Television questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #1

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16' 2012 Jeep Wrangler JK 4 Door
Lancaster County Pa
Registry
Television questions

To get any cable channels in a '13 Scamp 16' do I need a converter box between the Tv and the cable connection ?? Does the roof antenna have any type of booster in it ??
jgraps1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
You shouldn't need a converter box at the TV assuming you are using a newish tv.

What type of roof antenna do you have? some have boosters some do not. Does the junction box that you plug your cable into inside the trailer have a switch on it which you need to switch to supply power to the antenna?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Whenever we move to a different campground and use our own antenna we have to run a channel scan on the TV. I don't know if it is necessary when hooking into campground cable. No converter box needed on our TV's which are only a couple years old.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I plugged into campground cable and TV began memorizing channels. Took more than 20 minutes to do that. And, I never got around to watching.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:55 PM   #5

Lancaster County Pa
Registry
The antenna is the boom a rang type that I had Scamp install when they built the camper. The Television is brand new. I haven't hooked up a TV in here yet, this will be the first.As far as I know the cable hook up is just an outlet to put the coax into. My camper is in a storage yard so I can't run out to check. Thanks for your helpful thoughts.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Just raise the antenna, connect your TV input to the antenna cable, turn on the amplifier (if present) and do a channel scan with the TV. Pretty standard when using an antenna in 2014.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:46 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
If you are connected to cable, with most systems you need to turn off the amplifier, turn on the TV while plugged into the cable connection, make sure the TV is set for cable rather than over the air, and do a scan. Some TVs will do the scan automatically, while others require you go to the set up menu. In a park with both digital & analog channels, as baglo said, it may take quite awhile for the initial scan...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:39 PM   #8

Lancaster County Pa
Registry
OK Jon, your link to the antenna store was helpful. My main question is when you buy the basic boom a rang antenna from Scamp for 40 bucks I think all you get is an antenna and a hook up port inside the camper, am I correct in this thought ???? It's rang may also be very limited, right ??
Old 02-08-2014, 06:51 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I'm not sure what link you are referring to, and I can't help with the Scamp antenna since I'm an Escape Owner, and don't know what their boom-a-rang antenna is.

My antenna is an omnidirectional version that feeds an amplifier that has two inputs, one from the antenna & one from a cable connection on the outside of the trailer. When the amplifier switch is on, the antenna signal is amplified and connects to the amp output, which is plugged to the TV. When the amplifier switch is off, there is a direct connection between the outside cable input & the amplifier output (it is not amplified), and the outside antenna is disconnected.

The range of an unamplified, non directional antenna would be fairly limited. Adding an amplifier helps, as does going to a directional antenna, however the directional antenna has to be aimed at the TV transmitter, which adds some complexity to setting up.

Sorry I can't be specific to your situation, but maybe this helps...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #10

Registry
On my Scamp in stalled cable outlet connection inside the trailer it is as Jon described and there is a little switch on the outlet for turning the built in amplifier on.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:39 AM   #11

Lancaster County Pa
Registry
Sorry Jon, It was not your link. It must have been an ad I saw for TVAntennasale.com. I looked at it and it gave me more options which are also helpful. Your explanation of your set is what I hear others have. I doubt I got all that for 40 dollars from Scamp.
Carol, thanks for your input but I don't think I have what you described, I hope I'm wrong. That sounds like what I heard others have with different and larger campers. I will go to my camper and check it out. I just bought it last May and haven't had to use or look closely at the TV hook up, now I will. Thank you for all the information.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:22 AM   #12

Registry
Jeff I just looked at Scamps website to see if the connection inside is different - unfortunately I can see one. But I do see that Scamp is currently using the Winetenna Boomerang TV Antenna and some models come with an amplifier built in some do not - it doesn't say on Scamps website what the model there are using - perhaps your trailer will have the paper work in it to tell you that. Here is the Winetenna's website for more details on each model they sell which should give you the details you need.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:26 PM   #13

Lancaster County Pa
Registry
Thanks Carol, I wrote an e-mail to Scamp to try to get more info since I found nothing in my paperwork. I will assume it is basic and cheap. I ordered an outdoor antenna from Tvantennasale.com. I'm sure the factory installed antenna will not have a range of 150 miles like this one does. I'm trying to cover all bases. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:42 PM   #14

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
A "150 Mile Range" digital TV antenna is going to take one heck of a tall mast.

Digital signals are not very forgiving, either you have it or you don't, and 150 miles is sorta hard to imagine unless it is way high up in the air.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:46 PM   #15

Lancaster County Pa
Registry
Carol, I know I saw pictures of your TV and mount but I can't find them now. Can you please re-direct me and tell me where I can buy that mount. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:23 PM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Factory Antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraps1958 View Post
Thanks Carol, I wrote an e-mail to Scamp to try to get more info since I found nothing in my paperwork. I will assume it is basic and cheap. I ordered an outdoor antenna from Tvantennasale.com. I'm sure the factory installed antenna will not have a range of 150 miles like this one does. I'm trying to cover all bases. Thanks for your help.
I had the factory TV antenna on my 1999 Scamp and I have the factory amplified TV antenna on my 2013 Casita. I found both antennas to have a relatively short range and provide marginal performance at best . My Casita TV works just great when hooked to a cable or satellite TV signal.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:39 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Carol, I know I saw pictures of your TV and mount but I can't find them now. Can you please re-direct me and tell me where I can buy that mount. Thanks.
The thread for TV mounts which has some pictures of the one I put in is at Television Mount. There is also a photo on my trailer register - link under my name on the side bar, Happy with it as it very easy to take the TV down while traveling and stick under bedding - I use push on type connections for the rear cables so easy to put back up. Its a PDR Under Cabinet Mount with Quick Release.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:37 AM   #18

Lancaster County Pa
Registry
Thanks Steve, that's what I thought they would be.Glad I have a back up plan in the works. If that works half as good as they say I'll be happy.
Carol, Thanks again, I knew I saw it somewhere and liked it ! It looks like a great set up. I feel it is important to put the TV down when traveling to limit damage.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
OK Jon, your link to the antenna store was helpful. My main question is when you buy the basic boom a rang antenna from Scamp for 40 bucks I think all you get is an antenna and a hook up port inside the camper, am I correct in this thought ???? It's rang may also be very limited, right ??
My Scamp installed "boom-a-rang" antenna came with a booster. Part of the Scamp antenna package. Look in a cabinet close to where the cable from the antenna enters the cabin. It gets it's power from the 12 volt side of you electric.
Jeffrey S. is offline   Reply With Quote