Old 08-08-2016, 10:56 PM   #1

Name: Robin
Trailer: Surf Side TM14 1974
Alberta
Registry
Question The Elusive Bargman L400

Hi guys

Door Latch Bargman L400 for a Surf Side TM14 1974

I am wondering if anyone knows where I can start looking for one of these that doesn't cost 500$. I know that is an impossible task but I thought maybe someone could point me in the right direction and I could do the leg work. Where would you even look for this? I was thinking of calling RV stores however I notice they mostly sell newer model parts, maybe thats a waste of time!? I am in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. We are almost finished the paint job on our reno and need to be able to look it up soon. So I'm thinking I need local as well since I cant wait for a long time with shipping.

Thank you so much

Robin

Old 08-08-2016, 11:30 PM   #2

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
The lady who had hers broken by the border person:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robs View Post
Hi guys

Door Latch Bargman L400 for a Surf Side TM14 1974

I am wondering if anyone knows where I can start looking for one of these that doesn't cost 500$. I know that is an impossible task but I thought maybe someone could point me in the right direction and I could do the leg work. Where would you even look for this? I was thinking of calling RV stores however I notice they mostly sell newer model parts, maybe thats a waste of time!? I am in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. We are almost finished the paint job on our reno and need to be able to look it up soon. So I'm thinking I need local as well since I cant wait for a long time with shipping.

Thank you so much

Robin
: Isent her a location that had a brand new one in the box for sale for $400. and there was another in same area good used for $100.
I believe I saw them on the Kalispell CL in Oregon area She loaded up the way to get there but as I'm not all that computer literate I just forgot about them. I found them by looking through things like I usually do and when I find something I pass the info on to the person, but I cannot give more than the ID# and location until I get home and find it much easier to move items around on my home computer not this laptop which is basically a Typewriter.
Stude

Old 08-09-2016, 08:08 AM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
If you are painting the trailer, I would patch the hole for the L400 and put in a new lock which can be had for $50 locally.

You could try Murphy's Rv Parts in Josephberg just east of Fort Saskatchewan. They have a lot of used stuff. They had a Ventura there the other day but its owned by a staff member(they used the l400).
Old 08-09-2016, 08:14 AM   #4

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
If you are painting the trailer, I would patch the hole for the L400 and put in a new lock which can be had for $50 locally.
I 100% agree with David. If you getting ready to paint, NOW is the time to change that lock to something not so obscure. Don't make more work for yourself in the future.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:08 AM   #5

Alberta
Registry
The l400 is actually a poorly made and easy to break lock and the only reason people want them is they fit the hole. FIC makes a lock that is cheap and has a deadbolt included for $26 USD. Buy a fiberglass repair kit and fill the hole and cut a new opening for the FIC and you're good to go.

BTW I am in Edmonton as well.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:50 PM   #6

Name: Robin
Trailer: Surf Side TM14 1974
Alberta
Registry
Question Good Points!

Thank you for all your advice! I agree prob a good idea now to just ind a new fit and patch since we will avoid all headaches in the future.
One of the reasons we were looking for the l400 was that it looked authentic and fit the look of the trailer. Do you have any suggestions for brands that blend nicely into a 1974 model without looking out of place?

Robin
Old 08-09-2016, 08:25 PM   #7

Alberta
Registry
here is a trimark latch on a trillium, I think the FIC latches area copy and come in black white and chrome
L400 replacement
Old 08-09-2016, 09:33 PM   #8

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit 17
British Columbia
We are just in the process off putting a similar one on our Scamp, great price at $9.95 plus shipping but unfortunately I don't think they ship to Canada.
New RV Paddle Entry Door Lock Latch Handle Knob Deadbolt | eBay
Old 08-10-2016, 05:07 AM   #9

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
All the square paddle handle locksets are very similar in size and shape. Just be aware of two things when shopping. Some have a lot more plastic construction, where others are mostly metal. Too, if you see a really cheap lockset, ask yourself "is it a Fastec version of the Trimark design"? About three years ago, there was a huge recall on the Fastec due to the set locking itself. The recall replaced the lock cylinder.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:38 AM   #10

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit 17
British Columbia
Yes, you are right Donna the inexpensive ones like I linked is metal according to my hubby (edited) and Fastec. However it is not under the recall and I figured it is such a step up from the Scamp one plus many RV manufacturers use them including Escape for many years and Casita that I am in good company.
As we all know it is so easy to break in to these trailers with or without a lock, I more wanted the handle just for closing the door and hopefully it staying closed down the highway lol.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:41 PM   #11

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
donna D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I 100% agree with David. If you getting ready to paint, NOW is the time to change that lock to something not so obscure. Don't make more work for yourself in the future.
: maybe let Kootenai Gal know about the RV parts person in Centralia, WA also there is someone in CDA (cour de lane) sells parts but is slightly hard to find only been there once, Indianna, USA has 2 places and I think there is one other in a state about 20 minutes north. Donna D I think you know of a lot of places I don't know about.
Stude