That darn Campster door (just like Compact) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2009, 12:03 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I had to replace the lock when I got locked out.

I found a mobile home lock to fit. It worked great, seemed fine, locked up tight. Then I went on the road (darn bumpy I5 through King County) and it opened. (Imagine me pulled over on the express lanes trying to figure out how to close the door- finally used Adhesive Velcro that I had in a drawer in the trailer.)

Here's the problem, now. It seems just fine when I'm not driving. I can't pull or jostle it open. It is NOT fine driving. But I can't fix it if it aint broke when I'm trying to fix it. So it seems the best bet is just some kind of on-the-road latch system (a bit more reliable than Velcro) to hold it closed. Any suggestions? I want it easy to open once I get to my destination and easy to use so I don't skip using it.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:08 PM   #2

Trailer: Compact Jr
Bobbie, i have a 72 compact jr and can imagine if it just had a regular door knob on it that it might fly open going down the road. But what my camper has is a household deadbolt above the standard door knob. You can get them at any lowes or home depot or even wal mart. most are around $10.00. I have not pulld my camper verry far yet as I just got it last winter and have not used it yet this seasson. we will be taking it to Wisconsin over the 4 th of july. I dont think it will be a problame. the dead bolt has a long enough bolt so eny amount of bouncing or twisting side to side should not let it fall open. Plus you have the added safety of haing a sturdy lock on it.
Heath G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
hummm. I'm wondering if the frame is flexing (like cracked somewhere), or a cross-member missing? Or the body has lost a fastener or two and is flexing? If you can't open it when it's parked, it shouldn't open going down the road ... I wouldn't think.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:32 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I have the same style door on my Fiber Stream. It is just like the one I had on the Compact Jr. only a little taller. My local RV parts store carries red rubber bungee loops that screw into the door frame and slip over the knob. I have one outside and 3 inside to keep all of the cabinet/closet/bathroom doors somewhat closed while bouncing down the road...
Attached Thumbnails
Door_Bungee.jpg  
Old 06-21-2009, 05:37 PM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I think there must be some kind of up and down play as the trailer bounces on the road. Fred, that's just what I need, I'll have to look for one. I had the same problem with the lock that came on the trailer initially but then I replaced it with the ill-fated second lock.

I did remove a double strike plate (there were two but the door wouldn't latch with both in place.) That may have been the problem- the second may be what keeps it from popping open. But at any rate I think that doorknob holder would solve my problem.

Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campster