Testing My Ice Chest Air Conditioner - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #29
Junior Member
 
Trailer: Snoozy
Florida
Posts: 18
If you have access to ice you might consider one of the cool shirt systems. Will keep you cool and work on 12 volts. It just won't keep the trailer cool.
__________________

__________________
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:48 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Mike Magee's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 5,143
Maybe a wet cloth around the neck?

Watch out for Hurricane Arthur, coming up the coast now.
__________________

__________________
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:08 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Posts: 573
I used my laser thermometer to try to find where the most heat was coming from.
  • Overhead Vent - closed: 107 degrees. Just opening it up dropped the temp at vent by about 10 degrees.
  • Fan - Closed and Off: 120 degrees. Opening it dropped to same level as vent.
  • Windows 95 degrees
  • Walls 90 degrees
  • Ceiling 93 degrees
  • Bathroom - I think it was about 85. I didn't write it down, but it was substantially cooler than the rest of the trailer.
So I think that suggests at least cracking the vent and fan vent and using some type of heat block on the windows.

I have a roll of Gila Heat Control Window Film I bought several years ago and never used. I think I will give it a try. It has a pretty good rating on Amazon.
__________________
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:23 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Mike Magee's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 5,143
Interesting observations, Huck. That made me wonder if my Maxx Air vent cover was helping any with the temp in my vent area. It isn't. Like you, I got 111 degrees at the closed and covered vent, while the main interior is 95*. Maybe I should get some Reflectix, or something, for those vents.
__________________
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:07 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Posts: 1,418
Get rid of the plastic bottles and put the ice in aluminium. It will transfer the cool much better. Better yet run a cooling coil into your ice chest and pump cool fluid to a coil in your bed as a heat exchanger. Recirculate the fluid in a loop and it will cool you directly.
__________________
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:03 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Borrego Dave's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Posts: 2,924
Good one Steve, kind of like a Nascar cool suit.
__________________
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:26 AM   #35
Commercial Member
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Posts: 657
Has any one tried the misting fan they sell at costco for 50 bucks .it sprays a super fine mist of distilled water they claim it will cool the interior of a car by 15 degrees. Was thinking of getting one but wondered if any one tried it first it is not very big it would easily sit on the counter or table
__________________
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:16 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
Has any one tried the misting fan they sell at costco for 50 bucks .it sprays a super fine mist of distilled water they claim it will cool the interior of a car by 15 degrees. Was thinking of getting one but wondered if any one tried it first it is not very big it would easily sit on the counter or table
I'm guessing in dry humidity it would help.
__________________
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:29 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Posts: 573
I came across this - Gel'O Cool Pillow Mat. Has pretty good reviews on Amazon.

Quote:
Gel'O Cool Pillow Mat works to help disperse the heat away from your body, thus keeping the body at a comfortable temperature. Unlike traditional pillows it does not retain heat in one spot, but redistributes and dissipates the heat from parts of the mat that is not in contact with the body.
I think I might test one out. It's small enough I could put it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours before going to bed.
__________________
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:16 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Interesting observations, Huck. That made me wonder if my Maxx Air vent cover was helping any with the temp in my vent area. It isn't. Like you, I got 111 degrees at the closed and covered vent, while the main interior is 95*. Maybe I should get some Reflectix, or something, for those vents.
Is there a possibility the reflextix will melt the plastic vent cover?

ETA: I just did a search on rv vent insulate and found Camco 45192 Sunshield Vent Insulator with/without Reflective Surface.
  • Fits standard 14" RV vents
  • Reflective surface blocks the sun's damaging rays
  • Full 2.75" of foam to help stop heat transfer
  • Durable and easy to store
  • Keep your RV cooler in the Summer and warmer in the Winter
Camco 45195

https://images.etrailer.com/Merchant...-CAM45195.webm

ETA 2: From looking at my vents, I don't think either of these vent insulators will work for me. Has anyone used a vent insulator on their fgrv
__________________
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Dan Meyer's Avatar
 
Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Posts: 559
A 12,000 BTU air conditioner has the cooling capacity equal to melting one ton of ice into water in 24 hours. That would be melting 83 pounds of ice, or about 10.6 gallons of water every hour.

I don't think you used a big enough ice chest. 8-)

See Ton of refrigeration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more information.

-- Dan Meyer
__________________
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:56 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meyer View Post
A 12,000 BTU air conditioner has the cooling capacity equal to melting one ton of ice into water in 24 hours. That would be melting 83 pounds of ice, or about 10.6 gallons of water every hour.

I don't think you used a big enough ice chest. 8-)

See Ton of refrigeration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more information.

-- Dan Meyer
Let's say I put up a curtain to limit the space to be cooled. Let's say only cooling about 40 sq ft or 100 cu ft. A 5000 btu ac is rated to cool a 150 sq ft room. 40/150 x 5000 is 1,333 btu. So a little over 1000 btu will cool 40 sq ft. 1,333 x 83/12,000 = 9.2 lbs ice/hr.

That's why I tried to find a dry ice solution. I believe dry ice has 3 times the cooling power of ice, so 15 lbs of dry ice would cool 40 sq ft for about 4 - 5 hours.
__________________
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:03 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Dan Meyer's Avatar
 
Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Posts: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
Let's say I put up a curtain to limit the space to be cooled. Let's say only cooling about 40 sq ft or 100 cu ft. A 5000 btu ac is rated to cool a 150 sq ft room. 40/150 x 5000 is 1,333 btu. So a little over 1000 btu will cool 40 sq ft. 1,333 x 83/12,000 = 9.2 lbs ice/hr.

That's why I tried to find a dry ice solution. I believe dry ice has 3 times the cooling power of ice, so 15 lbs of dry ice would cool 40 sq ft for about 4 - 5 hours.
You have the right idea. Figure out how to make the heat in your space melt a little over a gallon of ice per hour, and you are all set!

FWIW, the 7100 BTU A/C on the roof of my Scamp 16 will freeze you out in 'most any heat.

-- Dan Meyer
__________________
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:35 AM   #42
Senior Member
 
Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meyer View Post
FWIW, the 7100 BTU A/C on the roof of my Scamp 16 will freeze you out in 'most any heat.

-- Dan Meyer
The 5000 btu ac in my Parkliner won't. But after I finish putting up sun screen on the windows and insulate the vents I bet it does.
__________________

__________________
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A chest solar refrigerator Lynn Musgrave General Chat 20 02-05-2014 05:43 PM
Ice ice baby - an alternative to traditional a/c or hocus pocus? glamourpets Modifications, Alterations and Updates 24 02-02-2013 09:38 AM
First automobile air conditioner. Rick kl Jokes, Stories & Tall Tales 1 05-29-2009 10:36 PM
Air Conditioner on a Generator Parker Buckley Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 13 05-06-2009 06:15 PM
Testing, Testing Roddy D Forum Admin, News & Announcements 2 06-29-2008 03:06 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.