Temp registration transport via Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2014, 02:48 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Temp registration transport via Canada

We're picking up our new Scamp 13 in Backus in June and planning our first FGRV experience on a five day trip via the trans-Canada hwy on our way back to Vermont. We'll be traveling with whatever temporary registration and tags Scamp provides. The Scamp folks don't think there will be any problem returning through Canada on this basis, but don't seem certain. Anyone have experience with this situation? If we get turned back at Sault Ste Marie customs it will be a long backtrack to take a U.S route. Thanks.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Might be a better question for Canadian customs...

Meanwhile:
I'm not understanding what you mean by "the temporary registration and tags" that Scamp gives you. Won't you be the first registered owner, and need something from the State you intend to register/Title it in???
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:23 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Manufacturers that deliver at their facility usually have the ability to issue a temporary license & registration for their state that is valid for a short period of time for transiting, until permanent tags and papers are obtained in the buyers state of record.

However, in some states this registration is only valid for direct transit and not for an included vacation and crossing into Canada should be checked three different ways (Issuing state, Canada and home state) before heading that way.

The buyer may also have to have proof of insurance, with the new trailers tag & VIN, issued and emailed for the buyer to print out.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Here is what I think *may* happen when you try and cross into Canada & they notice the trailer is on a temp permit - You will be grilled big time for attempting to bring an unregister uninsured trailering into the country. Be warned *big* fines & the vehicle or trailer impounded at roadside for having an uninsured vehicle/trailer in most if not all provinces in Canada.

Should you get lucky and the Canadian customs does not notice your temp permit - be warned they often ask going both ways for your trailers licence plate number which they input into their computer system, you may have yourself a real BIG hassle getting it back into the USA....... because now you will be trying to re import an unregistered trailer into the USA without any import documents.

I would call both the Canadian Border officials at the border you intend to cross over into Canada at and ask them what may happen. I would also call the USA border officials at the border you intend to cross back into the USA at.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Scamp will provide a certificate of origin which you will surrender to your DMV to obtain a title. AFAIK... the rest is up to you.
Check with the Vermont DMV.
In Illinois, unless you are buying from a dealer, you have a number of days for transport prior to title and registration. We simply towed our new Scamp home with the receipt and Certificate of Origin. Then went in the next week and to the SOS office(our DMV) and took care of the Title and registration over the counter.
BTW...Scamp is NOT a dealer.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:08 PM   #6

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Here's a thought- I'm lookin' at Vermont's rules for registering new vehicles purchased from out-of-State dealers. Looks to me like it's all paperwork- no inspection etc. Why not try to get it all done before you go get the trailer and then just show up at the factory with your spankin' new plate/registration, all in your own name already? Surely Scamp would send you the necessary paperwork....

Link to Vermont rules
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:21 PM   #7

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
I agree. I think I would get the registration and tags before pickup and/or ((trying)) to making the Canada crossing. Or, just don't go through Canada.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:49 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Manufacturers that deliver at their facility usually have the ability to issue a temporary license & registration for their state that is valid for a short period of time for transiting, until permanent tags and papers are obtained in the buyers state of record.

However, in some states this registration is only valid for direct transit and not for an included vacation and crossing into Canada should be checked three different ways (Issuing state, Canada and home state) before heading that way.

The buyer may also have to have proof of insurance, with the new trailers tag & VIN, issued and emailed for the buyer to print out.
Don't tell me....In California they require insurance on travel trailers??
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:06 PM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The above comment was based on a Canadian requirement for trailer insurance. Without proof of insurance they may not let you across the border.

In California, as in most states I am sure, some form of liability insurance is required for anything on the public hiway. Most auto policies cover liability on travel trailers.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:19 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Don't tell me....In California they require insurance on travel trailers??
Well here in BC Canada we sure do! Just as most provinces do

Trailer has its own plates and has to carry the bare min. following insurance:

1) $200,000 in Third-Party Liability coverage protects you when you’re at fault in a crash and another motorist makes a claim against you for injury costs and vehicle damage.
2)Accident Benefits provide up to $150,000 in medical and rehabilitation costs for you, your passengers and members of your household if you’re injured in a crash, even if you’re at fault.
3)Underinsured Motorist Protection. Claims of up to $1 million per person will be paid in the event of crash if anyone is injured or killed.
4) Hit & Run or uninsured Motorist Protection up to $200,000 for damages, injures or death.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:26 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
The above comment was based on a Canadian requirement for trailer insurance. Without proof of insurance they may not let you across the border.

In California, as in most states I am sure, some form of liability insurance is required for anything on the public hiway. Most auto policies cover liability on travel trailers.
While we do have to carry the same basic min. insurance of all auto's (but most people carry far more than the min. requirement) and the trailer is covered by the autos insurance when attached to the auto. The insurance for the trailer is to cover it when its not attached to the tug. I.E. it takes a roll on its own in a campground and damages another vehicle or runs over someone. Or someone backs into it and damages it while its parked in a campground.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:44 AM   #12

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The best advice is to get temporary tags from your home state, Vermont.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:27 AM   #13
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Last time I checked Vermont DMV doesn't issue temp plates. They told me to slap an old plate on it and hope for the best.

You can register without having the trailer in your possesion with a manufacturers certificate of origin. To get a certificate of origin you will have to pay Scamp in full. Take that to DMV. If the published weight on the certificate is less than 1500 lbs and you put that on the registration application, they will take your certificate of origin and issue a registration and a small plate. No title or inspection for trailers less than 1500 lbs. If you are over 1500 lbs then you will get a title and a large plate. Next you get to pay someone $40 to check your lights and put on an inspection sticker. That has to be done within 15 days, I think? Also the registration fee is twice the cost. Bear in mind, with the legislature in session all this could change at any time . Enjoy your new Scamp. We'll keep an eye out for you. Raz

p.s. For going into Canada we called our insurance agent and he sent a proof of insurance card that stated we satisfied the Canadian requirements. We had no issues crossing the border in either direction.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:44 PM   #14

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Appreciate all the replies. Many good comments and cautions here. Getting the Vt registration and plates in advance seems the safest route to avoid issues with the Canadian authorities. My only hesitation is writing that large check to Scamp well in advance of seeing what I'm purchasing. I guess it's the old fashioned farmer in me - wanting to kick the tires before handing over the cash. Maybe I just need to get over it. Thanks.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:03 PM   #15
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDavidG View Post
Appreciate all the replies. Many good comments and cautions here. Getting the Vt registration and plates in advance seems the safest route to avoid issues with the Canadian authorities. My only hesitation is writing that large check to Scamp well in advance of seeing what I'm purchasing. I guess it's the old fashioned farmer in me - wanting to kick the tires before handing over the cash. Maybe I just need to get over it. Thanks.
Like you i would prefer to see things first. Staying in the area is a good idea should something need attention. I would suggest going out through Canada and returning through the states. That way you can "kick the tires" . We went through Ontario and up through Michigan last fall. Going south is only a day or so longer. There are lots of great campgrounds in either direction. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
registration