Television reception - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #15

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
We have the factory Delta antenna with the supplied amplifier on our Scamp. It rotates and is extendable like rabbit ears. Our LCD television is pre digital so we have a motorola tuner box (the one you got with the coupon) That is a great little tuner which is easy to operate.
This system works as good as can be expected within the parameters and limitations described in Ed's post.
I have gone to LOTS of ScampCamps and fiberglass gatherings, and so have had the opportunity to compare notes on reception with others who use the same and different systems. "The luck of the draw" as to which campsite you get, makes a difference, determining what is in the line drawn between your antenna and the broadcast source.
I defer to Ed's considerable expertise on this subject and wish only to reinforce what he said from my experience.

My thanks and note to Ed....
I got that digital tuner box in order to get reception on my non-digital Sharp LCD television, considering it to be a stop-gap solution until I could afford to replace my outdated television.
Considering what you said about the Crap-shoot on the new television tuners, and my level of satisfaction with my present set-up, I am going stick with what seems to work as well as most and better than some.
Your experience and advice has saved me enough to fund a decent camping trip to someplace where I may or may not get much television reception! Thanks

Old 08-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #16

Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
NM
Registry
Jim, I heard that.

...............Anyone have knowledge about this?

DirecTV Satellite Dish Tripod Kit for RV Tailgating | eBay

Old 08-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #17

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
I'll ask since we have very knowledgable people in this thread. Do you know of anyone who sells a control box to operate multiple antennas? I was thinking of a couple of those thin antennas on different sides of the camper(possibly in between the fiberglass and reflectix).

Now I know if you hook them both to a tv at the same time with a splitter you can have different reception issues. If both antennas pick up the same issue but a few milliseconds apart the tv receives the same thing out of phase. You need a control box between the antennas and the tv to filter out the strongest signal and decide which antenna to use.

BTW that's how the radio antenna on the new VWs work and how I know about it.

Ed, can it be done? Do you know of such a box?

Jason.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Speaking of control boxes and multiple antennas, I have often thought of my Casita, with all the antenna mounts etc. as starting to look like one of those Russian Trawlers that masqueraded as fishing boats while trying to capture American radio signals during the 1960's.

I don't mount them all at one time. Usually. A VHF for ship listening at Algonac SP in Michigan, a generic SW antenna and sometimes wireless weather instruments on a mast elsewhere. If I'm interested in on-air broadcasting I use the Winegard Sensar on a extendable paint handle and a speaker tripod. (I could support a white elephant sale of indoor antennas just by myself.)

What can I say? You (global "you") enjoy camping your way, I enjoy it my way.

I have a portable satellite dish (Winegard Carryout) and here in Michigan and environs I can probably "see" a satellite about a third of the time from whatever campsite I end up on. Satellite signal signals don't go through foliage. Obviously if I were camping out in the southwest I'd probably be more likely to be successful.

Of course, there is always a tethered weather balloon to get the antenna and/or sat. dish above the trees. But that would be just silly. Wouldn't it?
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0059a.jpg  
Old 08-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #19

NM
Registry
The tethered balloon idea has some traction to my mind.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #20

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Leski View Post
The tethered balloon idea has some traction to my mind.
not much breeze needed to affect reception
If that worked at all you would need an omnidirectional antenna
Old 08-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #21

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
I'm seeing an in-motion tracking dish, a 12v winch on the back bumper for line recovery... Oh lordy, the birkenstock-wearing camping purists are rolling over in their down sleeping bags.. I'll surely go to heck for hijacking Myron's thread.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Sat TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Leski View Post
Jim, I heard that.

...............Anyone have knowledge about this?

DirecTV Satellite Dish Tripod Kit for RV Tailgating | eBay
We've been using Sat Tv for about 11 years. We dropped our home cable and had two sat receivers installed at home and take one on the road with us.

Our setup is similar to your link, basically a sat dish and tripod. it is not inexpensive however since we have TV at home and on the road it's not too bad of a deal. Relatives who use our home when we're away get TV and we get it at the same time.

It usually taks just a few minutes to set it up.

For Perspectiv e, when we were n the road for 315 days there were probably no more than 5-10 day when we could not get reception - weather and big trees can be the killer.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #23

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We've been using Sat Tv for about 11 years. We dropped our home cable and had two sat receivers installed at home and take one on the road with us.

Our setup is similar to your link, basically a sat dish and tripod. it is not inexpensive however since we have TV at home and on the road it's not too bad of a deal. Relatives who use our home when we're away get TV and we get it at the same time.

It usually taks just a few minutes to set it up.

For Perspectiv e, when we were n the road for 315 days there were probably no more than 5-10 day when we could not get reception - weather and big trees can be the killer.
My b-i-l has done the same thing.
He has one box in his home, and uses the extra box
at his lake house. Two for one.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #24

Florida
Myron,

I should have mentioned that with Dish to get the major networks, you have to pay about an extra $100 a year. You get a choice of 2 of 4. We choose NYC and San Francisco. The other two choices are Chicago and Atlanta. The nice thing about our choices is that when on the west coast everything comes on earlier.

People at our home have a choice of NYC and San Fran as well as our normal network channels from Boston and NH.

Direct also has national network channels as well. You have to prove you're an RVer to get national network stations. A photocopy of your title or registration is enough, due to federal regulations.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #25

NM
Registry
I'm begining to think my entire premise, established in opening this thread, is faulty. Why pay large bucks or any bucks, for unreliable, probably shallow television transmission while on the dusty trail if all I want is the latest news and maybe an hour's entertainment?

As one who grew up with television's birth as a prime element of culture I obviously have fallen into a trap: it's always been there, therefore how could I do without it? Jim you have something. Save money, get a good radio. Music replaces mindless "Faux News" readers. Will miss my Morning Joe, though.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #26

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
We have the factory TV antenna with amp in our Casita , reception is really hit or miss. I do not have the space, desire, nor the ambition to haul and set up an antenna and I am too frugal (CHEAP) to pay for Sat TV. We installed a AM/FM stereo/ CD player with an antenna that is hidden in an upper cabinet so getting the local weather or news is not an issue . We also have a TV with a built in DVD player so at night or if it's raining or the bugs are really bad ,I just pop in a DVD . When we are camping there are far more interesting things to do than watch Summer reruns on the TV and if I am just going to watch TV most of the day I might as well stay home.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #27

Florida
Radios.
We actually carry 3 levels of radio. Our sat tv includes Sirus radio for all kinds of commercial free music. Our smartphones include Tunein Radio that virtually gives you every radio station in the country where ever you are. In addition we've been carrying Amazon's top rated radio.

Also if you have a home and cable TV and travel a lot getting sat TV is a reasonable solution.

We're not big news watchers but like to be entertained sometimes.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #28

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
What's television?