target antenna - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2008, 02:17 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft (B19)
My 1989 Bigfoot has a Target 360A crank up antenna, the worm gear has stripped. Our local RV supply (Southern Ontario) has only winegard parts. Are parts still available?
TonyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
If you did not completely destroy the old gear and if U R clever enough, you may be able to make a new one out of PC.7 Epoxy Paste.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #3

Quote:
If you did not completely destroy the old gear and if U R clever enough, you may be able to make a new one out of PC.7 Epoxy Paste.

If all else fails I will try that. I am hoping that another make that is available, Braund for instance can be modified. I am surprised that I can find no reference to "target "antennas. It looks as though it was original equipment on my Bigfoot.
What do you think would be a good material to make the female mold from?
Old 03-06-2008, 08:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
If your lucky this could be the same outfit.
Pretty classy stuff now but I saw some gears on their parts page.

http://www.targetcorporation.com/index.html#About%20Us

Then again maybe not.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:41 AM   #5

Quote:
If your lucky this could be the same outfit.
Pretty classy stuff now but I saw some gears on their parts page.

http://www.targetcorporation.com/index.html#About%20Us

Then again maybe not.
Thanks for the link, I don't see any matching parts. As you say pretty classy, maybe they started in the crank up antenna business but no reference now.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
According to the April 2008 Popular Science Mag, You can find almost every part at this web site. Good Luck.

http://www.partstore.com/
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 1999 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Tony,

Nearly ten years ago there was a similar request for that gear on one of the Google Groups. At that time the Airex/Target 360 was a common RV antenna and parts were stocked by most dealers. As I remember, your antenna was made by The Scott & Fetzer Company and sold under the brand name Airex. (Not the same as the trailer manufacturer.) Target 360 as the model name. Scott & Fitzer was acquired by Berkshire Hathaway Inc. and Airex was probably sold to Philips Lighting. They still market at least one TV antenna with the "AIREX COLORMASTER" brand name. The original company, if still in existence, no longer makes antennas but may be making awnings for RVs under the name Carefree of Colorado.
The trail of ownership is so convoluted that I doubt that you will ever find the parts source. Your best bet will be to find a large RV dealer that has been in business for twenty years or more.
Craig Nold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Tony,

Nearly ten years ago there was a similar request for that gear on one of the Google Groups. At that time the Airex/Target 360 was a common RV antenna and parts were stocked by most dealers. As I remember, your antenna was made by The Scott & Fetzer Company and sold under the brand name Airex. (Not the same as the trailer manufacturer.) Target 360 as the model name. Scott & Fitzer was acquired by Berkshire Hathaway Inc. and Airex was probably sold to Philips Lighting. They still market at least one TV antenna with the "AIREX COLORMASTER" brand name. The original company, if still in existence, no longer makes antennas but may be making awnings for RVs under the name Carefree of Colorado.
The trail of ownership is so convoluted that I doubt that you will ever find the parts source. Your best bet will be to find a large RV dealer that has been in business for twenty years or more.

Thanks for the info Craig, I have modified the gears in a a Braund gear set. I had to add a spacer to the worm and cut a leg off the gear. Braund do a set for square legged and round legged antennas, the round one is the one I used. I will still look out for original parts "just in case" I had a reply on another group from a dealer in Florida, he had all the parts that don't wear out!!
Old 03-11-2008, 06:40 AM   #9

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Quote:
Tony,

That is some complete and concise information! I am constantly staggered at the depth of information in this forum.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:17 PM   #10

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Quote:
Tony,

Maybe in your travels, I found a complete brand new Taillight /license plate holder in South Dakota at an old RV place. It was on the wall under the bottom shelf. 8 bucks the lady said she didn't even know she had it.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote