Television Problem - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #1

Name: Jim & Mary
Trailer: '07 Casita
Tennessee
Television Problem

The '07 Spirit we just bought came with a "Coby" TV. Previous owner said they never used it, just ran vidios. When we tried the tv it did not work. We tried it with cable and with an antenna like we use at home. We then took an extra, small tv from home and tried it using the 30 amp house power at a campground. We plugged into the regular outlet directly, not the DC converter. The tv worked at home, but would not work in camper and now will not work at home. Did I blow something in the "home" tv? Is the amperage too low for the "home" tv? Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to buy another tv and blow it too. Thanks, Jim
semaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Does either TV turn on? What I have found with the TV we use in our camper is that when we plug it in at a new location, whether on an antenna or hooked to cable, we have to run it through a channel scan so it can find what channels are available. We usually have to do the channel scan every time the TV has been unplugged. As for the Coby TV, there seems to be a lot of "reconditioned" ones for sale, apparently they are not very good. Don't know if this is the answer to your problem, just a possibility.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:00 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
when you say "did not work" are you referring to no power or no tv stations? Does it turn on while hooked to 120v? Does the power button indicate power, if yes then you have an antenna issue. Let us know and we can go from there.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:38 AM   #4

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
To echo what others have already said,your description of the symptoms is confusing and makes it tough to give direct help?

Using the TV for Video is using the TV so the former owners clearly did use it but maybe not the tuner only the DVD part?

When you say it does not work we need to know as Jim said if it is even turned on? There should be an LED that indicated power or not.

If no power then you will need to check the outlet you are plugged into,whether 120vac or 12vdc with something you know works to see if there is even power there at all?

If there is power and in fact the TV is powering on.......

Then if they only used it for Video playback you might need to switch it from Video to TV operation from the remote.
If you are not on the tuner setting then it will not use the Tuner to tune and change channels.

Next once you are certain you are on the Tuner Input you WILL need to do a channel scan EVERY TIME YOU MOVE THE TV!

This is just the way the Digital Tuning works,I know it seems silly but it is true.

In the trailer it can be confusing too as to which antenna connection you will use.
The antenna plate above the corner of the bed in the back is where you will connect the TV with another cable from the TV to the Jack Plate.
Then the switch on the Jack Plate should be on and the LED showing to use the trailers built-in antenna.
If this is not on then you will be connected to the outside corner jack where you will either need to have TV or Cable connected to get any signal.
This part can be confusing and has caused many people to think the antenna is not working when they are really not even connected to the trailer antenna unless the switch on the Jack Plate is turned on.

Likewise with the small TV from the house,do you mean it will not even turn on or that it is on but will not tune channels?
Same progression of ideas to get that one working too.

So please try to be more specific and hopefully we can help.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You mentioned that the TV from home no longer works. That lights up the possibility that there is something very wrong with the small antenna amp that is behind the plug plate. Most TV's would be very unhappy getting a full 12VDC jolt on the antenna input..... If you can measure 12 volts from the center of the antenna outlet plug to ground it might give a hint of a problem.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #6

As an added note:

I have been told by several cable guys that the primary reason so many digital TV's are returned, and become "Refurbished", is because either the owners are clueless about setting up for digital channels or the sets channel scanning instructions are not clear.

A few, such as the Vizio in my trailer, might need a software update to get back on track, but that's no big deal. For this reason the 5 of the 6 flatscreen in my house & RV's are all "Refurbished" (The other is a really old, 52" DMD set) and I have never had a reliability problem. BUT, I only buy better brand names and never house brands.

I just bought a 32", 1080 res, Philips flat screen, with internet connectivity, "refurbished" for $200.

And with something like 800 possible channels available, who would want to "Search" for a station, hence the scan to identify available channels and sub channels.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #7

Name: Jim & Mary
Trailer: '07 Casita
Tennessee
Tv problem

Thanks for all the input and ideas. I have now been able to get the Coby set to come and have done the survey of available channels. The Cony remote did not work at first but I took it apart and cleaned up the contacts so now I can do all the required steps. Still no picture. I am using the same RCA antennae that I use in the house. I also am using the DC converter. Maybe the antenna won't work on DC set. The house set tv still shows no sigh of life. Think it's toast. Am going camping tomorrow so will try the Coby in the camper with the original setup - we'll see. Thankfully the loss of tv is no big deal for us as long as there are books to read and puzzles to solve. Thanks again. Jim
semaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #8

The television antenna doesn't know what voltage the set is running on, doesn't care either...

Why don't you pick up a decent antenna at a Wal-Mart and if it doesn't work it can be returned. Philips antennas seen fairly good and they can be powered off of the USB port on your TV set.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:01 AM   #9

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Jim

So now we know the TV at least does turn on,right?
Also it does get a "Picture" as you used the menus to scan for channels.right?

So when the channel scan is done did it say it found any channels or not?
The set should tell you how many channels it found and stored and this should help tell if the antenna is the problem or the TV is the problem.

I also still do not know if you found the input selection button?
There are some TVs that will allow you to do setup of the channels without having the set switched to the Tuner input so it still could be that you are looking at the Video input and not the Tuner input once the channel scan is complete?

So tell us these 2 things please.

Also where exactly are you connecting the antenna and does the antenna also require power?

I would go and get a simple set of plug in testers,one for AC and one for DC and make sure that each outlet in the Egg has power,believe me these will come in handy anyway down the road too!

You should be able to get both for under $25.00 easily.

If none of this works maybe you are supposed to use the silence anyway,it is Camping after all!

Not for me but......
Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:22 AM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Also check the polarity. Ask me how I know.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote