Tarp or cover for long term open RV park - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-08-2015, 04:56 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix47 View Post
I live full time in a Casita right in the middle of the Mohave. I have been here three years. Forget a cover....too much wind. A/C is a joke in this dry weather. 8000 BTU just won't cut it on 110 degree days. I could post a picture but I put the swamp cooler on a tower made of cinder blocks so it blows right into the side window. Simple. On the hottest days it is comfortable in five minutes while my neighbors need hours for their big RVs to cool down using A/C. The swamp cooler makes too much noise for me at night as does A/C but fortunately, it is rare in the Mohave to need A/C at night. I open the door, all the windows and just use a fan if need be and if it is terribly hot during the monsoon I have a portable cot and I sleep outside. If you want a shade just set up a tarp outside but be sure to take it down. The wind can really be fierce and everything gets ripped down. You can use those sun shade cloths that allow wind through or the military camo netting to shade the entrance. Overall, probably the best place in the US to live in an RV.

(emphasis added)
Shirley, you are kidding, right?
If not, please tell us why.....
__________________

__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:14 PM   #16
Member
 
Name: Bill
Trailer: Oliver
North Carolina
Posts: 31
I believe it was the Wynn's that did a YouTube piece on this year's Burning Man gathering where they talk about and show both swamp coolers and mesh awnings. You might take a look.

Bill
__________________

__________________
topgun2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:09 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Posts: 1,037
Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennaver View Post
Hi,
The RV park I am looking to move to, in the Mojave desert, has water, electric but is otherwise bare bones with no cover.

What would you recommend I use as a cover for my anticipated refurbished 1978 Trillium 4500 from Randy? He is out of town for another week and I look forward for some advice.

The rv park is open, and the Mojave reaches 120 in the summer and the cooler at night, depending on the season. I'm worried about schorching the trailer in the sun and heat.

When I looked at the live view from mapquest of the park everyone was just in the open with no cover.

Found this thread--> RV covers for Boler, Trillium, Scamp, U-Haul and Lil-Bigfoot
If I Knew I was going to be there quite a while I would look into the Costco Garages they are 12'X20'X10' high at peak try and make up some leg extensions to get a couple more feet higher so whole trailer goes in the covers last about 5 years can be taken down and put back up easily are held together with bungee straps which also wear out but you can buy this stuff in a large roll and same for the plastic balls. Just remake when worn out.
Not all that heavy and can take with u when u move or sell to someone else.
U want some height and leave both ends open so the air can move through to cool off at night. U can open up the door sides and what ever windows open make it so the Costco does the same. They sell in Canada for around $200 or less. No point in making permanent as who knows when u will move onto anther location.
Stude
__________________
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:44 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Borrego Dave's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Posts: 2,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
If I Knew I was going to be there quite a while I would look into the Costco Garages they are 12'X20'X10' high at peak try and make up some leg extensions to get a couple more feet higher so whole trailer goes in the covers last about 5 years can be taken down and put back up easily are held together with bungee straps which also wear out but you can buy this stuff in a large roll and same for the plastic balls. Just remake when worn out. Stude

Nice suggestion if you're not living in the desert. A 30 mph wind is called a breeze here and happens often. The wind comes and goes like flipping a light switch. I like it but you have to learn to live with it's whims.
__________________
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:06 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Posts: 1,037
Breeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Nice suggestion if you're not living in the desert. A 30 mph wind is called a breeze here and happens often. The wind comes and goes like flipping a light switch. I like it but you have to learn to live with it's whims.
so u don't think we get those kinds of breeezes up here, were smart we anchor the costco garage by putting each foot into a bucket of 25 pound cement or gravel in case one wants to use the bucket again. The cover might move around a bit but it aint about to take off to your neighbors down the street or in the next county.
Stude
__________________
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:55 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Borrego Dave's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Posts: 2,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
so u don't think we get those kinds of breeezes up here, were smart we anchor the costco garage by putting each foot into a bucket of 25 pound cement or gravel in case one wants to use the bucket again. The cover might move around a bit but it aint about to take off to your neighbors down the street or in the next county.
Stude
Well Peter I'm not going to argue with you and that wasn't my point for my response. Just pointing out that when all you have to block the wind is a few cactus' and such you've got to think differently about what you build. Glad your anchors work for you. I've been in the desert for 30 years and the OP's destination is about 100 miles north of me. There have been a few new folks that moved in here that did the same thing as you say. Those covers ended up in the next county, the frame not so far. A neighbors patio roof with a lot more than 25lbs of concrete in the footings ended up on their tile roof with a lot of broken tiles...along with the concrete footings. Local codes here call for 2'x2'x2' footings for patio uprights, I did 3'x3'x2' just cuz and my patio is still here . There may be ways for the OP to have a cover but it's going to have to be something that lets the wind go through it like military camo netting and not with standard bungies as they only last about two months in the deserts UV.
__________________
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:25 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Posts: 1,037
B. Dave your right on with the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Well Peter I'm not going to argue with you and that wasn't my point for my response. Just pointing out that when all you have to block the wind is a few cactus' and such you've got to think differently about what you build. Glad your anchors work for you. I've been in the desert for 30 years and the OP's destination is about 100 miles north of me. There have been a few new folks that moved in here that did the same thing as you say. Those covers ended up in the next county, the frame not so far. A neighbors patio roof with a lot more than 25lbs of concrete in the footings ended up on their tile roof with a lot of broken tiles...along with the concrete footings. Local codes here call for 2'x2'x2' footings for patio uprights, I did 3'x3'x2' just cuz and my patio is still here . There may be ways for the OP to have a cover but it's going to have to be something that lets the wind go through it like military camo netting and not with standard bungies as they only last about two months in the deserts UV.
I was lucky in the 60mph winds we get in the winter our worst weather a few years back was the snow but with the warming weather patterns we have not had any snow for a bit. I believe u when u say about them travelling through the air as I have seen just that.
So I got lucky and bought a steel upright model 3"x3" by 12' uprights with base of same metal and roof trusses same material with all the angle braces and under each upright I have concrete into the ground 4' with a 2' J-hook into the concrete the the base plate is bolted to the J-hook 26' long with one section on the down side just below the roof to stop the snow, water, ice from blowing in onto the MH. The roof is all heavy gauge steel sloped downwards and not lenghtways like most are. No gutters I just let it all run off or slip off. Open all around with some tarping at the stern to protect it from the weather. Bow is out and open so we can get in or out for a little winter camping. This outfit will not travel anywhere as there is 10 J-hooks on either side and it also attached to one side where retaining wall is built.
We have had some 100mph winds and it is still standing.
Stude
__________________
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:56 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
so u don't think we get those kinds of breeezes up here, were smart we anchor the costco garage by putting each foot into a bucket of 25 pound cement or gravel in case one wants to use the bucket again. The cover might move around a bit but it aint about to take off to your neighbors down the street or in the next county.
Stude
Gotta say, 25 lb buckets won't do the trick in desert winds. We had one over our Lil Bigfoot and, with high winds in a residential area in So Cal our canopy was picked up, along with six full 5 gallon water containers (40 lbs each) and threw the whole mess onto a tile roof doing almost $1000 in damage to the roof, but none to the lil' Bigfoot. The 10' x 20' we had stated, "Not suitable for use in areas with winds over 50 MPH", something almost never seen where it was at.
__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:37 AM   #23
Moderator
 
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Posts: 3,081
Evaporation pulls large amounts of heat out of the air. Even in the Midwest it is used to provide large volume heat removal in roof top chiller units because it uses much less energy than AC compressor. Sweat both pumps heat & cools by evaporation. When the humidity gets too high for the evaporation to happen you hear a lot of "it's not the heat it's the humidity" around this state.


Why on earth it ended up getting called a "swamp cooler" I have no idea. A swamp would seem like one of the least effective places to use it.
__________________
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:07 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
If you look inside of a rooftop Evaporative Cooler that hasn't been cleaned out for a few years, you will know whey they are called a "Swamp Cooler" The insides can get pretty swampy looking. That and the wet pad, often growing all kinds of green stuff on it, adds to the image I guess.
__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:25 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 5,566
Registry
Not to mention the smell in the house when you use one in that condition...

Clean it thoroughly at least once a season and change the pads, and it shouldn't earn its nickname.
__________________
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:50 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Gennaver's Avatar
 
Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Randy Bishop's 1978 Trillium 4500
California
Posts: 134
Coincidentally I have access to some cammo mesh and rope netting that Ibought for a friend in North Dakota, for a family event that was outdoors and there was trong winds on the plains. There are suprluss resale supply stores near where I'm at tnow. I can get some to bring with me. AFter spending the week in North Dakota with wind storms, I am very glad how that netting worked out.

Thank you again everyone, I agree to play it safe for me since there isn't any way I'd want to be responsible for damage to my neighbors RV if anything happened while I was away at work.

Jen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Well Peter I'm not going to argue with you and that wasn't my point for my response. Just pointing out that when all you have to block the wind is a few cactus' and such you've got to think differently about what you build. Glad your anchors work for you. I've been in the desert for 30 years and the OP's destination is about 100 miles north of me. There have been a few new folks that moved in here that did the same thing as you say. Those covers ended up in the next county, the frame not so far. A neighbors patio roof with a lot more than 25lbs of concrete in the footings ended up on their tile roof with a lot of broken tiles...along with the concrete footings. Local codes here call for 2'x2'x2' footings for patio uprights, I did 3'x3'x2' just cuz and my patio is still here . There may be ways for the OP to have a cover but it's going to have to be something that lets the wind go through it like military camo netting and not with standard bungies as they only last about two months in the deserts UV.
__________________
Gennaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:57 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Gennaver's Avatar
 
Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Randy Bishop's 1978 Trillium 4500
California
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Not to mention the smell in the house when you use one in that condition...

Clean it thoroughly at least once a season and change the pads, and it shouldn't earn its nickname.
Good to know!

Also, thank you too everyone, it looks like Felix's style is the way I should plan to try. I'll see if he can share any picture.

Felix, any pictures available, for here or pm?

Thank you,
Jen
__________________
Gennaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:22 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Borrego Dave's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Posts: 2,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennaver View Post
Coincidentally I have access to some cammo mesh and rope netting that Ibought for a friend in North Dakota, for a family event that was outdoors and there was trong winds on the plains. There are suprluss resale supply stores near where I'm at tnow. I can get some to bring with me. AFter spending the week in North Dakota with wind storms, I am very glad how that netting worked out. Jen

Well Jen, if the netting does get away it won't really damage anything down wind
__________________

__________________
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
opinions please on this type of tarp/cover denabear Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 12 09-09-2013 04:07 PM
Question about long term campgrounds ColoRockiesFan General Chat 9 08-07-2012 12:02 PM
Long Term Report - Shademaker RV Awning Booker B. Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 3 08-29-2011 11:34 AM
Long term storage Tony Nowak Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 6 11-02-2007 05:07 PM
Long Term Planning Judy N General Chat 8 06-30-2006 11:54 PM

» Trailer Showcase

Carmela

rvaldez

lucky

cram66
» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.