Testing My Ice Chest Air Conditioner - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-03-2014, 07:01 AM   #15

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Block ice should last longer then cubed. I just camp where either a.c. is available or can run my generator when it's so beastly outside....like today...at 6:30am was 72' and humid as hell!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:13 AM   #16

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Block ice should last longer then cubed. I just camp where either a.c. is available or can run my generator when it's so beastly outside....like today...at 6:30am was 72' and humid as hell!
I don't know if all NS campgrounds are like this, but the NPS campgrounds on Outer Banks have a 9 pm noise curfew, so no generators after 9.

On the Outer Banks, most RVs are jammed into the commercial campgrounds, but I much prefer the large NPS campgrounds. But the tradeoff is no electricity.

I just switched out the 4" fan and put in a 10" one. Only problem is I can't find the 12v power cord for it. (Found it. Don't remember putting it there)

ETA: I think you are right that block ice would last longer, but that is probably the opposite of what I want. I want lots of surface area to run the air over and transfer the cold quickly. I would rather all the ice is gone in about 4 hours, so I get max cooling between 8 pm and midnight.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:35 AM   #17

Virginia
New test today.

Using 10" fan instead of 4" fan. Set fan on high.Fan in mounted in the cooler lid. Moved out flow to side about half way down side. 4 1 liter frozen bottles. I put 2 in front of hole.

Also plugged in an additional fan just to move air around in trailer.

At 9:30 am, temperature inside trailer was 80 degrees and outside temperature was also 80 degrees.

10:30 am. temperature inside still 80, outside temperature 81. Turned the fan to low to allow the air a little more time in the cooler.

11:30 am. Temperature inside 84, outside temp 82. Turned off other fan. Cooler just can't keep up with heat buildup.

12:30 pm. Temperature inside 90, outside temp 88.

Ended experiment. It seems that my cooler is having little to no effect.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The one I bought commercially, here Amazon.com: 12 Volt 12v Portable Air Conditioner for Ice Cooler Chest: Automotive
worked great with crushed ice, lasted about 4 hours.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:15 AM   #19

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Casita patriot
Colorado
I will drape the Aluminet right over the Casita without scaffolding. The Aluminet is a knitted reflective fabric that does allow air flow so I will still be able to use my fan.
I'm still working on my cooler ac but my plan is to put the fan in the top on one side and inlet at the bottom on the side opposite the fan. I have four wide mouth rectangular juice jugs that fit nicely in the cooler. I can freeze water in them before the trip or put purchased ice in them later or just use bags of ice.
I'm building mine mainly to make sure the dogs stay comfortable....also, I just love a new project!!
Huck, please keep me posted on your progress and discoveries. I have all the parts for mine, but have not drilled holes yet, so still time to make changes. Sure appreciate your input.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:49 AM   #20

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
When you sought ideas recently I thought about suggesting a swamp cooler like this, but figured the humidity in that area would probably be too high for it to work effectively. People do use these things with some modest success in the desert southwest.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #21

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
I think crushed ice is your best bet; add salt so it melts faster (as when you make ice cream) and you'll get more cooling. However, I doubt it will cool the air inside as much as you can blow a cooling stream on yourself.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #22

Virginia
I'd say, the cooler has been a bust. I may play with the design some, but it appears a cooler full of ice just doesn't provide enough cooling to make much, if any, difference. If you want to sit about 6" from it you will feel a cool breeze, but that's about it.

I guess the next logical thing to look at is ways to keep the heat out.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:14 PM   #23

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
best bet then would be to rig some kind of a sun shade over the ParkLiner.... or find a campground with power or allows generators...or go there when its not quite as hot.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #24

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
What about dry ice?

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:35 PM   #25

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2yax2go View Post
What about dry ice?
If you can tell me how to vent it, and transfer the cold from dry ice to the air, I'm all for it.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #26

Virginia
I ran the ac (5000 btu) on max for an hour. It cooled the inside temperature 2 degrees - from 92 to 90. Outside temp is 91.

If a 5000 btu ac can only cool the trailer down 2 degrees, not much hope for a cooler.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:31 PM   #27

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
I'd say start with more insulation. I'm not sure you can make a small trailer comfy in 91 degree weather but more insulation, and a reflective canopy or tarp overhead, might go a long way. For more comfortable sleeping look at a bed like this (made for dogs!) to put over the mattress. Amazon.com : K&H Cool Bed III Cooling Dog Bed, Large, 32-Inches by 44-Inches, Gray : Pet Beds : Pet Supplies That plus a fan might keep a sleeper comfortable. But what do you do during the day if it is that hot outside?
Old 07-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #28

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
I recall one road trip driving through the desert near Las Vegas in +100F temps in a car with no air conditioning. Worked wonders putting a small block of ice inside my baseball cap and allowing it to melt on top of my head.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote