tent top - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2017, 10:42 AM   #1

Name: Scott
Trailer: Hunter
Missouri
tent top

Is there anybody making or sale a tent top for a Hunter Compact 2. I picked up this camper a few months ago and the top is still there but in bad shape. Not having any luck finding someone to make another one for me.
sivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:22 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Try canvasreplacements.com, they don't list Hunter Compact but may be willing to custom make what you need. Maybe even you could convince them there is a market for them.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:46 PM   #3

Missouri
Thanks, I contacted them and I'm waiting on a quote and a time frame
Old 04-26-2017, 02:53 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Scott; did they know what a Hunter Compact is, or did you have to give them the specs on what you need? Hope it works out for you.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:30 PM   #5

Name: Kathy
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Oregon
be careful with the top

If you find some place to make a new one they will need to have the old one for a pattern.
There are places that make boat covers that may be able to help you out.
Kathaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:35 AM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivy View Post
Is there anybody making or sale a tent top for a Hunter Compact 2. I picked up this camper a few months ago and the top is still there but in bad shape. Not having any luck finding someone to make another one for me.
Finding speciality services online is all about having the right keywords. In this case those keywords are "missouri custom canvas tent work" . I found more companies than the ones listed below but had to stop researching as there are so many of them. Seems like custom canvas work is a very popular small business in your state

Here are companies for you to contact. Services | Jefferson Tent & Awning Co. - Saint Louis, Missouri

http://www.mallorycanvas.com/

Weiser Tent Service – Turning any event into an Elite Event!

Home
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:30 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathaleen View Post
If you find some place to make a new one they will need to have the old one for a pattern.
There are places that make boat covers that may be able to help you out.
When I was a kid I remember my mom making a new top for our small Coleman camper. She used the old one as a pattern and it took weeks for her to sew...now all this was done in a 5 room apartment with a family of 5 kids....but she did it and sew can you
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:13 AM   #8

Missouri
I can already see that this is going to be a great community to be in. I have a lot to learn about this camper that I have now.

Thanks for the new websites in Missouri, Ill start checking them out today!

And yes I have been giving it some thought on sewing it myself, I think my sister has my grandmothers old sewing machine.
I didn't know if anyone made them already or not.

Thanks again!
Old 04-27-2017, 04:23 AM   #9

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Scott; did they know what a Hunter Compact is, or did you have to give them the specs on what you need? Hope it works out for you.
When I talk to them they had know idea what I was talking about. Had to send them pictures, they said they would get back with me today
Old 04-27-2017, 12:16 PM   #10

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Finding speciality services online is all about having the right keywords. In this case those keywords are "missouri custom canvas tent work" . I found more companies than the ones listed below but had to stop researching as there are so many of them. Seems like custom canvas work is a very popular small business in your state

Here are companies for you to contact. Services | Jefferson Tent & Awning Co. - Saint Louis, Missouri

http://www.mallorycanvas.com/

Weiser Tent Service – Turning any event into an Elite Event!

Home
Called and talk to these company's today and no one does this kind of work. They won't do little projects anymore.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:24 PM   #11

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Karin Corbin has a good writeup on making one for a Campster, which is very similar. You can do windows and all or just make it as a straight fabric, no windows. I like the windows but I've seen a lot of tops done with none. Other places to check to see if they'll do it- marine canvas shops, VW restorers (they might know who does, they are similar to the original camper tops VW had).
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:44 PM   #12

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Karin Corbin has a good writeup on making one for a Campster, which is very similar. You can do windows and all or just make it as a straight fabric, no windows. I like the windows but I've seen a lot of tops done with none. Other places to check to see if they'll do it- marine canvas shops, VW restorers (they might know who does, they are similar to the original camper tops VW had).
Thanks Bobbie, I'll check it out