Tape for Ensolite Seams - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2010, 02:43 PM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: 1978 Boler B1700 RGH
Saskatchewan
Tape for Ensolite Seams

After much internet searching and a huge amount of info on this forum we have decided to go with the original Ensolite as it is fairly good shape, really dirty but I have discovered a soft bristle brush and Tilex or Spray Nine is a excellent cleaner. We will put tape on the seams and paint. Can anyone tell me what kind of tape to use. I have checked out Uline website but there are so many types. Can someone give me a part number or description of what I should use.

Thanks
Don
Don A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Don,

If I were going to paint, I don't think I would install tape on the seams first.

If you like the tape look, I would probably paint and then tape afterward.

If you are not specifically attached to the tape look, and you are going to paint the Ensolite, then I would probably fill the seams with caulk and then paint the works. Some people texture the caulk as it's drying to make it more closely resemble the Ensolite; others leave it smooth.

As for the tape, Scamp does sell one-sided seam tape. Going by the price I don't think it probably has the "tack" and quality of some of the tapes at U-line, but I guess it must work (?) (maybe someone who has used the Scamp tape will chime in).

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #3

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
If you use the Scamp tape you must use hot glue gun. The sticky stuff on the tape is inadequate. I know from experience.
A Scamp employee told me to use a hot glue gun when I called and told them my problem.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:39 PM   #4

Name: Don
Trailer: 1978 Boler B1700 RGH
Saskatchewan
Thanks once again for the info. I did order the tape from Scamp but it did not stick very well. It also was too narrow. We have now totally gutted the trailer. Took the windows out today. The only thing left is the ensolite. I am going to see what kind of a job I can do with elbow grease and paint. I have a feeling I am going to run into a problem removing the glue that is left after removing the existing tape. Maybe it would be simplier to remove the existing ensolite and replace it with new and then paint it. Either way it looks like a big job!!! (But I am not pulling my hair out yet)
Don A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Don,

I think replacing the Ensolite would be a really big job. I wouldn't do that unless it was absolutely necessary, myself. For one thing, the old contact cement/glue is a real bear to get off the shell (at least mine was, and I'm only doing small areas where I'm tabbing in cabinetry -- I'll be re-adhering the Ensolite when I'm done). Then refitting and regluing the whole trailer..... that would not be an easy job.

Good to know about the Scamp seam tape. I had my doubts based on the price. I would rather spend a bit more and get a tape with a higher-tack glue than I would to use a hot glue gun. U-line does have some better looking tapes.

For removing glue residue, I have a standard arsenal of things to try. One of them usually does the trick (although removing the contact cement residue that held original Ensolite onto the Boler took a two-part approach; I was about to tear my hair out on that one). Of course, for any of the things on this list, wear appropriate protection and try in the ol' inconspicuous area first.

Favorites:
denatured alcohol
3M Adhesive remover (black aerosol can; smells like orange)
acetone
lacquer thinner
scraping
grinding
Scotch-Brite pad
If it's a sticker/label, using a fresh piece of the same sticker to pull off the adhesive

I'll probably think of some others to add.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:39 AM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Goof off
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:26 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don A View Post
Can someone give me a part number or description of what I should use.

Thanks
Don
When we insulated our Fiber Steam I taped the ensolite seams with good old 3M double sided mounting tape. The stickn up side can be neutralized with Talc or just paint over with Kilz primer. We taped and them painted. We like the finished look. (I'm an old skin diver and like the look of taped neoprene)

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:25 PM   #8

Name: Sam
Trailer: 1977 Boler
Kansas
We had the same predicament recently, and after also deciding to clean up and keep the ensolite, that tape glue was a real pain. If you don't find a product that works particularly well, just know that you are not alone. My favorite tools ended up being 1. my fingernails and 2. a careful pass with a "paint and rust remover" on the grinder.

Rather than try to reattach tape to the impossibly resilient residue of old adhesive and the various solvents used to attack it, we caulked with DAP ALEX latex caulk. Faux-texturing was fussy and pretty unattractive, so I taped off the edges and smoothed the caulk in the gap with a bondo spatula. In the end I think we got the best of both worlds. It has a tidy look, but won't fall off (I hope!) and will be painted over... eventually.

Just another option!

-- Jess
Sam and Jess is offline   Reply With Quote