so on -- check the body, door, windows for cracks, leaks, and resulting damage.

Take a look at the "Buyers Check List" on the lefthand menu halfway down from the FiberglassRV.com logo for more specifics.

In my case I wanted something that was structurally sound, had a heater, cooktop, and 3-way fridge in working order for not too much money. Of course I didn't get everything I wanted, but for $900 I got a solid (well, as solid as they made them) frame, an intact body, rotted out window frames and interior woodwork, a solid floor (amazing considering the condition of the rest of the wood), a 3-burner cooktop (rusty but working), a gravity furnace of unknown condition, and no fridge at all. I probably overpaid but it gave me something to start working on. Of course I immediately had to shell out another $200 for tires, and later bought a fridge, and this and that, and I'm now over $2,000 into that trailer. But it's becoming quite uniquely suited for what I want to do. It will probably be worthless if I tried to sell it because it is so expressly geared to boondocking, parked at "campgrounds" determined largely by my imagination instead of clearly defined spots in an established campground.

We just got back from a trip to the Mojave desert and had a blast, so that part's good. The downside is that we discovered some things I thought were "done" really aren't and I need to rework them again. But I never have to wonry about running out of things to do....

Good luck on your search. The important thing to figure out is what you want your trailer to do -- lotsa beds or just one, what size bed(s), set up for boondocking (no hookups) or always hooked up, bathroom (weighty but convenient) or not (maybe just a porta potty, or if you really want lightweight, some WAG bags), big and roomy or small and light and maneuverable, and so on.

Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote