Teardrop American Outbacker needs help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2017, 11:43 AM   #1

Name: Kari
Trailer: Boler 13/American Teardrop Outbacker
Idaho
Teardrop American Outbacker needs help

Hi. I'm new to this forum and happy to have found it! I bought this little space ship/teardrop that has been sitting in a field for ages. I'm hoping there are folks here who have experience with these little guys. I bought it with the intention of making it a winter project. Does anyone know of any resources or folks on this site who are particularly experience with these? My main concern at the moment are the doors. They do not seem to be hanging right and do not close completely. Does anyone have any suggestions to remedy this problem? Wondering what may have caused this and is it a common issue with these? Thanks in advance and looking forward to learning much here!
Idahogem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:52 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
There are several old threads on this trailer. If you do a "Site Search/Google" (bottom of the "Search" menu) you should be able to find them. Here's one to whet your appetite:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...can-27419.html
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:57 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Those trailers are not actually molded fiberglass but I have seen some discussion about them here. I believe they may be a ABS type plastic or similar material. I'm sure I've also seen discussions about them on the tnttt.com forum (teardrops and tiny travel trailers). Neat little trailer, good luck in your restoration.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 84 Burro 13 ft
I used to own a Teardrop American. It also had problematic doors. The ABS plastic gradually straightens out from the weight and other factors, and the body of the trailer also slumps with age. I fixed them by making a template of the curvature of the trailer door openings. I then used the template when I ratcheted the doors with straps to match the curvature of the openings. On a day when the temperature was in the 90's I put the straps around the door and very slowly matched the curve. Remove the doors first, when you get the proper curve you will need to reinforce the sides of the doors so they don't revert back to the prior (bad) curve. I used strips of metal cut to the new curvature, a glue from Home Depot made for ABS plastic (a type of Gorilla glue) and sheet metal screws. Let the glue cure before you remove the straps. This worked for me and may work for you too.
Rusty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:36 PM   #5

Idaho
Thank you! Will do just that!
Old 10-17-2017, 08:38 PM   #6

Idaho
Thank you! Will definitely check out the website!
Old 10-17-2017, 08:41 PM   #7

Idaho
So, the doors have straightened out? What did you use as a template to reshape the doors? Really clever solution, btw. ! I sure hope I haven't gotten in over my head, here!
Old 10-18-2017, 09:30 AM   #8

Name: Marge
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Teardrop website

tnttt.com is THE go to place for any info you'll ever want about teardrops. We've just upgraded from a teardrop to a Casita. My husband built our teardrop 8 years ago and that website was a great resource.
margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:50 PM   #9

Name: Roger
Trailer: Trails West Campster andTeardrop American
California
Registry
Hi. My name is Roger Wilhelm. I own a TearDrop American. Sitting in my garage. Interestingly, I bought mine thru a friend and brought it home from Nampa. And yes my doors have slumped too. My solution is similar, but I was going to make braces from plywood and use them as interior door handles to open and close the doors. The angle is 125 degrees and the idea was to screw the braces inside the door and slowly but surely bend the doors back to shape. On either side of the door on the inside is a brace installed by the factory and that is what I used to measure the angle. Still have a cardboard template. Most of the body and pieces are double walled so once, the correct contour is achieved, it may be possible to use self expanding foam between the inner and outer shells to retain shape.
I can also tell you that spare body parts may no longer exists. I located a place that had several spare bodies and doors etc, that he purchased at auction when the company went bankrupt. Unfortunately, his business was destroyed during the wildfires that surrounded the town of Chelan a while back. Its my understanding that the spare plastic burned.
I am on TNTT forum but haven't logged on for some time. I bought a larger fiberglass trailer. My old bones won't put up with a teardrop anymore.
If I can help in some way, please contact me. I'm on facebook (whoopee) and will happily talk to you about the the trailer
Roger
rwilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:05 PM   #10

Idaho
Hello Roger and thank you for the info! I will definitely message you on Facebook. I'm not very active on there so it is nice to finally have a good reason to do so.