The "C" Word...... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2008, 08:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 77 Scamp
CAULK...there I said it...now befor the poo hits the fan here is my question......Scamp and seams between ensolite....I hate the foam tape, its ugly, it falls down in warm weather, and I'm running out of projects. So I'm to lazy to to the master research. Any advice. Do I paint the ensolite first then caulk so as to not "trap" water behind the ensolite or do I caulk then fluff with a sponge then paint and pray that I never get a water leak that I may have just trapped behind the ensolite.......advice please I will take notes and listen!!!

Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
CAULK...there I said it...now befor the poo hits the fan here is my question......Scamp and seams between ensolite....I hate the foam tape, its ugly, it falls down in warm weather, and I'm running out of projects. So I'm to lazy to to the master research. Any advice. Do I paint the ensolite first then caulk so as to not "trap" water behind the ensolite or do I caulk then fluff with a sponge then paint and pray that I never get a water leak that I may have just trapped behind the ensolite.......advice please I will take notes and listen!!!
Hi: Brandy... Caulk(paintable latex) type/ Stipple(blend in) with wet paper towel/Paint(latex kit./bath) works great in that order!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I couldn't stand the tape. Got rid of it last spring and caulked as Alf says with paintable caulk. Easy to do, took about an hour, let dry and paint.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:55 AM   #4

any concerns with "trapping" water behind....now as it stands IF *knock on fiberglass* I get a leak I could pull back the sticky tape and see a water trail....with caulk am I creating more of a problem by trapping it IF IF IF I get a leak?

Quote:
I couldn't stand the tape. Got rid of it last spring and caulked as Alf says with paintable caulk. Easy to do, took about an hour, let dry and paint.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:06 AM   #5

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
If your egg 'springs a leak' what does it matter IF you have to pull back seam tape or chalk? Just for a second here, I had a brain fart and thought.... <span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><span style="font-family:Times New Roman">Jello !!</span></span>
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:34 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
We got rid of the ugly tape in our Boler 3 years ago and put in paintable silicone. Then painted over and it made an AMAZING difference. The tape wasn't falling out or anything, but it was still the first thing that caught the eye when you looked inside. Now the finish is smooth and only noticeable if you are looking right at it. We've never had an issue with leaks, but should it happen, we would have to tear back the ensolite whether there was tape or not.
Dianne Dohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:52 AM   #7

okay one more I see someone said interior paint..but the egg is just as cold as the outside temp when not in use....granted I don't live in minnasota but its still cold enough...
Old 10-23-2008, 10:43 AM   #8

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I think "indoor" and "outdoor" paint is more about UV rays than about temperature. That said, there's no reason you couldn't use outdoor paint on the inside, but it's probably unnecessary.

I have not had occasion to use them yet, but I'm hearing raves about the (relatively) new Acrylic Latex Enamel indoor paints (friends have used it on the inside of boats - where conditions are certainly less benign than in most houses - and report long term success).

Note:With either indoor or outdoor paint, the surface has to be warm when you apply the paint. A friend once painted inside apartment walls in winter, and because the unit was unoccupied they had the heat turned down low (especially overnight), so the paint didn't have a chance to dry on a warm wall. They came back the next morning and all the paint had "slid" down to the floor! Oops!
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:08 AM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Quote:
okay one more I see someone said interior paint..but the egg is just as cold as the outside temp when not in use....granted I don't live in minnasota but its still cold enough...
I don't remember exactly what paint we used, but it was definitely an ordinary indoor paint. We live in Alberta (a little further north and west than Minnasota!) and there as been no fading or peeling. It still looks as clean and perfect as it did when we put it on. I did choose to prime it first, but I know others who didn't prime and got just as good results. All based in northern climates too!
Dianne Dohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:43 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Quote:
.... They came back the next morning and all the paint had "slid" down to the floor! Oops!
unless it was your paint job..... that would be funny to watch in fast forward video or time lapse photo's

that would be a great comedy sketch too. Treat the wall with something nothing will stick too, tell them the wall is prepped for paint and then watch the painters go nuts trying to figure out why an hour later their paint peels off the walls in sheets.
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:56 AM   #11

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Cruel!

(But funny )

I always loved Candid Camera - although I would have died if they'd found me.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote