Temporary tag needed for Parkliner Camper? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2014, 06:37 AM   #1

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Parkliner
Alabama
Temporary tag needed for Parkliner Camper?

I will be picking my new Parkliner Camper up this month. Will I need to get a temporary tag to transport it home? For those of you who have purchased a Parkliner please share your experience in this area - Many thanks! Kevin
Kevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:45 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Kevin
Check with your State DMV for a trip permit. In VA you can get a 3 day trip permit on line for $5 to bring your trailer home. All you need is your VIN#. But each state is different. You may also want to insure it before hitting the road, again you will need your VIN.
Eddie
FWIW: I have pulled many trailers down the road with trip permits taped in the back window and have never been stopped.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:10 AM   #3

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Check with Chandler, he handled my temporary tag. I live in VA, so I don't know if he can do it for your state.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:13 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
You may have 20 days to get it registered. Check with your local DMV to verify. You will need your Bill of Sale and Certificate of Origin from PL.
Alabama Department of Revenue - Motor Vehicles
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:39 AM   #5

Alabama
Thanks so much for the quick responses and great advise!!
Old 04-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #6

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevind View Post
I will be picking my new Parkliner Camper up this month. Will I need to get a temporary tag to transport it home? For those of you who have purchased a Parkliner please share your experience in this area - Many thanks! Kevin
Chandler had a NC temporary tag ready for us when we picked ours up last year. He taped it to the inside of the back window rather than putting it on the plate bracket since it is only cardboard and would probably be torn off by the wind. We had requested the VIN number from Chandler in advance so we could have our insurance carrier write coverage for the PL. Had no problem towing back to NY with the temporary tag. The only problem was going to DMV with the Certificate of Origin and Bill of Sale and having to cough up the 8% New York State sales tax plus an extra $50 title fee to register it in NY. Your experience may vary.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:39 AM   #7

Alabama
Thanks for the info Brian!
Old 04-12-2014, 07:28 PM   #8

Name: Jane
Maryland
Hi Kevin, Last Saturday I drove my new Parkliner home. I love the trailer, it pulled nicely, friends stop by to check it out - all is good....now. It was suppose to be ready on the 29th, I drove down Friday March 28 (fortunately staying with friends), got to Gibsonville at 10 on the 29th as stated and the cushions were not finished. Chandler was very apologetic, and asked if I could come back at 1:00. OK. Last August when I ordered it, I checked off what I wanted on their sheet, then updated it with an email to Cameron last October. Once Tom started contacting me this year, I forwarded the email to him and Chandler to make sure they had the changes. No one had read the list - only the material color I requested. The big change was the Maxx Air Fan. Chandler was very, again, very apologetic. To stand by his product he added the fan plus other changes at no cost. Then drove to Monticello (which is about half way from my house in MD to Gibsonville). I do totally support his business and recommend the Parkliner to friends - but just be aware that you need to verify that they have any changes you may have requested - not just a reply to your email that they received your message. Good luck with your purchase and enjoy!! Jane
jayteehike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:31 PM   #9

Name: Jane
Maryland
Oh yes, the tag - as stated above, Chandler had the tag taped to the inside of the back window. The issue I had was getting tags in MD - they don't like a trailer being purchased from the Manufacturer. I only had to wait another 15 minutes to see a supervisor, so it wasn't so bad. Now all should be set. Just need to get the Weight Distribution Hitch and sway bars on. That being said, it pulled nicely behind my RAV4 for 140 miles. Jane
jayteehike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:01 AM   #10

Alabama
Hi Jane,
Thanks so much for taking the time to post your experience with so much detail. It seems everyone that has purchased a Parkliner appreciates the camper. This website has been an excellent way for me to research my choice. Everyone is so helpful. I will be picking mine up on friday and will share my experience on this site. I hope I have a good one to share!! Again, thanks so much for the post. Any other info you want to share I welcome. Have a great day - Kevin
Old 04-14-2014, 07:52 PM   #11

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I do not know what the statute of limitations is on towing without (temporary) tags, but over a year ago I was getting nowhere trying to figure out who (which state DMV) would give them to me, and when I could pick them up, so I towed without, just with the title and bill of sale in my hand. I bought my Scamp from a private owner who did not have any tags - he never towed it! One day trip, 460 miles across five states. When I needed to have the VIN verified, the cops adhered to what seemed to be a "don't ask don't tell" policy about how I got it home. ("No, no, do not tow it to us, it would not be legal, we'll come by to read the number.")
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:37 PM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
I do not know what the statute of limitations is on towing without (temporary) tags,
The statute of limitations on it is as long as you didn't get caught actually doing it. Here if they stop you its an automatic $585 fine no questions asked and they will tow the trailer away which you would have to pay the fee for doing.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #13

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
...automatic $585 fine no questions asked and they will tow the trailer away which you would have to pay the fee for doing.
In one year I towed about 15k miles, and have not seen any trailers pulled over on the highway. How often does it happen?
My only dealing with police that is Scamp related was in Denver where we parked in front of my son's house for a few days. A neighborhood informer reported that somebody is sleeping in the camper "on the street". The cop was very friendly and told us we just need to move it into the driveway. And, he liked the Scamp!
Old 04-15-2014, 11:39 PM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
How often does it happen?
Well it happens as frequently as it happens with cars and thats pretty well anytime a police officer pulls up behind you and notices that the colour of the tag on your licence plate is one that has expired. The tags are affixed to your rear licence plate with month and day it expires - each month of the year has a different colour so they know pretty fast just looking at the colour & date of the month number above it. A member of my home got caught on the morning after their tags expired.... didn't even drive the car more than an hour before stopped. They had simple forgotten to stop a buy their new insurance/tags the day before. Car towed and the fine given. The police will also take a look at the plate tags when ever they have a road block for Drinking or seat belts or these days cellphone check .
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:02 AM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Interesting side posts folks but the OP ask about temp tags to get home with their new rig. Only two people answered his question. Chandler had the tags ready for the new owners for their trip home. Sounds like Kevin only needs to contact Chandler and everything will be good to go.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:31 AM   #16

Colorado
In general, it would be nice if there was a grace period for completion of a private sale. Say a day or two or, for the cops to show leniency. Those who sell trailers as a business sure have the process of providing temporary tags down pat, but a private buyer may chase his tail figuring it out.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:57 AM   #17

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I brought a current trailer plate with me when we bought ParkLiner #006. The plate was off my boat trailer, but the bottom line is you're not gonna get checked unless lights aren't working, you are driving way too fast, or somebody runs into you.

Actually, I still have the boat trailer plate on #006. I need to get it back on my boat trailer, and get a new plate for #006. Soon!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:12 AM   #18

Name: Tammie
Trailer: ParkLiner
Alabama
Our ParkLiner came with a temporary tag as Brian described, taped in the rear window. It was a a cardboard placard, issued by the state of North Carolina, listing ParkLiner, Inc as the dealer. It's good for 30 days, plenty of time to get to the DMV in your home state. Since we applied for a personalized tag, our state issued us another temporary tag that we taped in the window. Our first trip was about 900 miles round trip through Alabama and Florida, no problems even though the temporary tag was barely visible through the tinted window.
Tammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:18 AM   #19

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
... The tags are affixed to your rear licence plate with month and day it expires - each month of the year has a different colour so they know pretty fast just looking at the colour & date of the month number above it. ....
Same rules apply in our province for the tow vehicle. Our trailer license plates are different as they do not require annual renewals or expiry tags (at least for the two trailers I own).

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:24 PM   #20

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
I brought a current trailer plate with me when we bought ParkLiner #006.
So close, you could not make them give you a double-oh-seven? "The name is Bond, James Bond." What will you name your 006?

Tags
parkliner